Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 12:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Secular Bear Market In God
The Secular Bear Market In God
I found this article interesting in that construction spending for religious building has been in the decline for years. There is hope Clap

Construction spending missed expectations falling 0.6% in June.

One of the notable drags on construction was the decline in spending on religious constructions, which was down 6.8% on the month, and 12.2% on the year.

A further breakdown, shows that private religious construction spending was down 7.3% on the month and 12.7% on the year.

But construction spending on religious institutions has been on a long-term, secular decline for some time now.

Read »

http://www.businessinsider.com/religious...0The%20Day
"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
RE: The Secular Bear Market In God
(August 2, 2013 at 6:51 am)Full Circle Wrote: I found this article interesting in that construction spending for religious building has been in the decline for years. There is hope Clap

Construction spending missed expectations falling 0.6% in June.

One of the notable drags on construction was the decline in spending on religious constructions, which was down 6.8% on the month, and 12.2% on the year.

A further breakdown, shows that private religious construction spending was down 7.3% on the month and 12.7% on the year.

But construction spending on religious institutions has been on a long-term, secular decline for some time now.

Read »

http://www.businessinsider.com/religious...0The%20Day

The article is not very informative. It just indicates that there has been a decline in spending without delving into its possible causes. This decline doesn't necessarily indicate an actual decline in religiosity.

One cause might be that religious buildings are often used for people to get together as a community - something that is served equally by the internet. So that's one possible reason for the decline.

Another might be de-emphasis on rituals and ceremonies, which are typically what these buildings are primarily needed for.

However, the primary reason for this decline would most likely be the economic climate. The funds for these buildings come in form of charitable donations and with the economy being what it is, people are not in a particularly charitable mood. However, that does not mean that they are any less religious.
I'm sure the economy has a lot to do with it, but personally I know of quite a few old church buildings which have either been abandoned or smaller structures turned into houses.

However, on the other hand I have seen a couple large new churches built lately.

The good news is that the few times I've been to church lately, I've noticed fewer and fewer younger people and mostly people 40 years or older. It would seem that the religious population is aging and the younger generations have less to do with religion.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Dwindling coffers, lawsuits, hush money and upkeep of mistresses. Possibly entrance fees for Regattas, too. It all takes away from secondary(tertiary?) concerns like church building. Not to mention charitable concerns.

Well, thank gawd they still have tax exempt status. Imagine the fiasco if that wasn't still in effect.

Yes...let's imagine.... Smile
I wish the IRS was a bit more strict on those churches who preach politics from the pulpit. I'm looking at you, Mormon church, with your Proposition 8. And you, right to life people who hand out leaflets at Catholic churches. And all other megachurches with pastors who tell their congregations to vote for.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Then again, a decline in spending on religious construction may not reflect how many of these structures are being built, or (as genkaus said) a decline in religiousity. Structures could be being built 'on the cheap', as it were.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
A more useful statistic might be the growth rate in occupancy capacity rather than construction cost. Newer megachurches do seem to trend towards the cheap, warehouse like affairs without any pretense to class, calculated pack in the largest possible numbers of souls of low discernment for the least hit on the revenue available for the pastor's private jet.
Maybe they're spending less money on building churches and more money building rocket ships. Because at some point, you start to realize that heaven ain't coming to you.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ex-Christian Secular Musicians Out There Playing Christmas Music? LivingNumbers6.626 34 6347 December 3, 2014 at 10:02 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Secular Humanism is now a "religion" Foxaèr 10 2220 November 7, 2014 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19561 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  How many of you are secular? Gooders1002 23 4276 April 12, 2014 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  Talking Snakes, Virgins Bear Children and Dead Men Walk Fryslân 33 14552 September 15, 2012 at 2:45 am
Last Post: Polaris
  More Adventures in Secular Parenting Erinome 16 2775 November 10, 2011 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Erinome