Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estimation of Intelligence
Estimation of Intelligence
In your opinion, is it possible to get an idea of a person's intelligence based on their threads and comments on AF?
RE: Estimation of Intelligence
I hope not. That would make some of our members unable to feed and dress themselves.
(May 5, 2013 at 4:08 pm)Luminox Wrote: In your opinion, is it possible to get an idea of a person's intelligence based on their threads and comments on AF?

Maybe. Some people will act very differently online than IRL. Also, some otherwise perfectly rational theists may abandon reason to defend their faith, creating the illusion that they are less intelligent than they are. You can get what appears to be a decent picture sometimes, but not always. (e.g. I would rank apophenia as extremely intelligent and jstrodel...not so much. But for all I know, when not discussing theism, jstrodel could be fairly smart.)
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Perhaps some people have time to go out of their way to:
- research then post
- post abundantly about what they already know
- copy and paste from other sources

Perhaps some people really are as smart as they seem and it can be expressed through their argumentation style.

Perhaps some people don't have the time or energy to go out of their way to prove themselves, so they simply provide limited portions of themselves when they feel like doing so.

Perhaps someone is pretty stupid and their lack of coherency in their posts shows it.

Perhaps a person is smart, but also a troll who comes off as stupid.

How would you know just by their posts? I think we can get an idea, but never be sure really.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
I certainly hope I'm smarter than I appear.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
[Image: 0s9XWKy.jpg]

Yes, we can get at least some idea of a person's intelligence based on what they post here, but, obviously it's just going to be an estimation. Sometimes, it might even be completely off.

On top of that, our estimation of another person's level of intelligence is also subjective to a great extent because it will vary depending on our own intelligence, our perceptions, and our beliefs. Even outside the internet, our estimation of the intelligence of other people that we meet and know is always going to be subjective.

What people simply write on an internet forum only demonstrate a very, very small portion of their intelligence.
Intelligence is subjective so how it can be measured is, too. Although, I'm pretty sure the writings of someone can be used as a measurement of their intelligence in every subjective definition of intelligence.

Personally, I think intelligence is how you think - and not what you know.
(May 5, 2013 at 4:08 pm)Luminox Wrote: In your opinion, is it possible to get an idea of a person's intelligence based on their threads and comments on AF?

I have never heard of any IQ test based upon evaluating an essay which is essentially what you would be doing.

Second, most IQ tests are timed because given enough time most people can get most of the answers.

Third, even if there were some kind of generalized method how could you stop the use of google?

Define intelligence.

Not with precision; however, questions like these increase the likelihood you'll be included left of the median.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which do you think is a surer sign of low intelligence and/or low information? Whateverist 15 4698 June 14, 2017 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Which do you think is a surer sign of low intelligence and/or low information? Whateverist 2 760 June 14, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  A world without human intelligence? ignoramus 9 1812 June 1, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Social Anxiety With High IQ, Empathic Abilities, And Intelligence Foxaèr 6 1547 January 28, 2016 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Any good books on social intelligence? salamenfuckyou 0 776 April 18, 2014 at 11:25 am
Last Post: salamenfuckyou
  Basic intelligence in America.(rant) 5thHorseman 75 30425 July 31, 2012 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: CliveStaples
  intelligence in emotion TruthWorthy 29 8530 January 8, 2010 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  "Intelligence" Tests Tiberius 2 1696 April 10, 2009 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki