Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mental torture
Mental torture
Way too often I see pastors in lectures from different branches of Christianity blackmailing people with eternal hell and people just accept it.
RE: Mental torture
When all you've got to sell is bullshit naturally you tell people it smells like roses.

Why listen to those fucks in the first place?
(January 14, 2018 at 1:44 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: Way too often I see pastors in lectures from different branches of Christianity blackmailing people with eternal hell and people just accept it.

False doctrines are designed to cause people to be turned off the Bible, which does not teach such stupidity and injustice.
It would not be hard to convince you, but the religious are almost impossible to reason with, because they read with rose glasses.
Satan runs world religions, and always has attempted to, and has succeeded in the better part of history,
through ancient paganism, apostate Israel, the Catholic church, modern Protestantism united with the church of Rome, and eastern religions.

And you are right about mental torture - the doctrine of hell and such like it, have caused immense suffering to humanity, this was one of the things which caused the French revolution against the Catholic church, religion in general and the Bible - which was burned in public.
(January 14, 2018 at 2:09 pm)Banned Wrote:
(January 14, 2018 at 1:44 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: Way too often I see pastors in lectures from different branches of Christianity blackmailing people with eternal hell and people just accept it.

False doctrines are designed to cause people to be turned off the Bible, which does not teach such stupidity and injustice.
It would not be hard to convince you, but the religious are almost impossible to reason with, because they read with rose glasses.
Satan runs world religions, and always has attempted to, and has succeeded in the better part of history,
through ancient paganism, apostate Israel, the Catholic church, modern Protestantism united with the church of Rome, and eastern religions.

And you are right about mental torture - the doctrine of hell and such like it, have caused immense suffering to humanity, this was one of the things which caused the French revolution against the Catholic church, religion in general and the Bible - which was burned in public.

Banned, is there a point in heaven?

Seems like too often, I see atheists who are lulled by twitter like one liners, that really have no depth or substance too them.  That emotional language and mis-characterizing the others position is really all they have.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(January 14, 2018 at 2:34 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:

Seems like too often, I see atheists who are lulled by twitter like one liners, that really have no depth or substance too them.  That emotional language and mis-characterizing the others position is really all they have.

You want to say that God isn't using people as toys for his own joy by saying trash like "Love me. Me strong. Obey or prepare for suffering. Death isn't an option".

Christianity does not own a patent on emotional blackmail. Muslims use hell as a threat too. And even Buddhists and Hindus believe in reincarnation where if you do bad in life you come back as a lower life.

Jews like to claim now they don't believe in hell, but their Yahweh deity still is not kind to dissent, regardless of what followers think happens after death.

The motif of punishment/reward in religion has existed as a mythology worldwide in some form in our entire species history.

I assumed this was going to be about Justin Bieber.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Quote:the Bible, which does not teach such stupidity and injustice.

The stunning wrongness of that statement simply wobbles the mind.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 14, 2018 at 2:52 pm)purplepurpose Wrote:
(January 14, 2018 at 2:34 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Seems like too often, I see atheists who are lulled by twitter like one liners, that really have no depth or substance too them.  That emotional language and mis-characterizing the others position is really all they have.

You want to say that God isn't using people as toys for his own joy by saying trash like "Love me. Me strong. Obey or prepare for suffering. Death isn't an option".

I think you should listen to and be able to address good theology, before criticizing. This just re-emphasizes what I said before. Do you think that twisting what others say, to make a poor emotional appeal is a good way to make an argument?
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion is a Delusion/Mental Illness z7z 80 15093 May 27, 2015 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: snookerman
  Nigeria atheist sent to a mental institute Nine 15 3328 June 26, 2014 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  do you think people who believe in god have a underlying mental illness or symptom? leodeo 14 4224 January 18, 2014 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is Free-Thought a Mental Disease? Magnum 35 11361 July 15, 2013 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Is Female Pseudohermaphroditism a mental disease? Violet 7 3853 July 11, 2013 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Magnum
  Is faith a Mental Disease? Magnum 22 5510 July 11, 2013 at 7:57 am
Last Post: Chas
  Belief in God can improve mental health outcomes. Mystic 19 6465 May 5, 2013 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  Some quick mental drivelings. Creed of Heresy 2 2324 March 10, 2013 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: Angrboda