Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Adventures in Secular Parenting
More Adventures in Secular Parenting
So, my son is sick. Nothing major, just the sniffles and a productive cough. He felt yucky, though, so I kept him out of school and made him a doctor appointment. I called his father too, because I am cool like that, and asked him if he would like to accompany us to the doctor's office. He said he would, and so I picked him up. The fight started nearly immediately because of the fricken shirt I was wearing, which is one of my many blasphemous shirts, but the least aggressively offensive. It is a black T-shirt that I got about a year ago from the Richard Dawkins website. It says "We Are All Africans" on the front. The really "blasphemous" stuff is on the back, but you can't even see it, as my hair is very thick and long, and hangs all the way down my back to about the middle of my ass.

Anyway, he made a face when he saw it, and went on to say that he was embarrassed to go to the doctor with me wearing that shirt, to which I replied that the doctors were well aware that we are all Africans, and to get over it. He pretty much kept his mouth closed until we got to the doctor's office. When they put us back in the exam room, he went over to my son and said, "Son, the only way you're going to get over this is to love Jesus and pray for him to heal you."

I promptly ejected from chair as if he'd just started beating him, and punched him so hard in the face that his nose bled. It is a knee-jerk reaction that I now regret, but at the moment it seriously felt to me like I was watching my child be abused, and that's something with which I have a huge problem.

The look on my son's face was heart-breaking, and that, mind you, is my sole reason for regret. He started screaming at me, the doctors and nurses rushed in, and of course, he told them that I had cold-cocked him in the face, and the sea of glaring eyes were thrust upon me. Once everyone calmed down, and I was able to share my side of the story, the doctors were more sympathetic towards me, because that sort of talk offends them, and the nature of scientific healing to which they have devoted their lives.

To make a long story short, we pseudo made up right there in the exam room, and kept our cools until my son was examined, and we left. In the car he continued his preaching to my son, who became furious. Through a flurry of tears, he yelled at his father with a passion and anger that I had never seen before. He said he knew evolution was true because he's smart enough to understand things like that, and not only did I show him the evidence, but his teacher did too.

Then he became even angrier when his father suggested that if his knowledge of human origins didn't come from the bible, it was all knowledge of lies and nothing more.

To paraphrase my son's response:

"You know nothing! You know nothing at all! Where is your god to heal Dane's arm? (Dane is the 7 year old son of the people who adopted my baby who was born without his left arm) If your god can heal his arm, he won't and what kind of screwed up god is that, huh? Dane's never hurt anyone! I'll tell ya who is gonna give Dane a new arm! Science! That's who! He's getting a bionic arm! Maybe it will even have missile launchers on it so we can team up and I'll kick all the stupid, ugly crosses down with my mega kick and he'll blast them all down with his missile arm, and we'll replace all of them with schools and mommy can teach at them because she's smart and I am glad she punched you!"

All said in through angry tears.

His father looked at me, and accused me of "warping his mind". Then he went on to say. "Maybe Dane was born without an arm because his mother is a godless piece of trash."

My son unbuckled himself, leaped from the backseat, and began punching his father in the skull. I pulled over, and promptly removed my son from his father's skull and got him calmed down. When we got back in the car, my daughter, who had been uncharacteristically quiet throughout all this madness, very calmly said, "Dad, we're all primates, not skymates. Get over it."

I burst out laughing through my tears, and we got on with the business of dropping the crazy motherfucker off at his house. I spent all evening having good conversation with my kids, and have since reproached violence, including my own, and tried to make them understand the best I can.

If you've read this whole thing, thank you. If you would like to give me some feedback as to how to handle further issues like this, it would be much appreciated. I apologize for the length of this post, but you here at this forum are the only friends I have that would understand my side, and I needed to get it out. Thank you for listening.

RE: More Adventures in Secular Parenting
Kudos to your very astute son and daughter.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
The guy is such a dickhead that you might consider going to the doctor alone from now on.

Kids are cool, though.
Holy crap that was screwed up especially the comment he made about him not having an arm due to his mother being godless....
Your kids are smart. Way smarter than I was at that age.
Your kids are smart cos they have a smart mother!! Heart

I'm with Min..don't include the schmuk Angry unless ABSOLUTELY Necessary!!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
'his mother is a godless piece of trash...... with amazing tits.'

Giggedy giggedy giggedy giggedy let's have sex

[Image: Edmund_grindal.png]
I'm liking the idea of the bionic arm with the missile launchers.....
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
LOL, 5th! Dane isn't my son, he's the older son of the people who adopted my son, who has both arms, and is 2 years old. But the adoptive mother of my son is an atheist. She also has an amazing rack.

I feel terrible about the way I reacted. I'm totally ashamed of myself. Lesson learned, that's the important thing.

Just remember, he's the good compassionate christian and you're the evil amoral atheist...........

On second thoughts

ROFLOL

I have to ask, what did you ever see in that self righteous, self satisfied shitbag?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Christian Parenting Guide Mental Outlaw 3 975 February 8, 2015 at 8:16 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  The more you attend Church, the more likely you are so support Torture. CapnAwesome 111 15771 December 23, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Ex-Christian Secular Musicians Out There Playing Christmas Music? LivingNumbers6.626 34 6302 December 3, 2014 at 10:02 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Secular Humanism is now a "religion" Foxaèr 10 2205 November 7, 2014 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  How many of you are secular? Gooders1002 23 4264 April 12, 2014 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  Atheist parenting advice - Church run preschool? EvolvedKnight 13 2700 March 13, 2014 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  The Secular Bear Market In God Full Circle 7 1675 August 2, 2013 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Tonus