Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is faith a Mental Disease?
Is faith a Mental Disease?
[/b]I've been reading a few links on the web concerning the subject matter.

I'm not sure if I can agree 100% but I would think faith to be somewhat of an ignorant laziness or something like that.

Your feelings/thoughts please.
Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.
Bertrand Russell

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
Bertrand Russell
RE: Is faith a Mental Disease?
Faith is an excuse not to think.
Can be. It can also be an excuse, like Minimalist said.

Could be ignorance. Could be laziness. But yes, it can be a sickness. I strongly believe this.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(July 10, 2013 at 1:49 am)Minimalist Wrote: Faith is an excuse not to think.
I agree. All people have to believe things even if its just for a short period of time. I mean until you know it's either true or not. People have to believe scientific stuff until proven different but Faith is like belief in belief without the knowing. Sorry it boggles my mind somewhat and in this sense it seems almost disease like to me.

Can't know for sure?

(July 10, 2013 at 1:52 am)Ivy Wrote: Can be. It can also be an excuse, like Minimalist said.

Could be ignorance. Could be laziness. But yes, it can be a sickness. I strongly believe this.
Can you maybe expand on why you believe it could be a sickness?
Bertrand Russell

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
Bertrand Russell
Depends on what faith means. Faith is not always in a deity or something unknown. Faith can also mean hope in something is true with out evidence to show it is. For example you can have faith in someone even though you cannot prove fully of the aspect you have faith in. However faith in deity seems to steam from insecurity or inability to cope with reality.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
"Faith is believin' what you know ain't true" - Mark Twain

It's a very human thing, people believe what they feel they need to believe in order to cope. For some that could mean continuing to believe a spouse isn't cheating on them when everybody in their circle knows they are and in spite of evidence of the infidelity all over the place. They just can't bear to accept the truth so they don't.

Religious faith is necessary for many because the world can be a right scary place and it gives them comfort to believe in some uber-being taking an interest in our lives and well-being. Fear of death has a great deal to do with it as well, of course Granted that there is no real evidence of this, nothing you can measure, but that just makes it even more of a virtue to be a believer! (I always loved that one, I used to hear that all the time in Cathecism class as a kid.) As Mr. Spock would observe, you humans are so illogical. Angel
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

Quote:People have to believe scientific stuff until proven different but Faith is like belief in belief without the knowing.

Scientists usually can't wait to bore the hell out of you with their evidence. Religion is something totally different.

As the saying goes: Science has questions that may never be answered and religion has answers that must never be questioned.
On another forum this morning I read about a guy crying because he lost about $28500-00. Apparently he left a car to be sold by a secondhand dealer who now refuses to give him his money.

Turns out the guy signed all transfer papers etc. before the deal was made. This is in South Africa.

So to me it looks like Faith and Trust goes hand in hand.
Bertrand Russell

Bertrand Russell
(July 10, 2013 at 2:43 am)Attie Wrote: On another forum this morning I read about a guy crying because he lost about $28500-00. Apparently he left a car to be sold by a secondhand dealer who now refuses to give him his money.

Turns out the guy signed all transfer papers etc. before the deal was made. This is in South Africa.

I'd say that was more a case of if you are that fucking stupid, then you deserve what you get. I can't have any sympathy for a guy who is such a complete imbecile that he would sign all of the papers over before he got his money. This, however has nothing whatever to do with faith or trust.

With normal humans who have functioning brains, unlike this bonehead, trust is only bestowed when earned. I trust my wife because we've been together for decades and she has never given me any reason not to. Quite the contrary. In a more general sense, you could say that I have a great deal of faith in human nature: I have a great deal of faith in their inherent lack of being able to be trusted by any person with a healthy sense of self-preservation. I think your South African dude found that out the hard way. Indubitably
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

(July 10, 2013 at 3:06 am)Raven Wrote:
(July 10, 2013 at 2:43 am)Attie Wrote: On another forum this morning I read about a guy crying because he lost about $28500-00. Apparently he left a car to be sold by a secondhand dealer who now refuses to give him his money.

I'd say that was more a case of if you are that fucking stupid, then you deserve what you get. I can't have any sympathy for a guy who is such a complete imbecile that he would sign all of the papers over before he got his money. This, however has nothing whatever to do with faith or trust.

With normal humans who have functioning brains, unlike this bonehead, trust is only bestowed when earned. I trust my wife because we've been together for decades and she has never given me any reason not to. Quite the contrary. In a more general sense, you could say that I have a great deal of faith in human nature: I have a great deal of faith in their inherent lack of being able to be trusted by any person with a healthy sense of self-preservation. I think your South African dude found that out the hard way. Indubitably
Big Grin Your reaction really makes me feel welcome but I have difficulty distinguishing between being a moron and having faith, sorry. I don't mean to get personal it's just theI'm Sorry way my brain started working. I just don't trust faith. It makes me uneasy and it makes me feel a bit stupid. I'm SorryI'm SorryI'm Sorry
Bertrand Russell

Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 13081 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1465 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 34661 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2858 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Mental torture purplepurpose 45 12867 January 21, 2018 at 6:17 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7830 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 8795 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 12661 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Atheism "now world's third biggest 'faith'" madog 23 4680 July 30, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Something to shake the very foundation of your lack of faith yukapuka 306 38100 January 18, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: account_inactive