Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will we witness the transition from a type 0 to a type I civilization in 100 years?
Will we witness the transition from a type 0 to a type I civilization in 100 years?
Michio Kaku argues that we will reach a type I civilization in approximately 100 years (based on calculations, which are not mentioned in the video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n-tTst-vyQ

Do you think that mankind will reach this higher level within a century?
RE: Will we witness the transition from a type 0 to a type I civilization in 100 years?
No.

[Image: danish_cartoon_protest.jpg]

Too many shitheads running around loose.
RE: Will we witness the transition from a type 0 to a type I civilization in 100 years?
Thanks for posting that, it was quite interesting. To answer your question, I believe that it is going to take longer than that, due to the fact that we have far too many people who don't understand and are therefore frightened by the direction the world is inevitably moving in. They are going to fight tooth and nail for what they believe to be "right". But I also feel that we will get there (fingers crossed, lol)
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

No.
The religious will do what they always do and retard advancement.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Will we witness the transition from a type 0 to a type I civilization?
(May 9, 2013 at 12:42 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: No.

I am more inclined to state that politics and global economy will have a negative effect on human advancement, not religion.
I would personally posit that religion is the worst agent of all in retarding the advancement of our species. It is certainly having that effect here in the US.
Politics gets in the way very often because the religious zealots hijack the party, as they've done with the GOP. Religious fervor in general leads to hard core social conservatism, as is evidenced by the war of women's right to control her own body in this country, among other things. That is also true in the Islamic countries, the wingnuts want to take things back to the time of the prophet, ffs! Hitchens was right, religion poisons everything.
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

I think we will never fully reach level I unless we become prepared to substantially abandon our current notions of ecological sustainability and consciously embark on very large scale, calculated geoengineering, which in turn requires substantially different climate of international corporation than exists today.
(May 9, 2013 at 6:32 pm)Luminox Wrote:

I am more inclined to state that politics and global economy will have a negative effect on human advancement, not religion.

The politics and the economy of this globe are directly tied to religion. They are so intermingled that even countries that are predominately religion-free are caught up in the fact that a large majority of the world is not. We have millions of brainwashed half-wits like Drich, Godsdump, Undeceived, Statler, and the rest of the brothers in christ that spread religious stupidity like snake-oil salesmen. There's no way I would ever believe that we can achieve Type 1 status in a mere 100 years. 500 at best - probably more. As long as we have all these religious fucktards alive and breeding on this planet, we will be held back as a species. In fact, I'd wager that we are prime candidates for destroying ourselves long before we get the chance to rid ourselves of their filthy disease.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(May 9, 2013 at 6:32 pm)Luminox Wrote: I am more inclined to state that politics and global economy will have a negative effect on human advancement, not religion.

How about all 3? Tongue

All of which will also have a 'positive effect on human advancement'... what's the point?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(May 9, 2013 at 6:32 pm)Luminox Wrote:

I can't imagine what nuance you used to separate religion out of politics.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 55440 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  What's 700 Million Years Among Friends? Minimalist 15 3537 September 27, 2013 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Searching4truth
  100 year old paleontology mystery, solved! PaleoHuntr 0 970 February 26, 2013 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: PaleoHuntr
  MIT discovers new state of matter along with a new type of magnetism TaraJo 1 1737 December 24, 2012 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Discovery channel was not there in Mecca ,1400 years ago nomercy 3 2546 March 7, 2012 at 9:25 am
Last Post: NoMoreFaith
  World headed for irreversible climate change in five years, IEA warns Autumnlicious 57 14471 January 2, 2012 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Metal transition in Earth's core Welsh cake 7 3308 December 21, 2011 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Cassini: Four Years of Discovery Erinome 1 1327 October 18, 2011 at 5:24 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Temperature Dependence of Protein Folding Deduced from Quantum Transition Autumnlicious 4 2357 April 2, 2011 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: theVOID
Sad We've Known About Climate Change for 53 years now. TheDarkestOfAngels 32 10101 February 18, 2011 at 6:13 am
Last Post: ib.me.ub