Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 19, 2024, 12:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COMPUTING: Awesome Freeware Windows Utilities
COMPUTING: Awesome Freeware Windows Utilities
*** Posted at Petri Forums ***
Hi,

I thought I'd start a thread about freeware Windows utilities (don't care if they are open or closed source) as I have a few to suggest and I figured some of you guys might have some good ideas too:

RD Tabs (currently v2.1) from Avian Waves Software
RD Tabs is simply a tabbed RDP client but with additional features such as favourites management, standard customisations, connection thumbnails and other features that if I kept on about it people might think I represent the company. It works fine on XP (inc. VMWare VDI's), Vista and Windows 7 as well as Windows 2000 and 2003.

Virtual CloneDrive (currently r5.4.3.2) from SlySoft
I've tried a few virtual CD/DVD's and they all work but this one is the simplest and best IMO ... once you mount an ISO it behaves just like a real drive and works on any Windows OS I've tried (inc. Win 7 64bit). 'nuff said!

CDBurnerXP
Once upon a time there was Nero and then it went wrong (burnt audio really bad) so I looked around and found CDBurnerXP but that didn't do Audio or burn/create ISO's so I found Burrrn which did Audio really well and ISO recorder which burned ISO's and ... but then CDBurnerXP went up to v4.x.x and it's just awesome! It does pretty much all the things I used to get from Nero (to be fair to Nero I think it does more now than then) including burning CDs & DVDs (and apparently Blu-Ray & HD-DVD but I wouldn't know much about that), the audio handling is superb, it can create bootable CD's, can convert NRG to ISO's, prints covers (no idea if it works with lightscribe drives) and works fine on XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 200 & 2003.

So ... anyone got any other decent (free) Windows utilities they'd like to recommend?

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: COMPUTING: Awesome Freeware Windows Utilities
I like http://www.ccleaner.com/ a lot. Crap cleaner has saved me a couple of re-installs on occasion.

IRfanview: http://www.irfanview.com/ my very favorite media viewer.

VLC: http://www.videolan.org a very nice videoplayer.

Aptana Studio: http://www.aptana.com/studio/ Website design and programming studio. It features optimizations for Javascript, HTML, Ajax, Ruby on Rails, PHP, CSS and many others.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Thanks Leo! I'm using CCleaner now! Very awesome! Big Grin

I tried spybot but I don't really like it.

My recommendations would be:
Ad-Aware (The full system scan takes quite a while to complete but in my experience its a great scanner/cleaner)

and http://www.SourceForge.net has a lot of awesome programs that are freeware. Big Grin
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
btw, I'm using rdtabs for a while now, it is very good indeed.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awesome names for baby boys and baby girls ErGingerbreadMandude 37 4193 February 14, 2018 at 2:40 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  C/L, Avoid English Windows At All Costs!!! Minimalist 40 9160 September 8, 2017 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Finally updated to Windows 10 and.... Silver 20 4594 August 30, 2015 at 9:59 am
Last Post: IATIA
  Christians, This is Why You Shouldn't Evangelize to Us - Another awesome TAV video IanHulett 10 2741 August 10, 2015 at 4:16 am
Last Post: abaris
  Forum Game: You're awesome! Jericho 21 3234 May 17, 2015 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Longhorn
  Reasons Dave Grohl is Awesome Cinjin 14 5595 April 29, 2014 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Awesome and beautiful apartment abandoned for 70s discovered almost untouched Ryantology 10 3683 February 3, 2014 at 2:51 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Awesome videogame instrumental covers Cyberman 1 997 February 2, 2014 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Sometimes, nightmares are awesome JosephBowie 11 4356 April 22, 2013 at 7:41 am
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  Tiberius is wicked awesome Shell B 16 4710 November 27, 2012 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: Tiberius