Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 9:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Shoutbox Navigation Issues
Full Shoutbox Navigation Issues
Someone mentioned on the shoutbox today that it is almost impossible to access conversations in the shoutbox that are more than a few days old.

I noticed this a while back and was wondering if there was any way to resolve this issue. As it stands, you can only travel two pages at a time, and you cannot search, nor can you look up specific dates. The conversation (if you would call it that) with jstrodel tonight took around fifty pages in and of itself.

Moving in two page increments when you don't know the date of the shout makes it almost impossible to find stuff. I don't use the feature incredibly often, but maybe it is partially for that reason...
RE: Full Shoutbox Navigation Issues
[Image: IcN9wQB.jpg]
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).

It would be nice if the shoutbox had an irc dongle or whatever. AF channel is always empty, and I don't care to keep switching back to the shoutbox. I suppose I could put a copy on my secondary monitor...

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Two chats are kinda redundant. Would be so good if one could feed into the other. But then they are two different things, with different purposes. If you want a conversation, move to irc. Invite other shouters in there.. It's not hard to do.
(March 22, 2013 at 3:03 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Two chats are kinda redundant. Would be so good if one could feed into the other. But then they are two different things, with different purposes. If you want a conversation, move to irc. Invite other shouters in there.. It's not hard to do.

Dammit, fr0d0, that's the second or third time this week you've said something I completely agree with. Stop it! Big Grin
(March 22, 2013 at 2:22 am)apophenia Wrote:

It would be nice if the shoutbox had an irc dongle or whatever. AF channel is always empty, and I don't care to keep switching back to the shoutbox. I suppose I could put a copy on my secondary monitor...

I really like that idea.

But to make it light for our servers, we'd have to have a server bot repost it in the irv chat and then make it so that chat messages to the server irc bot is reradiated to chat like:
DarwinBot: Synackaon says "Well shit"

It may increase overhead though
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Having DarwinBot update the shoutbox with stuff can be easily done, given that he already updates other parts of the forum database (the number of people in the chatroom for example). However, I think it would cause more issues that it solves.

There really aren't two different "chats". The shoutbox is meant for shouts...i.e. short announcements that don't necessarily relate to one another. If you are having a conversation in it, then you are doing it wrong. Threads are supposed to be for long conversations; if you want a casual chat, use the chatroom.

I've been in favour of removing the shoutbox for a while now, but people seem to want it there. I'm not going to waste time developing features which really shouldn't have any presence in a shoutbox though.
(April 6, 2013 at 8:51 pm)Tiberius Wrote: The shoutbox is meant for shouts...i.e. short announcements that don't necessarily relate to one another. If you are having a conversation in it, then you are doing it wrong. Threads are supposed to be for long conversations; if you want a casual chat, use the chatroom.

I've been in favour of removing the shoutbox for a while now, but people seem to want it there. I'm not going to waste time developing features which really shouldn't have any presence in a shoutbox though.

Fair enough.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is slack a private social club and other issues my sorry ass has landed itself in Angrboda 89 11683 April 22, 2023 at 10:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Server issues Foxaèr 4 2168 March 6, 2023 at 8:28 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Shoutbox question Dancefortwo 4 900 September 24, 2018 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Having site issues Foxaèr 11 1652 November 1, 2017 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Can't get back to full version LostLocke 3 1186 August 28, 2016 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Is anyone else having issues loading the forum? Losty 19 2412 June 14, 2016 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Shoutbox Kudos! Edwardo Piet 4 1378 April 11, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Shoutbox RozKek 5 1130 April 10, 2016 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: RozKek
  BB Mobile Version / Full Version drfuzzy 12 2120 November 21, 2015 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Shoutbox leaking into forum LostLocke 3 1519 April 1, 2015 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan