Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Folks Just Can't Believe
Some Folks Just Can't Believe
No doubt you’ve seen the “Jesus Isn’t Coming!” sign. Maybe you were shocked to find out that atheists really do exist after all. Perhaps you were tempted to quote them Psalm 14, “A fool says in his heart there is no god.” You might have been further dismayed to discover that they were unimpressed with biblical authority. Some explanation is in order.
We are often told we have a free choice to either believe or disbelieve. But, is it true that we always have a choice in the matter? Can we force ourselves to believe things which reason finds absurd?
Many intellectuals would argue it is not within their power to force upon themselves, blind-faith acceptance of ideas their reasoning is telling them is just plain nonsense. No matter how hard they try, doubt cannot be vanquished.
Today, few could believe an erupting volcano is the venting wrath of an angry god. No matter how many self-proclaimed “champions of truth” insisted it was so. Reason informs us we’d be foolish to cast aside scientific knowledge in favor of superstition. Certainly, children could be brainwashed from birth to believe in the angry mountain god. As adults, it might be impossible to convince them otherwise. But if instead of receiving an adolescent brainwashing, they were educated to the scientific understanding of erupting volcanoes, they could never cast aside sound knowledge to “believe in” the angry mountain god explanation.
Many self-proclaimed “champions of truth” tell us we must believe numerous religious absurdities without question or scrutiny. Claiming to speak for unseen supernatural agents, they demand we discard reason, submit to blind-faith or else agree with them that we deserve eternal torture and suffering. Try as we might to believe them, we cannot. They then argue it is wise to “play it safe” by capitulating to their extortions. Intimidations seldom vanquish reason.
Would you jump out of an airplane without a parachute just because some self-proclaimed champion of truth insisted faith in a safe landing would guarantee one? Wouldn’t reason prevent you from believing or jumping? And if threatened with a beating for your disbelief, could threats vanquish your doubts?
Insisting you have a choice to believe, suppose the champions of truth throw you out of the airplane. Do you think your imminent death could help you vanquish your doubt before reaching the ground? Would you agree with the shaman’s claim that “your death was deserved retribution for choosing not to believe?”
Is doubt really our free choice? Do we deserve punishment if our educated mind fails to believe absurdities? Have you ever made a conscious choice to believe an absurdity?
But wait! Aren’t we told that we are fools not to believe what the bible says? But if your educated mind rejects blind-faith acceptance of even a single biblical assertion, are you not also guilty of using reason to sort the plausible from the absurd?
How many biblical assertions can you choose to believe without being skeptical? To see if you are a skeptic, place a checkmark beside each assertion you cannot believe.
o Snakes could once talk to people. Genesis 3:1-5
o People once lived to be 900 years old. Genesis 5
o Noah gathered two male and female, of every specie, from all over the earth (across oceans), to a central location to board the Ark and when the flood receded a year later, they somehow got back home. Genesis 6:19, 9:19
o Millions of animals lived for a year on a 450 ft. boat without ever being re-supplied with food or fresh water. Genesis 6:21
o Rainbows are supernatural phenomena. Genesis 9:13-16
o The Tower of Babel explains the diversity of language. Genesis 11
o Witches really do exist and must be hunted down and killed. Exodus 22;18
o It’s possible for a man to live three days and nights in the belly of a fish. Jonah 1:15-17
o A wooden staff can be transformed into a living serpent. Exodus 7:10
o A river of water can be transformed into a river of blood on command. Exodus 7:19-21
o The Red Sea can be parted in the middle, on command, to expose dry land sandwiched between two walls of water. Exodus 14:21
o It’s okay to punish children for the iniquity of their ancestors. Exodus 34:7
o The outcome of war is determined by supernatural forces. Deuteronomy 7
o It‘s OK to kill missionaries of another religion. Deuteronomy 13:6-9
o One can live without oxygen and survive the heat in a fiery furnace. Daniel 3:19-25
o If a bride’s virginity can’t be proven, she must be killed. Deuteronomy 22:13-21
o The sun rotates around the earth and has even stopped for a full day without catastrophic consequences. Joshua 10:12-13
o Angry gods can be appeased with blood sacrifices and burnt offerings. Exodus 29, Numbers 29
o It’s okay to kill your rebellious children. Deuteronomy 21:18-21
o A virgin woman got impregnated by supernatural means. Matthew 1:18
o A missing child can be found by following a star. Matthew 2:9
o It’s a bad idea to save for the future. Matthew 6:19
o Five loaves of bread and two fish can feed 5,000 people. Luke 9:16-17
o People of faith can walk on water. Matthew 14:25-31
o Folks who work on the seventh day (Saturday) are to be killed. Exodus 31:15, Numbers 15:32-36
o People of faith can perform any impossible feat simply by believing and commanding it to happen. Matthew 17:20, Matthew 21:22
o Water can be turned into wine on command. John 2:6-9
o Self-castration is a wise move. Matthew 19:12
o Demon possession explains mental illness. Luke 4:41
o Disbelievers, blasphemers, and non-Christians must be killed. Luke 19:27, Exodus 22:20, Leviticus 24:16, Mark 16:16
o A person of unshakable faith can levitate a mountain. Mark 11:23
o Believers in Jesus can drink poison and remain unharmed. Mark 16:18
o If you’re dead several days, you can be brought back to life. John 11:1-44
o Adulterers and homosexuals appropriately must be killed. Leviticus 20:10-13,
o By “believing,” believers can perform the same miracles attributed to Jesus. John 14:12-14
o Preachers can preach in foreign languages they never learned. Acts 2:3-8
o The Bible is infallible and inerrant.
o The universe and earth are less than 10,000 years old, created with the appearance of age.
o Science is wrong about the expanding universe and biological evolution.
o All gods are false except the one your parents worship.
o Those who refuse to question biblical assertions are wiser (less gullible) than the skeptics who question.
RE: Some Folks Just Can't Believe
Arrrgghh! My eyes are bleeding!

