Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 7:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally updated to Windows 10 and....
Finally updated to Windows 10 and....
I am not seeing about what the hooplah is.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Finally updated to Windows 10 and....
The biggest hooplah seems to be the amount of intrusive data collection going on behind the scenes:

https://www.rt.com/usa/311304-new-window...cy-issues/

Quote:As examples, Porta cited Microsoft having access to contacts, calendar details, and “other associated input data” such as “typing and inking” by default. The operating system also wants access to user locations and location history, both of which could be provided not just to Microsoft, but to its “trusted partners.”

“Who are the trusted partners? By whom are they trusted? I am certainly not the one doing any trusting right now,” Porta wrote, describing the default privacy options as “vague and bordering on scary.”

Alec Meer of the ‘Rock, Paper, Shotgun’ blog pointed out this passage in Microsoft’s 12,000-word, 45-page terms of use agreement:

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.”

While most people are used to ads as the price of accessing free content, writes Meer, Microsoft is not making it clear enough that they are “gathering and storing vast amounts of data on your computing habits,” not just browser data.

Opting out of all these default settings requires navigating 13 different screens and a separate website, the bloggers have found.

This is why Microsoft is "giving away" Windows 10. They want in on Google's advertising $$ turf. Of course, Google already does much of the same on every Android phone in existence and with every Google search.
Commie bastards.
Gee, I thought we were all just going to be beta testers.

Again.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(August 28, 2015 at 11:29 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Gee, I thought we were all just going to be beta testers.

Again.

The conspiracy is bigger than we anticipated, comrades.

[Image: gh2KMrW.jpg?1]
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
This is a rumour I heard from someone reasonably reliable: they are trying to get people to pay monthly subscriptions just for having windows, and are offering it for free to reel people in. He also mentioned the data collection stuff as noted above.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Scary shit Undecided
What am I going to do the five times a year I use windows??! I'm doooomed!

But seriously, I just had to buy office because the publisher wants certain things in that format, so it is kinda important. Also, many streaming video services don't work on linux. I was tempted to update for those purposes...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 28, 2015 at 10:50 am)JesusHChrist Wrote: Opting out of all these default settings requires navigating 13 different screens and a separate website, the bloggers have found.

That is fairly easily done. I did it in 10 minutes or less. If that's all there is then it's not much to worry about. I suspect that's not all, though. Thanks for the heads up.

Even my brother knew about this. I just asked him whether he upgraded. He said I couldn't get my old licensed version back though. Is that true? Do I have to buy it again or pirate it? Is it worth it to do even that? What OS should I change to, if not?
Undecided
This is why I love linux.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wow , I have finally reached the last semester of my education :) Megabullshit 14 1642 April 15, 2019 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Megabullshit
  I finally took the plunge. Brian37 16 966 March 18, 2018 at 8:47 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Well, I've finally lost it. Gawdzilla Sama 0 609 January 27, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  It's finally over..... For now. Brian37 28 3064 December 26, 2017 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  C/L, Avoid English Windows At All Costs!!! Minimalist 40 8390 September 8, 2017 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Uh-oh, maybe Facebook is finally gone Foxaèr 7 1549 June 16, 2017 at 10:02 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Finally got his autograph!! SofaKingHigh 24 4513 October 26, 2016 at 9:12 am
Last Post: SofaKingHigh
Information UK finally catching up! Aractus 8 1108 October 15, 2016 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  We've finally done it! Violet 49 5764 May 6, 2016 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is Windows 7 'only' Vista tweaked? Oldandeasilyconfused 13 3640 July 21, 2010 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Tiberius