Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
101 Years Ago
101 Years Ago
101 years ago, 2:20 am, April 15, 1912, the Titanic sank in the Atlantic Ocean after colliding with an iceberg.

April 14th, 1912 @ 11:40 pm, the Titanic collided with the iceberg...In less than three hours afterward, April 15th @ 2:20 am the Titanic sank...Better than 1500 people lost their lives...there were only a little more than 700 survivors...

[Image: titanicredo02.jpg]
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: 101 Years Ago
Poor design, shoddy construction and a lot of damned bad luck.
(April 15, 2013 at 7:51 pm)A Theist Wrote: Better than 1500 people lost their lives...

More than, not "better."
(April 15, 2013 at 7:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Poor design, shoddy construction and a lot of damned bad luck.

Actually, no. It's design was as good as any of the era and well above what was considered to be adequate. It's construction was also well above standard and probably as good as any. It's silly to say she would not meet 2010 Safety of Life at Sea standards and therefore a poor design for her time.

As it happens, she probably would have survived the damage that sank the 2006 Costia Concordia last year.

But very bad luck indeed.
(April 15, 2013 at 8:21 pm)Chuck Wrote: But very bad luck indeed.

And poor communication.
Weren't the hulls of ships of that day made almost exclusively using "pig iron"? Seems I listened or read something years ago that claimed that the Titanic took so much damage due to having a pig iron hull that was very brittle. I dunno.
Stand before the people you fear and speak your mind - even if your voice shakes.
Maggie Kuhn
(April 15, 2013 at 8:21 pm)Chuck Wrote: Actually, no. It's design was as good as any of the era and well above what was considered to be adequate. It's construction was also well above standard and probably as good as any. It's silly to say she would not meet 2010 Safety of Life at Sea standards and therefore a poor design for her time.

As it happens, she probably would have survived the damage that sank the 2006 Costia Concordia last year.

I don't know, considering that the Titanic was one of two ships of that design. It's sister ship was called the Britannic. You know what happened to it? It sank. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMHS_Britannic
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
... Bioshock: Infinite takes place?
(April 15, 2013 at 8:21 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(April 15, 2013 at 7:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Poor design, shoddy construction and a lot of damned bad luck.

Actually, no. It's design was as good as any of the era and well above what was considered to be adequate. It's construction was also well above standard and probably as good as any. It's silly to say she would not meet 2010 Safety of Life at Sea standards and therefore a poor design for her time.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...liner.html

Quote:In the rush to beat competition from Cunard, the White Star liner was supplied with a vessel that was made using substandard materials.

McCarty and Foecke tested 48 rivets recovered from the wreck and found they had high levels of slag, a result of smelting that can make the iron brittle. If put under intense pressure, the rivets made from it would have been liable to splinter.

Plus the bulkheads did not go all the way up (poor design) there were too few lifeboats ( criminally negligent homicide!) and rescue ships with radio capability were too far away...but they were only too far away because the ship sank so fast.
(April 15, 2013 at 8:58 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(April 15, 2013 at 8:21 pm)Chuck Wrote: Actually, no. It's design was as good as any of the era and well above what was considered to be adequate. It's construction was also well above standard and probably as good as any. It's silly to say she would not meet 2010 Safety of Life at Sea standards and therefore a poor design for her time.

I don't know, considering that the Titanic was one of two ships of that design. It's sister ship was called the Britannic. You know what happened to it? It sank. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMHS_Britannic

Three. There was also the RMS Olympic, which did not sink.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ten Short Years Foxaèr 6 695 March 15, 2023 at 11:29 am
Last Post: brewer
  US China war 70 years later Apollo 10 709 December 14, 2020 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: Apollo
  I have given up smoking 6 months ago , but ... Megabullshit 95 3399 April 1, 2020 at 6:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Most memorable New Years onlinebiker 8 535 January 1, 2019 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  45 years later, at a sports bar....... Brian37 4 427 September 10, 2018 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  One year ago today Joods 32 3051 July 2, 2018 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Joods
  Attention seeking thread #101 Mystic 7 704 April 21, 2018 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How do you imagine the world millions of years from now? Macoleco 34 3478 April 15, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Macoleco
  New Years Resolutions? paulpablo 24 1657 January 4, 2018 at 8:51 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  1000 years (just for fun) Catholic_Lady 43 9747 July 30, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Astonished