Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happens to religion if we conquer death?
What happens to religion if we conquer death?
We know that the human body is a biological machine which eventually breaks down due to old age and accumulated physical insults. What happens if medical science overcomes these limitations by some method?

Death is extremely important to all religion, especially the Yahweh monotheisms, which are really nothing more than apocalyptic death cults. If, through nanotechnology or advanced biotechnology, a person can live as long as they wish, what happens to the cults which rely strongly on afterlife promises to persist when the afterlife is no longer a practical concern?
RE: What happens to religion if we conquer death?
religion will try to "deconquer" death I asume.

or find some kind of exuse like "We still dont know what comes after death!"
There is much more to death than ageing- there accidents, cosmic events, violence, starvation, over-population, pollution, and the fact that the universe itself will probably 'die' too. SO if we were able to remove ALL of these factors from the picture, we'd have achieved god-status ourselves. Good luck with that Smile

What will happen to religion? I guess it will cease to exist: If there is a god/s, we will stop worshipping it/them, because we'd be one of them!
I'm kinda busy and don't have much time for these forums, so if you respond to this post, don't expect me to reply immediately- but I will try to get back to you sometime.
Salvation is not limited to Heaven and Hell. One still needs to be delivered from sin while manifest earthly. Besides, people will still die because of accidents.
Ya, I'm guessing now that death is conquered, we'd continue on with another goal: sin. All human evil would have to be conquered too.
There will be a day when even the dead will rise and all will live forever, and all will bow and say God is LORD. See you idea is not far fetched, it's how we get there you have wrong.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
When I first read the title, I thought you meant what would happen if we were somehow able to bridge the gap between this life and the after-life. There's a story floating around on the internet about Heaven and Hell declaring war on earth and getting stomped to the curb. It's a great read; let me see if I can find it again...

Here it is:
http://www.tboverse.us/HPCAFORUM/phpBB3/...m.php?f=29

Armageddon is the first book detailing Hell versus earth, while Pantheocide is the second one concerning... well, the title says it all I think.
(March 29, 2013 at 3:53 am)Godschild Wrote: There will be a day when even the dead will rise and all will live forever, and all will bow and say God is LORD.

No, lol, there won't.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 26, 2013 at 10:01 pm)Ryantology Wrote: We know that the human body is a biological machine which eventually breaks down due to old age and accumulated physical insults. What happens if medical science overcomes these limitations by some method?

Death is extremely important to all religion, especially the Yahweh monotheisms, which are really nothing more than apocalyptic death cults. If, through nanotechnology or advanced biotechnology, a person can live as long as they wish, what happens to the cults which rely strongly on afterlife promises to persist when the afterlife is no longer a practical concern?

If you want to stop death you also will have to stop the time and all other phenomena which are part and parcel of this universe.
They all go hand in hand.
In other words is IMPOSSIBLE.
What's wrong with going with the natural flow of nature?
Would you be happy with driving the same car even when the car start falling apart?
My body can well go to the dogs.
It does not really worry me because i know i will get a brain new body.Angel
Re: What happens to religion if we conquer death?
They will say goddidit and go on about their business.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star What happens after death? Fishkiss 52 8685 October 19, 2017 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Thumbs Up Why do people worry what happens after death,but dont think what happens before birth MountainsWinAgain 14 3663 June 21, 2014 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: RaisdCath
  What Happens When God is Nature? The_Flying_Skeptic 22 8301 June 9, 2010 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: theophilus