Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
unreported personal experiences of sexism/sexual harassment?
unreported personal experiences of sexism/sexual harassment?
Inspired by this website where women report every minor instance of "sexism": http://www.everydaysexism.com/

Is there any instance of sexism or sexual harassment (or what you perceived to be sexual harassment) that you faced but you DIDN'T report?

I'll start; while I was training as a London 2012 Olympics volunteer last year, part of the training was to jog back and forth from our position and learn how react to an angry spectator etc. This session was conducted by a woman which I had no problems with, but every time the girls did a good job, she pushed them in the back as a sign of encouragement sort of thing. But when it was my turn, she didn't push me in the back, she pushed my bum! I'm pretty sure she had a good feel lol In fact, one of the lads shouted out "sexual harassment", and she looked pretty angry and told them to be quiet. Now, I wasn't prepared to make a big deal out of it for many reasons, but what would happen if a male teacher pushed a girl by the arse? Thinking She definitely did cop a feel and I think she knew that, that's why she didn't as much as look at me afterwards. ROFLOL

Apparently, this is "sexism" (from the website): "Held the door open for a man while walking into the library. He thanked me and told me that I'd make someone a good wife someday". Really? That is sexism?
RE: unreported personal experiences of sexism/sexual harassment?
Well, I have a tendency to get involved with male-dominated activities like playing video games and fighting Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, so I've experienced a lot of sexism. Nothing that I couldn't handle. Just tired cliches like "Go make me a sammich, woman!" And then my Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu coach did hit on me a few times when he was fighting with his wife. Even if I weren't gay, I wouldn't want to be in the middle of that. Plus I was 16 when he met me, and he was 38. It was weird.
Having attended an all-boys school when I was young, the sexism amongst the male teachers and obviously most of the students was truly vile and shocking now that I look back on it. The fact that I used to participate in such stuff makes me cringe now, but it was all pretty much out in the open, the teachers sometimes even encouraged it.
(May 28, 2013 at 5:54 pm)ideologue08 Wrote: Having attended an all-boys school when I was young, the sexism amongst the male teachers and obviously most of the students was truly vile and shocking now that I look back on it. The fact that I used to participate in such stuff makes me cringe now, but it was all pretty much out in the open, the teachers sometimes even encouraged it.

You didn't happen to go to school in a muslim country, did you? Maybe one that treats women like property?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
(May 28, 2013 at 5:56 pm)Baalzebutt Wrote: You didn't happen to go to school in a muslim country, did you? Maybe one that treats women like property?
Actually the Muslim schools I visited treated women better than the British public school I went to here in the UK.

(May 28, 2013 at 5:49 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: And then my Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu coach did hit on me a few times when he was fighting with his wife. Even if I weren't gay, I wouldn't want to be in the middle of that. Plus I was 16 when he met me, and he was 38.
That's definitely sexual harassment, that is no way a coach should conduct himself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvNZt1T5rAQ
That's an enlightening video. Have you ever been sexually harassed though cato123, or are you part of the lucky few?
Yeah, few times. We had a Health teacher in Middle School who ended up in jail because of touching little girls. He touched me once, but I never reported it. He got his anyway. Also, there was a cook at my first job who ended up on probation because he kept touching chicks at work. He tried to touch me, but by that time I had a little self-defense training and he ended up with an elbow to the eye. I didn't report that one either, but he also got what was coming to him.
(May 28, 2013 at 7:04 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: He tried to touch me, but by that time I had a little self-defense training and he ended up with an elbow to the eye. I didn't report that one either, but he also got what was coming to him.
LOL nice one
Since you mentioned sexism / sexual harassment towards men (which I think is a bigger problem than most people realise), I thought I'd post this:

http://www.avoiceformen.com/activism/about/

Not all the facts on that page are entirely accurate; some have reasonable explanations; others have questionable sources, but a lot of them are verifiable.

Oh, and before someone mentions it, no, I'm not a misogynist. I'm well aware that sexism affects women a hell of a lot too, perhaps more so. My point is, why concentrate on one sex when the problem spans both.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual desire seems to be a curse for men Macoleco 121 7439 January 24, 2023 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1795 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Would you get rid of your sexual desire if you could? Macoleco 78 12175 October 16, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Question about Near Death Experiences Mirek-Polska 36 5445 February 11, 2017 at 10:55 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Atheists, I want to know your explanation for these Out of body experiences? arda101 39 5924 January 29, 2017 at 2:57 am
Last Post: Magilla
  Is personal identity really just mind? Pizza 47 6711 February 14, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  How is a personal god different from an anthropomorphic god? Pizza 36 5978 January 1, 2016 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Pizza
  Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?” XK9_Knight 99 19523 September 8, 2014 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  In Praise of Personal Attacks Koolay 9 2652 July 1, 2013 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  [split] Do you think "necrophilia" can be considered a legit sexual orientation? Love 7 3757 May 4, 2013 at 5:22 am
Last Post: Violet