Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Encouraging intelligence in our youth!! Finally!
Encouraging intelligence in our youth!! Finally!
I was reading a book, and saw this mentioned in it. I'm not sure how many of you are aware that it exists, I would imagine some of you already do, but its fantastic. Check out this link, and read about their goals. Atheism being promoted to kids!!! I wish something like this was available to me as a child.

Camp Quest
RE: Encouraging intelligence in our youth!! Finally!
(May 13, 2013 at 11:48 am)Texas Sailor Wrote: I was reading a book, and saw this mentioned in it. I'm not sure how many of you are aware that it exists, I would imagine some of you already do, but its fantastic. Check out this link, and read about their goals. Atheism being promoted to kids!!! I wish something like this was available to me as a child.

Camp Quest

This is great !
Wish they had one of these in Ireland. I would love to send my little brother to it.
We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
Richard Dawkins

(May 13, 2013 at 11:53 am)Gnosis Wrote:
(May 13, 2013 at 11:48 am)Texas Sailor Wrote: I was reading a book, and saw this mentioned in it. I'm not sure how many of you are aware that it exists, I would imagine some of you already do, but its fantastic. Check out this link, and read about their goals. Atheism being promoted to kids!!! I wish something like this was available to me as a child.

Camp Quest

This is great !
Wish they had one of these in Ireland. I would love to send my little brother to it.

Yeah, and it looks great.

Apparently, every year, they challenge the kids to attempt to disprove the existance of a supposed inadudible, invisible, intangible unicorn to exercise their critical thinking skills. I believe it starts for kids at age 8 and above. Probably because that's about the age when kids begin to recognize the absurdity of Santa and other myths, but rarely is the process that allows them to recognize such a ridiculous claim sharpened or clarified (logic). I think its wonderful.
Quote:Camp Quest envisions a world in which children grow up exploring, thinking for themselves, connecting with their communities, and acting to make the most of life for themselves and others.

Oh, dear. The power structure will shit its pants.

The religitards and their republibertarianeo-conazi allies will declare this bunch to be a terrorist threat!
I have heard of these types of places, they will have your kids sitting about meditating in the lotus position, getting in touch with their inner selfs. How does someone teach atheism without explaining theism first ? this is a guise, what they really teach is the occult otherwise known as "New Age" and the last time this was preached at schools was in Nazi Germany. go figar
Yeah....far better to have them learning how to kill for fucking jesus, huh?

(May 13, 2013 at 12:43 pm)goodnews Wrote: I have heard of these types of places, they will have your kids sitting about meditating in the lotus position, getting in touch with their inner selfs. How does someone teach atheism without explaining theism first ? this is a guise, what they really teach is the occult otherwise known as "New Age" and the last time this was preached at schools was in Nazi Germany. go figar

You're thinking of Unitarianism.
(May 13, 2013 at 12:43 pm)goodnews Wrote: I have heard of these types of places, they will have your kids sitting about meditating in the lotus position, getting in touch with their inner selfs. How does someone teach atheism without explaining theism first ? this is a guise, what they really teach is the occult otherwise known as "New Age" and the last time this was preached at schools was in Nazi Germany. go figar

Wow...I guess this would be the expected response from a certain frame of thought. One doesn't "teach atheism". The kids don't even need to bother with the word as it is simply the lack of belief. If they are taught critical thinking at a young age, the idea of "theism" will just be viewed as it rightly should be-A distraction from ratinoal thought. Don't confuse Atheists with some retro-hippie...far from it. Sitting around meditating and getting in touch with "inner-selves" it not a practice you'll find ANY atheist involved in.

It's just summer-camp for kids...with a focus on critical thinking instead of a focus on accepting imposed dribble of the religious sort that is common to "church camps".
Who's critical thinking ? Preaching is preaching, a system of belief is a religion, all religions are corrupt, this must be an American thing ? leave the kids be , let them grow up and decide for themselfs, End of.
(May 13, 2013 at 12:15 pm)Texas Sailor Wrote: Apparently, every year, they challenge the kids to attempt to disprove the existance of a supposed inadudible, invisible, intangible unicorn to exercise their critical thinking skills. I believe it starts for kids at age 8 and above. Probably because that's about the age when kids begin to recognize the absurdity of Santa and other myths, but rarely is the process that allows them to recognize such a ridiculous claim sharpened or clarified (logic). I think its wonderful.

It sounds like you doubt the Unicorn!

STONE THE UNBELIEVER!

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could this exciting 2019 comedy show about God, concern artificial intelligence? blue grey brain 8 1260 February 22, 2019 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Rahn127
Wink Human Intelligence is an Illusion The__Chameleon 58 9127 December 19, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  I finally did it! godlessheatheness 36 7224 April 24, 2017 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  I finally watched contact on Netflix..... maestroanth 3 1021 February 2, 2017 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  correlation between intelligence and atheism Sappho 22 4014 December 10, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Vincent
  Deepak Chopra Questions Richard Dawkins Intelligence Salacious B. Crumb 26 5613 June 7, 2015 at 4:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Dawkins' Necker Cube, Physical Determinism, Cosmic Design, and Human Intelligence Mudhammam 0 1671 August 28, 2014 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Pleasure is far superior to mere intelligence Mozart Link 15 2960 August 1, 2014 at 3:39 am
Last Post: Violet
  Is there a correlation between atheism and intelligence? Dystopia 40 6361 July 4, 2014 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Atheism is "finally dying out" taylor93112 26 7997 April 15, 2013 at 7:22 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome