Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 10:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Atheism is a religion (according to D. Smartt)
Atheism is a religion (according to D. Smartt)
The following abstract does not represent my views:
"Atheists often claim that their belief is not a religion. This allows them to propagate their beliefs in settings where other religions are banned, but this should not be so. (...) The dichotomy that Atheists try to create between science and religion is false. The conflict is between interpretations of science coming from different religious worldviews.
Atheism shouldn’t be taught or enforced in settings where other religions are banned and shouldn’t be favoured by laws which imply a religiously neutral government."

(Smartt, D. (05/04/2010), "Atheism: A religion", http://creation.com/atheism-a-religion)

The article states that atheism has six of the seven attributes of a religion (defined by Ninian Smart);
it is narrative (evolution is a story that leads to atheism), experiential (it requires faith in abiogenesis), social (atheists convert religious people to atheism via teaching evolution), doctrinal (Secular Humanism is a doctrine of atheism), ethical (it gives moral guidelines, which are derived from other religions) and material (nature is treated as divine).

And there is more. One of the comments (again, not my views):
"They [atheists] use circular reasoning, bait and switch tactics, and the 'pot calling the kettle black' routine. I myself used to believe in evolution until I went for higher education and I noticed problems in the theories that were largely ignored. (...) They believe in God but they hate him obscenely. I think this is the root of all of atheism." (sic)
(the text between square brackets is added by me)

It does seem that Mr. Smartt has made some errors in his article. What do you think?
RE: Atheism is a religion (according to D. Smartt)
I think he sounds like an idiot.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(April 30, 2013 at 1:08 pm)Luminox Wrote: It does seem that Mr. Smartt has made some errors in his article. What do you think?

He hasn't gotten one thing correct.

So, yeah, I'd say his article is loaded with errors.

What an ass-hat.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Simon and Tonus pretty much captured what I was going to say, but I've been looking for an opportunity to exclaim "What a crock of shit!"

What a crock of shit!

Big Grin
Hey, could we be due a tax break?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Hope so. A bit of funding would make propogating our beliefs so much easier.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
The more people I can get to share my "atheistic world view" the better.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Personally, I've never been able to deconvert anybody. People believe what they want to believe, despite all logic.
All we need to do is instill faith in abiogenesis by teaching religious people the story of evolution and the doctrine of Secular Humanism, then they will hate God obscenely, treat nature as divine and derive their morals from other religions. Tomorrow the world!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Re: Atheism is a religion (according to D. Smartt)
I can't wait to drink the blood and body of divine nature. Oh wait...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5001 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Pride - the worst sin according to C.S.Lewis Duty 72 7438 February 25, 2023 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Information The worst thing according to Iranians Eclectic 2 856 September 19, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 11417 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4286 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24830 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 6032 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8610 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27204 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  According to thehumanist.com most of us are "village atheists" Lemonvariable72 14 2546 May 22, 2016 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: KevinM1