Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:34 am

Poll: Do emotions contribute intelligence?
This poll is closed.
Most of the time.
46.15%
6 46.15%
Rarely, if ever.
53.85%
7 53.85%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
intelligence in emotion
intelligence in emotion
What intelligence is contributed by emotion? Doesn't emotion shape and provide a backdrop for perception, give desire and passion to us for achieving our ends, accomplishing goals?

I'd like to hear what others think about the contribution made to intelligence, however you see it.
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
RE: intelligence in emotion
i must agree that i do get a good feeling when im right and i prove someone wrong, especialy if i hate them
Vampires will never hurt you.......Devil
(January 6, 2010 at 9:13 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: What intelligence is contributed by emotion? Doesn't emotion shape and provide a backdrop for perception, give desire and passion to us for achieving our ends, accomplishing goals?

I'd like to hear what others think about the contribution made to intelligence, however you see it.
How would you go about separating the two? In your mind I mean, not in writing, that's easy.
Do you confine emotions to one part of the brain? Also I believe emotion brings ambition, desires and goals to man. It's essential in social intelligence too.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Tongue 
To illustrate the deep entanglement of emotion and intelligence in our universe:

[youtube]XGK84Poeynk[/youtube]
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
I think they're totally connected, we couldn't have one without the other. Without emotions we wouldn't be us and without intellect we wouldn't. They naturally effect each other.

P.S: LOL @ that song!!

EvF
For more transcendental experience beyond the Iron Age surrogate: http://www.youtube.com/user/melodysheep
(January 6, 2010 at 5:11 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I think they're totally connected, we couldn't have one without the other. Without emotions we wouldn't be us and without intellect we wouldn't. They naturally effect each other.

EvF

us as in humans or us as in individual people?

I think if they were connected then they would have some type of correlation with each other.
(January 6, 2010 at 6:07 pm)Zhalentine Wrote:
(January 6, 2010 at 5:11 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I think they're totally connected, we couldn't have one without the other. Without emotions we wouldn't be us and without intellect we wouldn't. They naturally effect each other.

EvF

us as in humans or us as in individual people?

I think if they were connected then they would have some type of correlation with each other.

Psychologists say that emotions occur before actions take place, they motivate us. How can they be separate, then? Thoughts aren't emotions, you can solve problems without emotional intelligence. Note that "intelligence" is being used and not "content".
Thanks, btw for adding the "Symphony of Science" y'all Big GrinExclamation
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
Emotions are an earlier development, perhaps wholly unconnected in the evolution of intelligence other than a tool to motivate competition. Intelligence comes out of keeping track of who knows who. Read up on human evolution and social cognition. Fascinating stuff.
I had to vote no, but only because you didn't have a "they're detrimental" option.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which do you think is a surer sign of low intelligence and/or low information? Whateverist 15 4745 June 14, 2017 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Which do you think is a surer sign of low intelligence and/or low information? Whateverist 2 771 June 14, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  A world without human intelligence? ignoramus 9 1833 June 1, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  What is your Favorite Emotion? Shining_Finger 77 8571 May 3, 2016 at 3:30 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Social Anxiety With High IQ, Empathic Abilities, And Intelligence Foxaèr 6 1555 January 28, 2016 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Any good books on social intelligence? salamenfuckyou 0 781 April 18, 2014 at 11:25 am
Last Post: salamenfuckyou
  Estimation of Intelligence L.A.F. 61 16136 May 12, 2013 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  Basic intelligence in America.(rant) 5thHorseman 75 30525 July 31, 2012 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: CliveStaples
  Connection Between Intellect and Emotion? Edwardo Piet 12 4450 August 26, 2009 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  "Intelligence" Tests Tiberius 2 1702 April 10, 2009 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki