Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is belief really a choice?
Is belief really a choice?
I don't think so.
It seems anybody that doesn't believe says that belief isn't a choice.
Anybody that does believe seems to tell me that they choose to believe and atheists choose not to believe.

I find this patently absurd. Is it just me that seems to find this correlation?
RE: Is belief really a choice?
I am thinking you are referring to an observation made famous by Mr Richard Dawkins. Something along the lines of "the religious will inculcate their children so that they WILL believe Where atheists allow their children to discover WHY they don't believe."
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 22, 2013 at 9:41 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: I am thinking you are referring to an observation made famous by Mr Richard Dawkins. Something along the lines of "the religious will inculcate their children so that they WILL believe Where atheists allow their children to discover WHY they don't believe."

Though I don't recall, I'm sure I will have heard him say that.
Also, how does it account for the adults that - for some unknown reason - 'convert' to a religion.
I think this will all end on a nature vs nurture debate. I tend for nurture in this aspect, as people might be so heavily indoctrinated that they don't see anything else. What choice there is, if you take the beliefs in god as default and all your life swirls around it?
Good question and I am bound to leave that one for others.

As an offering I might suggest that the indoctrination may take a very long while to be free of. And even then may still cause distress and harm to the one striving to be free of religion.

Have you seen this?
[Image: 423788_359254780759883_853257010_n.jpg]

or perhaps this..

[Image: 486107_452077174866773_1422974955_n.jpg]

or lastly

[Image: 551413_517690961616791_1557572510_n.jpg]

All funny in a way but all conveying the message that religion has no answers..only slavery for it's adherents.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
If you are convinced that something is true, you believe it, otherwise you don't. You cannot will yourself to believe, although you might be able to strengthen an existing belief temporarily by shielding yourself from alternative explanations. A child who happens to catch his parents placing presents under the Christmas tree may try to rationalize what he saw, or simply deny it. And if his parents decide to offer up a poor explanation for what he saw, he may readily accept it because giving up the belief in Santa Claus is unappealing.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(March 22, 2013 at 9:43 am)Joel Wrote: Also, how does it account for the adults that - for some unknown reason - 'convert' to a religion.

Cognitive dissonance is a funny thing.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(March 22, 2013 at 9:35 am)Joel Wrote: I don't think so.
It seems anybody that doesn't believe says that belief isn't a choice.
Anybody that does believe seems to tell me that they choose to believe and atheists choose not to believe.

I find this patently absurd. Is it just me that seems to find this correlation?

You're right, either you believe in something or you don't.
If you do believe in god however then you have choice of varieties.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

It must be morning.

I first read the thread title as "Is beef really a choice?" An interesting topic in its own right, but certainly not this thread.

I don't have a developed view on this other than to suggest that the stereotypical response of "We don't choose what we believe," is likely wrong, lacking considerable nuance, and probably a category error (ontological).

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Depends about what, and what person, and what circumstances.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belief without Verification or Certainty vulcanlogician 40 3316 May 11, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1798 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Pro Choice is Slavery? Jade-Green Stone 36 3452 November 15, 2018 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2559 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8034 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  William James and Belief In Belief Mudhammam 0 623 November 2, 2016 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Knowledge and belief in God Harris 37 4552 April 29, 2016 at 8:00 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Test my belief system robvalue 84 12308 September 8, 2015 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Sappho
  The Ethics of Belief Pyrrho 32 7639 July 25, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  In regard to the rational person's choice Mohammed1212 23 6049 April 27, 2015 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: noctalla