Cut the post up into paragraphs. Wall o' text sucks
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
I agree with Dotard. While the content is nice, it's not easy to read stuff on the internet as is and without space breaks it's even harder.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I gave up reading half way x.x
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
Quote:People of faith can walk on water. Matthew 14:25-31

If only we could get all of them to try it at once.
Quote:Aren’t we told that we are fools not to believe what the bible says?

I can imagine all those people in the 2 planes that crashed into the twin towers on 9/11 praying their hearts out for god to save them and bring them home safe to their families, and their families also praying for their safe return.

God has some serious explaining to do.
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
Secularone just loves the sound of his own voice. He doesn't care if anyone's listening. He's a street preacher.
(September 13, 2009 at 4:34 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Secularone just loves the sound of his own voice. He doesn't care if anyone's listening. He's a street preacher.

Secularone is a street preacher. And a damn good one at that. And if any of you sophist clowns every decide to engage him in a honest conversation you might learn something.
But Secularone NEVER WILL!!!
(September 13, 2009 at 10:59 am)fr0d0 Wrote: But Secularone NEVER WILL!!!

I'm still trying to find one Christian on this forum who can post an intelligent argument. So, far the best arguments I've seen are those of Arcanus. They are not intelligent, but they demonstrate that the person behind them is very much so and highly skilled in debate. Despite the fact that they may be loaded with sophistry and apologetics, at least he's actually offering an interesting exchange. And he's so well acquainted with the apologetics and so skilled at sophistry most of the atheists on this forum don't stand a chance debating him. I can see that much already. He's very clever and he's done his homework. He'll be a tough nut to crack. It would be arrogant and stupid of me to think that he's easy pickin's. He and I both know that there is an apologetic answer and a multitude of sophist tricks suited to meet the needs of any and every challenge.
At the moment, he's occupied with Saerules, so I just have to wait. I'm hoping Saerules will expose him and his unscrupulous sophistry. That's her only chance. We'll see. In the meantime, I'm studying him. And if he's as smart as I think he is, he's studying me as well. He's been put on notice that I'm just as familiar with apologetics and sophistry as he is. It will be interesting to see what tactics he uses against me, if the conversation ever happens. If he uses your tactics, it never will.

As for you fr0d0, I have yet to observed a single good argument from you with anyone, sophist or otherwise. So trying to have a an intelligent conversation with you at this point is simply a no go. You seem to be clueless when it comes to Christian apologetics so you do not employ much of that. Your tactic is to be as illusive, vague, general, non committal as you can. And if someone corners you, you simply dismiss them.

It is quite possible that you may be correct in saying that I never will have an honest conversation with anyone on this forum. But if correct, it will not be for my lack of honesty.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11136 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3737 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  I Can Just Hear All Churches Shitting Bricks On This One Minimalist 40 7215 December 7, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7890 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7812 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  How do religious folks reconcile violent concepts in "peaceful" Abrahamic religions? AceBoogie 57 10863 April 28, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  what do you folks think about this religion? tigerlove 18 1860 December 8, 2016 at 7:02 am
Last Post: chimp3
Question Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”. theBorg 49 8502 August 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Can I be sued for saving someone's life? Yes I can Dystopia 25 5278 July 14, 2015 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  You've just got to believe one more... ReptilianPeon 9 3634 June 30, 2015 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon