Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The rise of atheism in America
The rise of atheism in America
http://theweek.com/article/index/226625/...in-america
[Image: oie_24131128_CIMC84_Qv.jpg]
Sometimes I Pretend To Be Normal,But It Gets Boring. So I go Back to Being Me.
RE: The rise of atheism in America
Quote: the religious Right's politicization of faith in the 1990s turned younger, socially liberal Christians away from churches, even as conservatives became more zealous. The dropouts were turned off by churches' Old Testament condemnation of homosexuals, premarital sex, contraception, and abortion. The Catholic Church's sex scandals also prompted millions to equate religion with moralistic hypocrisy. "While the Republican base has become ever more committed to mixing religion and politics," Putnam and Campbell write, "the rest of the country has been moving in the opposite direction." As society becomes more secular, researchers say, doubters are more confident about identifying themselves as nonbelievers. "The collapse of institutional religion in the first 10 years of this century [has] freed so many people to say they don't really care," said author Diana Butler Bass.

[Image: applause.gif]
I think that's still happening today, at least with the Republican Party. The country is moving more moderate or toward the center, and yet in 2012 look at the far-right clowns like Bachmann and Santorum they had trying to get their party's nomination.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(June 11, 2013 at 11:13 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: the religious Right's politicization of faith in the 1990s turned younger, socially liberal Christians away from churches, even as conservatives became more zealous. The dropouts were turned off by churches' Old Testament condemnation of homosexuals, premarital sex, contraception, and abortion. The Catholic Church's sex scandals also prompted millions to equate religion with moralistic hypocrisy. "While the Republican base has become ever more committed to mixing religion and politics," Putnam and Campbell write, "the rest of the country has been moving in the opposite direction." As society becomes more secular, researchers say, doubters are more confident about identifying themselves as nonbelievers. "The collapse of institutional religion in the first 10 years of this century [has] freed so many people to say they don't really care," said author Diana Butler Bass.

[Image: applause.gif]

I keep telling my brother he needs to get his boss down here and do something.....part a sea or something....kick start it up again
[Image: tumblr_mliut3rXE01soz1kco1_500.jpg]

The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so.
-- Mark Twain

...and don't think it will be any different next time.

[Image: 320991_597535953606815_410214805_n.png]
Um... how stupid do you have to be to get a malpractice suit as an eye doctor? I mean, it's not hard to say, "Number 1 or number 2... number 1 or number 2.... number 3 or number 4... 3, or 4..." Even if you totally screw up someone's glasses prescription, you can just redo it.

I'm not saying that ophthalmologists have easy jobs, but an eye doctor visit isn't invasive like surgery. You'd have to prescribe the wrong eye drops or something to get sued. It's not like you'd amputate the wrong limb or remove the wrong organ, or do something totally stupid like the three stooges eye poke.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(June 11, 2013 at 12:55 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Um... how stupid do you have to be to get a malpractice suit as an eye doctor? I mean, it's not hard to say, "Number 1 or number 2... number 1 or number 2.... number 3 or number 4... 3, or 4..." Even if you totally screw up someone's glasses prescription, you can just redo it.

I'm not saying that ophthalmologists have easy jobs, but an eye doctor visit isn't invasive like surgery. You'd have to prescribe the wrong eye drops or something to get sued. It's not like you'd amputate the wrong limb or remove the wrong organ, or do something totally stupid like the three stooges eye poke.

You are thinking of an optician, ophthalmologists do operate on eyes.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 11, 2013 at 12:55 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Um... how stupid do you have to be to get a malpractice suit as an eye doctor? I mean, it's not hard to say, "Number 1 or number 2... number 1 or number 2.... number 3 or number 4... 3, or 4..." Even if you totally screw up someone's glasses prescription, you can just redo it.

Maybe it was the eye chart he used?

[Image: RandPaulSpeech-eyechart.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An interesting read concerning atheism in america. brewer 11 665 January 3, 2022 at 12:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Rise of the Rodents onlinebiker 30 2523 August 2, 2021 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Andrew Zimmern, "What's Eating America".. Brian37 36 3646 February 17, 2020 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Coming to America Cyberman 49 4099 January 13, 2018 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Things You Don't Like About Other Countries ( America Gets Immunity) Amarok 61 9078 April 11, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is America the greatest country Kingpin 267 39553 December 14, 2015 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Today I visited the largest ______ in North America... Mudhammam 11 2490 September 27, 2015 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  AmAm (Amazing America) rado84 6 1653 July 14, 2015 at 9:43 am
Last Post: rado84
  Anti-intellectualism Is Killing America Pyrrho 30 4659 June 28, 2015 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Most Beautiful Places in America CapnAwesome 3 1230 July 4, 2014 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus