Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Jesus Exist? (TTA Podcast Thread)
Did Jesus Exist? (TTA Podcast Thread)
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thethinking...rd-carrier

What do you all think? Do you completely disbelieve his existence?
Or do you believe he was real, but not the son of God?
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
RE: Did Jesus Exist? (TTA Podcast Thread)
I dont even care.

Why???

He isnt relevant to my life nore does he deliver anything that could be relevant in todays sociaty in any way.
I agree that he isn't relevant, but I care in a sense, because it's a widely debated subject - it would be interesting to know whether or not he was actually a real person.
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
He certainly did not exist as jesus freaks imagine him to be.

And...anything less than a resurrected miracle worker means that for all intents and purposes he did not exist at all.

Sucks to be them.
It's kind of funny that people debate his existence. For example Bart Ehrman claims he exists, but did no miracles, preached different things, wasn't resurrected. At what point is something so loosely based on the narrative of an actual person that it becomes entirely fictional?

If you discount the miracles and supernatural then the question becomes: Was Jesus an entirely fictional person or a highly fictionalized version of a real person? You can see why I cease to give two shits.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
These are the same people who think suffering shows that god is good. We're not talking intellectual titans, here.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
"Sophisticated" Christian Apologists will readily admit that the other gods were just myths, as opposed to just demons (which is the view of the New Testament writers). Arguing for the historicity of the Gospels is a key part of their apologetics. Admit to the public that you believe these other "gods" do exist, however they are demons is rightfully seen as sane people as tin foil hat nuttery.

Therefore I have concluded if you can argue convicting that the Gospels and the Jesus portrayed in them are myth like what these apologists claim of other gods such as Mithras and Attis. Then you have delivered a major defeat to their Apologetic strategy. I do believe that these apologists know that the Christ Myth Hypothesis is a major threat and therefore dismiss by saying things like denying the historicity of Jesus is akind to holocaust denial (Michael Licona said exactly that).

I personally believe if there was a historical character behind the Jesus of the Gospels, we know virtually nothing about him. Because everything in the Gospels has been borrowed from the Old Testament, Hellenistic literature and the other Dying and Rising God and Mystery cults.
undefined

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 38551 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 19152 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4404 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 5868 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus decompose? Natachan 77 5877 March 26, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8500 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How long did Jesus spend in Hell? Gawdzilla Sama 43 7020 February 5, 2018 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  On this world if humans ceased to exist would god cease to exist? brewer 58 12381 November 24, 2017 at 3:17 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Did Jesus Christ ever tell a joke ? The Wise Joker 12 2701 January 31, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Jesus did not rise from the dead -- My debate opening statement. Jehanne 155 23899 January 21, 2017 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd