Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secular Humanism is now a "religion"
Secular Humanism is now a "religion"
Quote:In a landmark decision last week, a federal judge in Oregon declared ‘secular humanism’ to be a religion, opining that those who profess to be atheists and secular humanists should be afforded equal protection rights under the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Constitution and be allowed to enjoy the same liberties to practice religion that religious groups are able to enjoy.

http://christiannews.net/2014/11/04/fede...-atheists/
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Secular Humanism is now a "religion"
While I don't agree with it being entitled a religion, I understand the need to put it under a heading to give people equal protection.

When I used to post at ST.com, there was a religious nut who used a similar decision by a judge to reinforce his argument that atheism is a religion.
Dying to live, living to die.
I can see where the decision has merit. Where there is a freedom to be religious, there necessarily needs to be a freedom to be unreligious. As confusing as that is to then call it a religion. :-) They were suing for the same assembly rights within the prison as is afforded religious groups.
(November 4, 2014 at 4:58 pm)Beccs Wrote: While I don't agree with it being entitled a religion, I understand the need to put it under a heading to give people equal protection.

Well, technically speaking:
wikipedia Wrote:A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.

By certain broader definitions of religion, secular humanism could be considered one.
(November 4, 2014 at 4:58 pm)Beccs Wrote: When I used to post at ST.com, there was a religious nut who used a similar decision by a judge to reinforce his argument that atheism is a religion.

Atheism, on the other hand, still wouldn't be classified as one.
It's a religion, depending on your definition of it.
It's a small green frog, depending on your definition of it.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
It's great news for US humanists. In the UK (and most other European countries), we've had that level of recognition for many years now. Why the headline refers to 'atheists', I'm unsure. The Federal Court was reviewing humanism, not atheism. If it had been, it could never have reached that decision because atheism could never be classified as a religion under any accurate definition.
Sum ergo sum
(November 5, 2014 at 8:55 am)Ben Davis Wrote: It's great news for US humanists. In the UK (and most other European countries), we've had that level of recognition for many years now. Why the headline refers to 'atheists', I'm unsure. The Federal Court was reviewing humanism, not atheism. If it had been, it could never have reached that decision because atheism could never be classified as a religion under any accurate definition.

NO it is not. This short term well intended tactic misses long term human behavior. It is easy to focus on the compassion of today in one group, but that misses the point that anything that forms a group IN ANY ASPECT of a society, be it political party, business, nationalism OR RELIGION, can in the future go on to become abusive.

Religion is poison and anything can be a religion, meaning being married to an idea. We are NOT a separate species and we have always been capable of the same range of cruelty and compassion.

Our behavior is not dictated by the labels we invent or the ideas we come up with. It isn't that we should never have ideas or form groups, but that we as a species fail to see the bigger evolutionary picture.

I do NOT have everything in common with other atheists, or even everything in common with liberals, even if I agree with many of the compassionate ideas they have.

There still are other atheists who do not share the same economic views such as Ayn Rand atheists. And I also do not agree with political correctness as a tactic to keep the peace.

We will always be a diverse species even within the same camps. We are still individuals. We can have our labels and clubs and form groups without elevating it to the dogmatic level of the word "religion".

Nothing in life should ever be set up to a dogmatic level and "religion" is the worst way humans group. It allows us to focus too much on our differences and not enough on our common existence.
Not playing football is a sport
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(November 5, 2014 at 9:23 am)Brian37 Wrote:

Interesting. So you're saying that the principle of mass association (the ready ability of humans to form large groups with common themes) is ultimately self-defeating due to the nature of individuality and the way that some people express it?

But what of groups like the humanists who aren't dogmatic? They have a set of shared principles and common beliefs at the high-level, yes (which is why the court granted them this case) but there's no humanist rulebook, no tenets of faith, no indoctrinal rote learning. I'd also suggest that as humanity develops further, the shared principles to which humanism subscribes would be subject to change.
Sum ergo sum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is rationalism a humanism? MarcusA 61 3618 September 3, 2023 at 4:28 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Do leftists tends to be more sympathetic towards lack of humanism in islamic world Runi93 7 991 May 19, 2018 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10730 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4907 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19828 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Ex-Christian Secular Musicians Out There Playing Christmas Music? LivingNumbers6.626 34 6307 December 3, 2014 at 10:02 am
Last Post: robvalue
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49328 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  How many of you are secular? Gooders1002 23 4269 April 12, 2014 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  The Secular Bear Market In God Full Circle 7 1675 August 2, 2013 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  More Adventures in Secular Parenting Erinome 16 2761 November 10, 2011 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Erinome