Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG
OMG
Why in most unpleasant and most pleasant situations people say omg? Even if they don't believe in God.
RE: OMG
A lot of people, generally 'young folk', say "oh my days" in a sort of ghetto talk (despite many of them coming from middle class backgrounds and going to a good school) instead of OMG here in England (inner city areas more so I've noticed).

but saying 'oh my god' has generally just become a colloquialism due to its use for several decades (if not longer). I don't think the concept of a 'god' has any real meaning in its use.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Re: RE: OMG
Because it's a common phrase? It's certainly more polite than saying "Fuck!" I also say bless you when people sneeze because it's polite, not because I think I'm actually blessing them. I also call today "Thursday" despite not believing in Thor.

People who believe in gods are the ones who shouldn't be saying "Oh my god!" because it's blasphemy.

(May 16, 2013 at 6:01 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: A lot of people, generally 'young folk', say "oh my days" in a sort of ghetto talk (despite many of them coming from middle class backgrounds and going to a good school) instead of OMG here in England (inner city areas more so I've noticed).
Ha! I don't think I've heard "Oh my days!" since I was at school! :D

I had a manager who used to say "Oh ny life!"
(May 16, 2013 at 5:51 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Why in most unpleasant and most pleasant situations people say omg?

Because YOLO.
I used to say Gordon Bennett, even though I don't know who he is, maybe I should google it if I can be bothered.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

It all started with the tv show "Friends". They were saying 'oh my god' all the time. Then kids started saying it. Then it was shorted for texting. Now they just say OMG. Soon it will join the ranks of "groovy" and "far out". The sooner the better.
Not being a native english speaker, I never use OMG! Tongue
Eat your hearts out!!
(May 16, 2013 at 11:02 am)ChadWooters Wrote: It all started with the tv show "Friends". They were saying 'oh my god' all the time. Then kids started saying it. Then it was shorted for texting. Now they just say OMG. Soon it will join the ranks of "groovy" and "far out". The sooner the better.

I say "groovy" all the time, man! I only occasionally say "far out". Cheech and Chong have been a bad influence on me.
Cunt
I've managed to stop doing it by substituting OMFSM. This also makes a point.
Only sheep need a shepherd.
(May 16, 2013 at 5:51 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Why in most unpleasant and most pleasant situations people say omg? Even if they don't believe in God.

Because Holy Fucking Shitballs is considered impolite in many places?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OMG it's World Peace Day Ahriman 64 3254 September 23, 2023 at 6:08 am
Last Post: no one
  Omg, Avicii died *Deidre* 18 1297 April 21, 2018 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  OMG, I keep getting mistaken for a woman. Brian37 20 5261 January 5, 2018 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Brian37
  OMG! Ubuntu Linux Christian Edition. LOL Phish 7 5411 September 10, 2012 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  OMG! The moon is an elaborate hoax! leo-rcc 3 1994 February 2, 2009 at 11:36 am
Last Post: Eilonnwy