Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number of atheists on the rise? And Muslims?
Number of atheists on the rise? And Muslims?
I read some articles that mention some significant information: since 2005 there has been a significant increase of atheists in most European countries (for example, according to some sources, in Italy there was a 3% increase) and this increase there was also in America.

As for Eastern Europe there has been a slight increase in religiosity (1 to 2%), while it is commonly said that the Muslims are increasing and there are many conversions in Western countries.

What do you think? Do you have any official data?

P.S. excuse my grammatical errors
RE: Number of atheists on the rise? And Muslims?
I would suspect the increase in Muslims is due to immigrants/refugees.
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
In the US the number of atheists, agnostics, and other non-believers has risen to just under 20%. Even in the most religious states in the US, atheists are on the rise. Mississippi is one of our most religious states (if not the most religious state) and atheists there make up about 13% of the population. I'll see if I can dig up actual stats later. I just attended a secular conference so I'm going on memory right now.
Most of the statistics I see are completely biased to fuck. I've seen almost every group claim to be the fastest growing somewhere or another.
(May 2, 2013 at 8:21 am)festive1 Wrote: In the US the number of atheists, agnostics, and other non-believers has risen to just under 20%. Even in the most religious states in the US, atheists are on the rise. Mississippi is one of our most religious states (if not the most religious state) and atheists there make up about 13% of the population. I'll see if I can dig up actual stats later. I just attended a secular conference so I'm going on memory right now.

These data make me happy Smile unfortunately there is also to say that there is an increase of Muslims. Islam, right now, is the religion that there may be more harmful.

Christianity, despite his bigoted view of the world, now it is almost never helpless.
This doesn't have a breakdown by state, but it's interesting none-the-less: http://www.pewforum.org/Unaffiliated/non...-rise.aspx
Most of this 20% are not identifying as atheist or agnostic, rather simply saying they identify as "none."

ETA: Insanity, I'd like to hear more about how these types of stats are biased. Not being confrontational, just curious to learn more Smile
Well, I found a reliable source for the Finnish statistics on this. According to it year 2003 there were 2 748 muslims registered and in 2011 10 088. People who weren't associated with any religion were 706 898 in 2003 and in 2011 1 087 972. So there's a definite rise for both groups here.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1915 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Atheism seems to rise in Turkey Woah0 1 833 September 11, 2022 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2319 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4474 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2199 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Muslims are using this NASA video as proof that islam is true and that allah exists LetThereBeNoGod 10 3962 February 16, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Is Atheism on the rise? Incognito 44 3858 June 25, 2016 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Thumbs Up Number of male vs female atheists? MentalGiant 36 6095 October 10, 2015 at 9:40 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Atheism on the rise in the middle east dyresand 16 5274 June 14, 2015 at 11:42 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Atheism on the rise - Demographics Dystopia 36 5654 July 30, 2014 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Dystopia