Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Theism & Immaterial Minds
On Theism & Immaterial Minds
For the purposes of this thread, I will assume materialism about the self to be false and substance dualism to be true. This means that I will be speaking of the mind as an immaterial thing that is intimately related to what we call our physical bodies. Under this view, I'll now move on to some things that we can conclude immediately by virtue of accepting the notion of an immaterial mind.

Animals have immaterial minds

If us humans display signs of consciousness by feeling pleasure and pain, being joyous or fearful and experiencing things through our senses, then surely it can be said that animals also display signs of consciousness. They too show these signs even if it seems to be to a lesser extent. As far as we can tell, they are closer to what we are than what a rock or water is. Therefore, it seems like animals also have a mind, and since materialism is false, their minds must also be immaterial like ours.

If animals don't have immaterial minds, then the only other conclusion is that they have material minds. That means that it would be a case of confirmation bias to say that our minds can't possibly be such that they are purely materialistic. An example would obviously be animals of this being possible.

The nature of the mind with respect to our bodies

We know that our minds are immaterial, but clearly our brains play a huge role in how our minds perform in this reality. If someone receives a serious blow to the head, they can lose consciousness. They could even wake up and have a different personality or be mentally impaired. These effects are known to be correlated with specific parts of the brain responsible for that particular mechanism; be it our rational thinking, ability to speak, ability to learn etc. therefore, it seems reasonable to think that the way in which our immaterial minds function is dictated by the content of our brains in this reality.

We also see a correlation between intelligence, psychology and varying abilities in animals and how developed their brains are. Therefore, their immaterial mind is only capable of so much in this reality depending on the body they are attached to, much the same as we are only capable of so much depending on the content of our brain.

From the two conclusions above, it seems like a case where every immaterial mind has the potential to be any sort of species in this reality. All it requires is that it be intimately connected to a specific sort of body, and thus that mind will live out its "life" on this earth as whatever species/body it's attached to. This brings me to a fatal conclusion about three concepts: a god, its intention for its creation and the events that follow after this "life".

If all sentient beings on this planet are simply immaterial minds that aren't different to one another when not incarnated into a body, then why is it that some of us got placed into a human body and others into bodies of animals who don't have culture and religion? Presumably, when animals die, there won't be a judgement by a god which will determine their residing place for eternity. For humans, those two things apply.

I'll leave you with an argument detailing this critical problem:

1) God is just
2) If (1) is true, then God created all immaterial minds equally
3) Immaterial minds have been incarnated and there now exists self-aware beings (humans) and non-self-aware beings (animals)
4) God will only judge humans
C) Therefore, a just God does not exist

We can go further and then conclude that immaterial minds weren't created by a god. Therefore, substance dualism is false and our consciousness is a product of our brain. More precisely, a combination of substance dualism and a personal god will produce a defeater for such a collection of beliefs.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: On Theism & Immaterial Minds
Any theistic takers??
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
If we don't need material to have minds or souls or whatever, which are capable of interacting with the matter which comprises our bodies and influencing it so that it behaves according to the impulses of the immaterial mind, why is a material body even necessary in the first place? Why not just make us be immaterial beings which interact with the material world directly?

That's not just an empty question, for Christian dogma treats the material aspect of humanity as vital to the whole concept of sin. But, then again, God creating the universe in the first place seems pointless in the context of Christian dogma.
(June 12, 2013 at 8:26 pm)Ryantology Wrote: If we don't need material to have minds or souls or whatever, which are capable of interacting with the matter which comprises our bodies and influencing it so that it behaves according to the impulses of the immaterial mind, why is a material body even necessary in the first place? Why not just make us be immaterial beings which interact with the material world directly?

That's not just an empty question, for Christian dogma treats the material aspect of humanity as vital to the whole concept of sin. But, then again, God creating the universe in the first place seems pointless in the context of Christian dogma.

It is a weird thought that we're being forced to play this cosmic game of Big Brother which will lead to either eternal pleasure or punishment. What if I didn't want to be involved in the first place??
(June 12, 2013 at 8:19 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Any theistic takers??

Why? You seem to have answered yourself up there. Undecided
(June 12, 2013 at 9:11 pm)catfish Wrote:
(June 12, 2013 at 8:19 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Any theistic takers??

Why? You seem to have answered yourself up there. Undecided

Because no philosophical argument is ever worth anything without first being rigorously objected to by the opposing parties.
Start with #1, I don't agree with that. Now what???
(June 12, 2013 at 10:11 pm)catfish Wrote: Start with #1, I don't agree with that. Now what???

Then it sounds like you agree with my conclusion. Now what?
If I don't agree with your premise, your conclusion is irrelevant, (not that I agree with it anyway).

What would be considered "just" in a material world if we were immaterial minds?
Animals are not self aware?
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3172 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11414 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Minds and Events fdesilva 40 4835 August 19, 2016 at 2:07 am
Last Post: fdesilva
  Gaps in theistic arguments. Secular theism vs religious theism Pizza 59 10648 February 27, 2015 at 12:33 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Is Dialogues Part XII Hume's "death bed conversion moment" to theism? Mudhammam 7 1932 June 25, 2014 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Deism challenged (& Theism as collateral damage) FallentoReason 2 2542 April 14, 2013 at 10:46 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Discussion of the Deism vs. Theism debate. leo-rcc 31 14564 May 22, 2011 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  What is Monist Theism? The_Flying_Skeptic 7 7651 April 26, 2010 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Caecilian