Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have an issue opening doors
I have an issue opening doors
You know when you meet an atheist (or a Christian/Muslim/etc. for our theist members out there) that makes you ashamed to call yourself an atheist (or a Christian/Muslim/etc.)

The other day my dad ran into a lady that made me ashamed to call myself a feminist.

He graciously opened a door for her and she turned around with an insulted expression. "What!? Do you think I can't open doors?" she exclaimed.

I decided that this is a good opportunity for me to "come clean". I have an issue with doors.
  • I push doors that I should pull and pull doors that I should push
  • Sometimes I use too much force and sometimes too little.
  • Sometimes doors have a hidden "open device" that you need to utilise before the door will allow you to open it.
  • When I eventually get the door open I sometimes hurt myself (it's usually my head or toe that suffers) or I stumble through dropping anything I was carrying.
  • The scariest of all is the "invisible door" that stops you in your tracks (giving you a nice bruise on your forehead) without any warning
I blame years of gaming where it didn't matter how powerful I became I still required the assistance of an NPC to open the door for me.

This post isn't a plea for guys to open doors for me. I'm fully aware that I traded that right in when I asked to be treated equally. It's a good trade if you ask me.

What it is a plea for:
  • To the lady who spend years practising opening doors and finally mastered it: I'm aware that it can be frustrating if you can't show off your skill to other people when a guy opens the door for you. But please spare a thought for those of us who has not reached "Door opening 1.0" and be kind to the guy.
  • To the other people out there: If you see someone struggle with a door that you were about to go through, step up and help them (the same way you will hopefully help someone who is carrying a lot of things). He/She might just be a gamer boy/girl who is trying to get from point A to point B without the help of a NPC.
RE: I have an issue opening doors
I don't see opening doors for women as sexist. I'll often open a door for someone whether it be male or female. It's just a kind gesture to another person.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(July 24, 2013 at 8:40 am)ITChick Wrote: To the other people out there: If you see someone struggle with a door that you were about to go through, step up and help them (the same way you will hopefully help someone who is carrying a lot of things). He/She might just be a gamer boy/girl who is trying to get from point A to point B without the help of a NPC.

Conversely, why not sap and pickpocket them? They shouldn't have let their guard down in a contested zone.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I open doors for everyone too, male or female. Its not a sexism thing its just common courtesy.
May God never test a man's faith with a door.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
I open the door for women when I want to look into their cleavage
(July 24, 2013 at 9:18 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: I open the door for women when I want to look into their cleavage

I generally stare in open space, especially in cases of women, because the women here are very sensitive, they do not like to be looked at especially by someone like me.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Dude, just wave your wallet around while you stare. Totally works. The plus side is that every so often you run into a hooker.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I know I've said this before, but I'm the perfect gentleman when it comes to this sort of thing. I always hold a door open, before walking through it; I always pull out a chair before I sit on it. I even make it a point of principle to let ladies go first every time. Well, you never know who or what's lying in wait, do you? Best to send someone in ahead to see if it's safe.

(July 24, 2013 at 9:21 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: I generally stare in open space, especially in cases of women, because the women here are very sensitive, they do not like to be looked at especially by someone like me.

I definitely get the last part (I wouldn't like that either); but if the ladies don't like being stared at, they shouldn't stand where my eyes are looking.

That's my defence anyway, Your Honour.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
My sense of door etiquette calls for me to hold the door open for the person coming directly behind me regardless of their sex. If someone approaching a door ahead of me is loaded down with packages, then I'll race ahead and get the door (or offer to if there isn't time to do so before they reach it). So anyone struggling with a door would generally get some help as well but I'm not sure I'd always know if they didn't ask for help. @ the OP, are there any signs I should watch out that would alert me that someone was in need of a little door chivalry? Or is it up to the rescuee to make their need known?

- willing but sometimes clueless in Berkeley

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free speech issue, again.... Foundy 32 3226 December 24, 2017 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Free speech issue... ƵenKlassen 34 4466 December 4, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Opening up about being mentally ill Faith No More 98 10174 December 31, 2015 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  End of chapter, the opening of another. Lemonvariable72 29 4456 November 21, 2014 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Olympic Opening Ceremony, thoughts? Napoléon 29 8309 July 29, 2012 at 11:39 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Immigration, a humanity issue, not a label one. Brian37 4 1962 June 16, 2012 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Opening Hailing Frequencies CaptainPicard 37 10683 April 5, 2012 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Violet
  Have you ever tried to debate Christians that have no clue? Dean-o 39 8645 June 22, 2011 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: tackattack