Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standing up to family for what you believe in
Standing up to family for what you believe in
Hi y'all

How have you dealt with religious family members who try to tell you have to do something, when you don't have to or have no responsibility to? So my grandpa isn't doing well health wise and a family member told me, 'you better be at the funeral' I told them this doesn't change my stance on anything and I told them sternly no, I won't be, as I want nothing to do with anything religious and me attending won't bring him back, when he goes. How would you handle this? I get it, might be rude, but if family won't accept my view on something, I'm not dealing with them.
RE: Standing up to family for what you believe in
I'd go, not because of family pressure, assuming that my relationship with Gramps was loving. I'd keep my lack of faith to myself and focus on honoring the dearly departed instead. Going to a do that features religion doesn't mean you're religious.

Years ago when my mom died I went to her funeral at the church the family (not me) attended.

At the graveside service the preacher - a pushy, shifty cocksucker - decided it was a good time to go after me personally. During his long rambling prayer - he and I were the only ones with our eyes open - heads unbowed. 

We were eyes locked as he went on about how this was the time for the wayward to come to Jebus. (Words to that effect)

I shot him the bird.

He never bothered me again.

Funny thing - they got rid of him shortly afterwards.
Go to the funeral but you don't have to pray or go to the church. Look at the priest or pastor as just another attendee. Maybe you could give a speech after him and top him.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I don't attend memorials or funerals. I'd rather remember them living than view them dead.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 4, 2022 at 8:10 am)brewer Wrote: I don't attend memorials or funerals. I'd rather remember them living than view them dead.
Seeing my grandpa's dead body in the casket was very traumatic. I wish I hadn't seen that.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
I have arranged for a totally not religious funeral, also stipulated the the cheapest coffin/body bag be used, no point spending good beer money to feed the worms or the flames
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Remember - the funeral isn' t for you - or the horizontal attendee --- it' s for the other mourners.

You' re there for them - and they for you .

You will still have your beliefs whether you attend or not - but should you refuse to go - you might lose some standing with those that wish you were there.....

Ultimately - it' s your call....
(April 4, 2022 at 9:59 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Remember - the funeral isn' t for you - or the horizontal attendee --- it' s for the other mourners.

You' re there for them - and they for you .

You will still have your beliefs whether you attend or not - but should you refuse to go - you might lose some standing with those that wish you were there.....

Ultimately - it' s your call....

Completely agree.  The act of going to a wake and/or funeral is to show respect and express your condolences to the family.

The choice of how they grieve/bury their loved one is theirs.  I don't challenge that, nor do I think at the time of death is the time to get in a pissing contest over belief or lack thereof.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

If it wasn't for funerals, I would never see much of my family.  I always go.  Atheism isn't a chip on my shoulder.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5027 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Quick Poll - Do you believe in God? Tiberius 1632 451568 May 13, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1811 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5334 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 8123 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13482 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4039 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Thanksgiving and Family BrokenQuill92 18 3136 December 7, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Guys do you believe Howard Storm's NDE? arda101 208 54581 March 6, 2017 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  How religious or nonreligious is your family? Casca 44 4185 December 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: camlov2019