Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Islam: The State
Islam: The State
Just read a Wash. Post article (I'm on my phone, otherwise I'd link it) about Nigerian militant Islamists who are trying to overthrow the government and institute Shariah (sp?) Law.

It's occurs to me that aside from Al-queda and their ilk, we should be very worried about the implications of entire nations becoming conservative Islamic states. We have managed to maintain peace with many Islamic countries (Jordan and the U.A.E. are good examples), but these are wealthy countries with a lot to lose from a conflict with the western world. What will become of impoverished areas of north Africa if they are radicalized?

I'm not saying we should intervene like we did in Iraq, that was a disaster, but what would you propose if you were a U.N. advisor? Sit by and do nothing? Offer support to the existing government?
Thinking
RE: Islam: The State
Conflict between muslim Africa and "Christian" Africa has been going on for centuries accross the entire region called the sahel.

We are just not aware about it because the media doesnt report on it, and we dont learn much about African history.

Did you know that in medieval Africa, Etheopia was a gigantic christian empire which at one point even attempted to conquer the arab peninsual and claim mecca for christians?
Wow, no I didn't. It is a shame that I don't know more about African history...my knowledge is pretty limited to Egypt and Alexandria, with a smattering of European pioneer history.

It is of concern to me that this kind of conflict still exists when the technology to destroy the planet is available. How long before Iran's nuclear program is gone and we're hearing about the Nigerian program?
Thinking
well. South Africa was the first and only african nation to ver develope a nuclear arsenal (during appartheit)
But it was also the first ever nation to completly destroy it`s nuclear arsenal (after apartheit)

It is wrong to see Africa in such black and white terms.
Nigeria has a north south devide, the mayority of the population is christian and lives in the south, the rest muslim and lives in the north - the goverment is christian and amongst the corruptest in the world. Farmers accross the land have been driven of their land for oil companies. Islamism simply krept into this situation to profit from the dispair. But an islamic state is unlikely, especialy with the majority of the population being christian.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3156 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  Has Mark Samsel Done A Good Job As A Kansas State Representative? BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1109 May 3, 2021 at 10:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Separation of Science and State John 6IX Breezy 233 10508 November 19, 2020 at 7:44 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why is Vatican a state? Fake Messiah 13 1303 November 11, 2020 at 9:07 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Satan and Flying Spaghetti Monster Unite for Church-State Separation AFTT47 2 676 September 23, 2019 at 8:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The communist state of Kerela, India Duty 5 857 December 22, 2018 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  State level elections in BAvaria yield ground breaking results Deesse23 0 254 October 15, 2018 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  So Apparently We Have An AG Who Doesn't Think Hawaii Is A State. Minimalist 39 8101 October 1, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Tillerson Out as Secretary of State Crossless2.0 12 1475 March 17, 2018 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Opinions On Secretary of State Tillerson AFTT47 16 2550 December 17, 2017 at 10:34 am
Last Post: vorlon13