Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Atheist on the Black Church vs Gay Rights
Atheist on the Black Church vs Gay Rights
Atheist on the Black Church vs. Gay Rights
The black church in the United States is a large political bloc in this country. Around 90% of the African Americans identify with believing in some sort of higher power. And it's been a growing debate amongst Black churches whether or not they should accept gay marriage as a civil right. Now this video is for the black church leaders who are against it. To be hypocritical and demand civil rights during the 60's while today use the same holy book to oppress others is shocking. Yes the bible is against homosexuality. For instance the verse 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. (Leviticus 18:22 KJV). But the bible also said that slavery is acceptable such as this verse "However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way" (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT). As well as its acceptable to beat slaves "When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property" (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB). So when the black church leaders want to use the bible and hold it in high regard and oppress others then they should also come out in favor of slavery since its ok to do that as well in the Bible. And to get upset of gay rights leaders who use the civil rights movement as guidance for their movement towards equality is unbelievable. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. used the teachings of Mahatma Gandhi as an inspiration and guidance for the civil rights movement of the 1960's. Also the gay rights movement can also be looked with the Interracial Relationships movement as well and the pinnacle and success of the movement with the supreme court passing of Loving vs. Virginia 1967 which made Interracial marriage legal in every state. I'm for Gay marriage cause I know it's the right thing to do and it's immoral to take away other peoples civil rights just because you personally don't adhere to it.

<SNIP>
RE: Atheist on the Black Church vs Gay Rights
[Image: 7435822420_976f28bdf3_z.jpg]
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 8, 2013 at 11:19 am)Cholley71 Wrote: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. used the teachings of Mahatma Gandhi as an inspiration and guidance for the civil rights movement of the 1960's.

Irony alert! Who helped influence MLK to follow Gandhi's vision for non-violent political resistance??
Bayard Rustin... A black, gay, Quaker.
lol Irony.

Do you know why Gandhi started to be involved in the Indian movement for independence?

Because as an attorny in colonial South Africa he was treated under the appartheit laws as a black african.
And Ghandi saw black people as infirior towards Indians.
Ghandi was a racist. And even today racism is widespread in Indian society in which dark skin is considered to be a sign of poverty and infiriority.
Skin bleaching cosmetics are amongst the most sold cosmetic products in India.

Anyway, it doesnt matter from which minority or ethnic group you are from. Undermining ones rights on the basis of religious texts is in violation of a constitution which seperates religion and state.
To reject gay marriage on the basis of religion is anyone's right. I don't see the hypocrisy, it's their interpretation of the Bible and they have a right to that opinion.
(June 8, 2013 at 11:49 am)ideologue08 Wrote: To reject gay marriage on the basis of religion is anyone's right. I don't see the hypocrisy, it's their interpretation of the Bible and they have a right to that opinion.

It is not their right to inforce their views based on religious text on others by converting their religious text into legal text.

That is just plain biggotry.

Also, it is my right to point out the hypocracy of a movement which calls for the infringement of someones legal rights on the basis of a legal text, when the basis of dicrimination of the group the movement supposedly represents, also use to be religious text.
(June 8, 2013 at 11:52 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: It is not their right to inforce their views based on religious text on others by converting their religious text into legal text.
That is just plain biggotry.
They have every right to their opinion, what's bigotry is your attempt to enforce your view on them. It's interesting that you can point out other people's bigotry when it's coming from your ignorant self.
As far as I'm concerned, they can reject gay marriage to the extent that churches who so wish, don't have to perform gay marriages. Perhaps this is unpalatable, but it's their freedom of religion. But gay marriage shouldn't be illegal because someone's holy book says so. Ultimately, marriage is a civil, legal contract, not a religious one. Plus, it'll be fun to watch churches tear themselves apart when their gay members want to be married in their faith, and their church won't let them. Which is already happening with certain denominations.
(June 8, 2013 at 11:58 am)ideologue08 Wrote: They have every right to their opinion.

Having a right to an opinion is one thing. After all, I have the right to my opinion that you are an absolutely ignorant human being.

To use an opinion, however, to take away someone's basic rights on the grounds of religion is unconstitutional.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 8, 2013 at 12:02 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: Having a right to an opinion is one thing. After all, I have the right to my opinion that you are an absolutely ignorant human being.

To use an opinion, however, to take away someone's basic rights on the grounds of religion is unconstitutional.
Exactly, they have every right to their opinion. It's funny you called me ignorant after agreeing with me on that, perhaps the useless idiot yes man here is you?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] The black man as a slave to the white man's god Foxaèr 51 2956 August 5, 2020 at 9:09 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Black and white religions Roksie 21 3132 February 12, 2017 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Christians think they have special rights GoHalos1993 10 2925 October 29, 2015 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49296 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Believers got us dead to rights, give up. Brian37 22 6108 September 19, 2014 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Same-sex marriage is stealing rights from God Foxaèr 52 13545 July 27, 2014 at 8:33 am
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Abortion and Women's Rights Tea Earl Grey Hot 248 58009 June 10, 2014 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: John V
  Atheist parenting advice - Church run preschool? EvolvedKnight 13 2700 March 13, 2014 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Black Hole Properties mentioned in the Quran majmal 26 5723 December 12, 2013 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Ksa
  Women's Rights and Religion Bipolar Bob 50 11153 November 27, 2013 at 9:13 am
Last Post: Brian37