Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The difference between knives and guns
The difference between knives and guns
Whenever the political talks turn to guns, we always get a similar line from the NRA talking about how dangerous knives or cars are. So, how about we demonstrate the difference, right here?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/0...Y420130409

In the Sandy Hook shooting, a gun went on a rampage with guns and killed 27 people. In the story above, a guy went on a rampage with a knife and injured 14 people. Not only were fewer people injured, but the people were INJURED, not KILLED. This does make me wonder, suppose Adam Lanza had gone on his rampage with knives instead of guns; what would the end result be? Would anybody really even know about the town of Sandy Hook? Would it have made the news other than a minor/local blip?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: The difference between knives and guns
I like that they tasered the shit out of him (rather than shot him).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
He wouldn't have been able to kill as many if he had a knife instead of a gun. So probably it wouldn't be as big of a deal.
(April 10, 2013 at 10:54 am)Rhythm Wrote: I like that they tasered the shit out of him (rather than shot him).

Such leniency is rare in Texas.
(April 10, 2013 at 1:04 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: He wouldn't have been able to kill as many if he had a knife instead of a gun. So probably it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

You know... this is nonsense. Mass shooters are of a different psychology than a mass knifer.

I'm far more afraid of the cutthroat in the dark who gets off on quickly and pointlessly killing someone without a sound... the other is faster, and you can usually see it coming in the case of a mass-shooting.

People who try to 'go on a rampage' aren't creative motherfuckers who genuinely desire to, well... The Joker. Or me, if I went evil. Best to avoid that.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I wonder what would have happened if the staff at that school had been armed instead of defenseless...

Maybe the same thing would have gone down, or maybe return fire would have injured or scared / held off the gunman until the police arrived.
Or perhaps they would have achieved an even better score than the NYC police in shooting innocent bystanders?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/nyregi...3Dall&_r=0

Quote: The encounter was breathtakingly brief: a surveillance video showed a gunman outside the Empire State Building on Friday pulling a pistol, pointing it at two police officers, their firing at him and his falling to the sidewalk.

All the yelling and cries of pain occurred out of camera view, just north of where the gunman, Jeffrey T. Johnson, collapsed and died: nine bystanders were struck, cradling bloody arms or lying on the sidewalks and curbs.

The police commissioner, Raymond W. Kelly, confirmed on Saturday that all nine were wounded by police bullets, bullet fragments or shrapnel from ricochets. Mr. Kelly also confirmed that the shooter, Mr. Johnson, never fired another shot after killing a former co-worker, Steven Ercolino, moments earlier.

“We had a witness that said that Johnson fired at the police,” Mr. Kelly said Saturday. “But the final count of the shells, it appears that that is not the case.”
(April 10, 2013 at 4:41 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I wonder what would have happened if the staff at that school had been armed instead of defenseless...

Maybe the same thing would have gone down, or maybe return fire would have injured or scared / held off the gunman until the police arrived.

I'm a student at a community college in the same area. We have, for security, armed policed officers. They had guns, but they didn't need to use them in this case.

If someone was trained to use a gun, in this situation, they probably would have known better than to use it in the first place. Fact was, the guy with the knife had to be close to others to stab them, which would make it really easy to accidentally shoot the innocent bystanders you're intending to protect. Those chances go way up if the gun is in the hands of someone who really hasn't undergone significant training.

The idea that more guns makes us safer just doesn't pan out. It's an idea promoted by people who have a vested financial interest in selling more guns, so I'm highly critical. They make money and accomplish their job from selling guns, not from society being safe. If it were an idea promoted by law enforcement organizations, I'd be more receptive.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Both sides are going about it wrong...we must focus on mental health rather than on a band-aid solution, but Americans tend to ignore issues until after it is far too late to make a difference. American society is reactive instead of proactive.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(April 10, 2013 at 10:52 pm)Polaris Wrote: Both sides are going about it wrong...we must focus on mental health rather than on a band-aid solution, but Americans tend to ignore issues until after it is far too late to make a difference. American society is reactive instead of proactive.
Removing pieces of equipment that are specifically designed to kill isn't a band-aid solution when trying to decrease killings.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did guns or vaccines save more lives in 2021? FlatAssembler 94 7885 January 27, 2023 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  No More Guns Foxaèr 75 5138 August 1, 2021 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Ghost Guns - one of the left's lies. onlinebiker 33 2149 June 23, 2021 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Want to sell more guns? Vote ( D ) onlinebiker 145 7810 February 26, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Let’s take their guns BrokenQuill92 141 9922 November 22, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Bringing out the big guns. onlinebiker 24 1637 August 17, 2020 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Do ( D )s sell more guns than ( R )s? onlinebiker 170 12622 February 22, 2019 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can the polarization between Democrats and Republicans in the U.S. be reversed? Angrboda 36 5795 December 4, 2018 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Difference between Pompeo and 45.... Brian37 3 628 July 23, 2018 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Can someone please explain the difference? Losty 12 1249 June 26, 2018 at 12:51 am
Last Post: ignoramus