Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music Recommendations
Music Recommendations
I've been feeling a bit dry when it comes to new music. I don't listen to the radio, so what I listen to comes from recommendations or stumbling upon something I like. I was wondering if you guys had anything good to recommend.

I like almost any kind of music except rap, or rather anything on the radio that is popular and thoughtless, meaning it's just about generating a pop icon rather than excellent music. I guess my favorite type of music is rock and techno. To give you an idea of what I like, I'll list the bands/artists where I have the biggest album collections:

Blue October
Cobra Starship
David Bowie
Ellegarden
Flogging Molly
Garbage
Groove Coverage
High and Mighty Color
Hooverphonic
The Killers
Korn
Lords of Acid
Marilyn Manson
No Doubt
Nobuo Uematsu
Orange Range
Pink Floyd
The Prodigy
Switchblade Symphony
VNV Nation
Within Temptation

That's only a small sample of my tastes, but maybe it will help you give an idea of what to recommend.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Music Recommendations
If you enjoy Within Temptation, I definitely recommend Nightwish!

I'll go check out my library and list somemore recommendations soon! Smile
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
I listened to some samples on iTunes of Nightwish, I like it. What album would you recommend I purchase?

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
It's quite a hard decision to make that one. Haha..I enjoy almost all their songs from the various albums they have. I am really glad you like what you've heard so far! Big Grin

The current singer of Nightwish is actually a replacement. Her vocals are more pop-ish. The original singer of Nightwish (Tarja) has a more operatic vocal.

Therefore:

If you prefer the new Nightwish stuff, I'd recommend their latest "Dark Passion Play". My favourite track from them is "Amaranth". Very awesome song!

If you prefer the more operatic/metal style then I'd recommend "Century Child" and "Wishmaster".

I hope this helps!
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
Hmm...I kind of like both, their unique in their own way. I guess I'll start with the new and work my way backwards. I can't afford to buy all 3.

That sounds good Smile When you get "Dark Passion Play", first song you gotta hear is "Amaranth"! My favourite!
I already listened to it. Adrian helped set me up with a spotify account so I can listen to stuff for free. Listening to some of the Nightwish music now to make sure I want it.

I definitely like Amaranth, the style reminds me of Within Temptation. Good stuff. Big Grin

Big Grin So glad you enjoy it too! ^5!
Judging from your list, I'm sure you're already into these groups, but just in case:

Nine Inch Nails
A Perfect Circle
Tool
Opeth (Damnation in particular)

and a few favourites of mine that I think everyone might like:

TV On The Radio
Thom Yorke
Dirty Three
- Meatball
My two favourite bands at the moment Are Orbital and Muse. I like Orbital the most by light years though, but Muse is my favourite rock by far.

Electronica/Techno/IDM, etc: Orbital.

Rock: Muse.

I would have a lot more suggestions, but my tastes have narrowed a lot lately, so I'm having trouble thinking of other stuff that I could suggest.

Perhaps you could also give the band Royksopp a try for Electronica/techno, their latest album was more poppy (ish) though.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What kind of music? MR. Macabre 666 62 3241 October 30, 2023 at 3:21 am
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  Boru’s Insanely, Absurdly Easy Music Quiz BrianSoddingBoru4 10 569 November 7, 2020 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Podcast recommendations please... arewethereyet 1 203 September 1, 2020 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Why I Hate Music Critics BrianSoddingBoru4 2 712 January 19, 2020 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: no one
  Christmas Music!! BrianSoddingBoru4 29 2471 December 22, 2019 at 9:06 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Music Hey guys what type of music do you like? I believe in Harry Potter 35 3116 November 16, 2019 at 3:05 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Days of the Week Music Thread brewer 7 1130 May 29, 2016 at 12:14 am
Last Post: c172
  Television Series Recommendations athrock 16 1909 November 29, 2015 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: pgrimes15
  Music Thread ErGingerbreadMandude 13 2114 August 28, 2015 at 6:42 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Best Music Videos Roxy904 23 2746 January 31, 2015 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: c172