Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show of hands...
Show of hands...
I've felt marginalized for being atheist.

Anyone else in my boat?
RE: Show of hands...

Nope.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Not really. I'm a minority of a minority of a minority, but was fortunate enough to be born in a country where religious freedom is actualized quite well. Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

[Image: MLyB1tL.png]

Now, now, class, show your hands. Don't think you're hiding.
Nope.
If I am I don't notice it.

Sometimes society is so over rated that one really shouldn't bother with it.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Yyyup.
The only blatant marginalization of Atheists that exists in the UK is the determination from the religious folks and the right wing not to have an Atheist prime minister (probably similar to the US presidency).

It would veeery awkward for an Atheist prime minister to sing our national anthem LOL

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the Queen!

O lord God arise,
Scatter our enemies,
And make them fall!
Confound their knavish tricks,
Confuse their politics,
On you our hopes we fix,
God save the Queen!

Not in this land alone,
But be God's mercies known,
From shore to shore!
Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world ov'er

From every latent foe,
From the assasins blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!

Thy choicest gifts in store,
On her be pleased to pour,
Long may she reign!
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause,
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the Queen!

I have. I had a hard time getting a job, because of my professed atheism (I live in a small community where everyone knows everybody else). Gotten death-threats because of it alongside the usual "you're gonna burn in Hell" and whatnot bullshit.

Luckily, we have freedom of religion here (wouldn't have it if it wasn't for Denmark, I'm sure), so government and public institutions cannot just trump through whatever religious shit (read: Christian special treatment) they want.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
Not really. I live in a country (UK / England and Wales) where a large number of people are atheists. If the current trend continues religions like Methodism will be all but gone within the next 20 years.

Short of atheism, apathy to religion accounts for the vast majority of people in England and Wales, so more often than not people you meet are atheists, especially younger generations (Cohort Effect).

Most fundamentalists here tend to be Catholic, a crazy minority religion/cult or Islamic.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could this exciting 2019 comedy show about God, concern artificial intelligence? blue grey brain 8 1299 February 22, 2019 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  The Atheist Experience talk show by Matt Dillahunty and others Alexmahone 12 2692 December 6, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  The Atheists of Today Show announcement ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 17 4057 November 17, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE
  Girls! Show your contempt for religion -Have butt sex! Puddleglum 147 53912 September 15, 2012 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Puddleglum
  The Magic Sandwich Show, April 15 Cyberman 14 5336 April 15, 2012 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  The Atheist Experience TV Show Cosmic Ape 31 19819 February 21, 2012 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: Cyberman