Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Answered Questions
Answered Questions
1. Does God love you?

No. Love is an exclusively human emotion which occurs when the happiness of one person is essential to the happiness of another. Since an omnimax Being cannot experience the subjective state of 'happy', it cannot love.

2. Does God answer prayers?

No. Answering a prayer would entail that God has changed a facet of the universe on behalf of a particular penitent. Since God is, by defintion, immutable, God is logically unable to change or to effect change.

Did God create the universe?

No. If God is perfect, then God is, of neccessity, complete (incomplete things cannot be perfect). The only defintion of completes that is coherent is something that is finished, that has no lack. One could argue, I suppose, that God and the universe are coeval, but that doesn't permit God to perform a creative act.

4. Is God both merciful and just?

No. Mercy and justice are qualities in conflict - if God evinces mercy, then God has abrogated justice, and vice versa.

5. Is God necessary?

No. There is not, and never has been, a phenomenon that, in the final analysis requires God as an explanation.

Is God afraid of anything?

Yes. Kaiser Soze.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Answered Questions
(August 13, 2013 at 7:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Is God afraid of anything?

What you said and iron chariots.
1. Does God love you?

No. There is no evidence that any god exists.

2. Does God answer prayers?

See #1

Did God create the universe?

See #1

4. Is God both merciful and just?

See #1

5. Is God necessary?

Obviously not

Is God afraid of anything?

Yes. Hemorrhoids.
(August 13, 2013 at 7:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 1. Does God love you?

No. Love is an exclusively human emotion which occurs when the happiness of one person is essential to the happiness of another. Since an omnimax Being cannot experience the subjective state of 'happy', it cannot love.
Neither God nor the bible describes himself as an 'Omni-max' being.

Further More there seems to be quite a bit of evidence that Humans are not the only being that experience Love.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_in_animals

So does God love us? Not all but most of us yes. How do we know? "Fore the bible tells me so."Big Grin

Quote:2. Does God answer prayers?

No. Answering a prayer would entail that God has changed a facet of the universe on behalf of a particular penitent. Since God is, by defintion, immutable, God is logically unable to change or to effect change.
Ah, no. Prayer is not a petition to God to change the universe to fit your personal want or desire. Prayer is the method in which Christ Himself taught us to use to help us Change "Our will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven." To "God's will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven."

Again prayer is to change our will and not God's. your thinking of supplication/petitioning God. which is not a sin, but at the same time is also not praying.

Quote:Did God create the universe?

No. If God is perfect, then God is, of neccessity, complete (incomplete things cannot be perfect). The only defintion of completes that is coherent is something that is finished, that has no lack. One could argue, I suppose, that God and the universe are coeval, but that doesn't permit God to perform a creative act.
Where in the bible does it say God is or always has been complete?
If the bible does not claim being 'complete' is an attribute of God then it is safe to assume your understanding of perfection imposes a state of eternal completeness artificially onto God.
If that is the case then know: Merrium Webster does not agree with your definition of perfect.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/perfect

If being eternally complete is not apart of the definition of perfection then God could have had a need to create and subsequently filled that need through creation.

Quote:4. Is God both merciful and just?

No. Mercy and justice are qualities in conflict - if God evinces mercy, then God has abrogated justice, and vice versa.
What makes you think God needs to be merciful and just to be God? Is this more Omni max 'stuff?' Again God does not describe Himself as 'Omni max' He describes Himself as "I am. The Alpha and the Omega, The beginning and end." In short God is whomever He wants to be when ever He wants to be it. He has the first and last word on all matters, which means He is not tied to the foolish Omni-max paradoxes you and epicrus have confused yourself with.

Quote:5. Is God necessary?

No. There is not, and never has been, a phenomenon that, in the final analysis requires God as an explanation.
So you are claiming complete knowledge of all known and potentially unknown phenomenon? Doesn't that make you God? Which would be the final conclusion one would logically come to, if someone such as yourself can honestly make a claim like the one you made...Thinking

Quote:Is God afraid of anything?

Yes. Kaiser Soze.

Boru
I think it would take more than Kevin Spacey and his favorite coffie cup.Big Grin
(August 14, 2013 at 12:28 am)Minimalist Wrote: Is God afraid of anything?

Yes. Hemorrhoids.

That should make for a pretty mental image for all his ass-kissers.
Re: RE: Answered Questions
Quote: No. Answering a prayer would entail that God has changed a facet of the universe on behalf of a particular penitent. Since God is, by defintion, immutable, God is logically unable to change or to effect change. Ah, no. Prayer is not a petition to God to change the universe to fit your personal want or desire. Prayer is the method in which Christ Himself taught us to use to help us Change "Our will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven." To "God's will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven."

Again prayer is to change our will and not God's. your thinking of supplication/petitioning God. which is not a sin, but at the same time is also not praying.
How about when you pray for someone's health or for someone in trouble? How does that fit with this?
I have no problem sharing a common ancestor with the apes; it's being related to some people that bothers me.
(August 14, 2013 at 12:52 am)genkaus Wrote:
(August 14, 2013 at 12:28 am)Minimalist Wrote: Is God afraid of anything?

Yes. Hemorrhoids.

That should make for a pretty mental image for all his ass-kissers.

There is a method to my madness!
(August 13, 2013 at 7:31 pm)LastPoet Wrote: and iron chariots.

Thor..?

[Image: thor%20in%20his%20chariot-1024x768.jpg?1324061959]
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(August 14, 2013 at 1:03 am)Bravo Wrote: How about when you pray for someone's health or for someone in trouble? How does that fit with this?

Prayer is what was modeled by Christ in the first part of Luke 11. (The Lord's Prayer.)

"When you Pray, Pray like this:"

"Our Father who is in Heaven Holy is you name."
(Acknoweledgement of God's power and authority)

"Your kingdom come"
(Asking God to usher in His Kingdom)

"Your will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven."
(Meaning we adopt His will as our own/accept what He has in store for us.)

"Give us this day our daily bread."
(This is the only opportunity we have to Ask for stuff, and Christ limits it for our needs. One can argue here that our Health would fit this category.)

"Forgive us as we forgive those who sin against us."
(In this part of the Lord's prayer we are asking God to make our salvation conditional or tie our salvation to our ablity to forgive those who sin against us.)

This is the outline of actual 'prayer'.' Which according to Paul in 2 tim is different from supplication/petitioning god for wants and desires. Which again is not a sin, but has been separated from actual prayer. By Christ in his model prayer and through the identification by Paul.
(August 14, 2013 at 12:43 am)Drich Wrote: So does God love us? Not all but most of us yes. How do we know? "Fore the bible tells me so."Big Grin

The Babble also tells you to cut off the hand of a woman who grabs the gonads of someone who is attacking her husband.

Next....

Quote:Ah, no. Prayer is not a petition to God to change the universe to fit your personal want or desire.

Really? Then what about all those people who pray for help in a natural disaster? You're admitting that your deity won't assist them? Not to mention that I'm sure I can find testimonials from people who prayed for help and they'll swear "God" sent it.

Quote:Again prayer is to change our will and not God's. your thinking of supplication/petitioning God. which is not a sin, but at the same time is also not praying.

If this is true, then no one should be praying for medical cures or for help in finding a job.

Quote:What makes you think God needs to be merciful and just to be God?

Because that's how the vast majority of believers describe your deity. And you can't be both. "Just" means giving out punishment appropriate to the transgression. "Merciful" means giving out less of a punishment than the transgression deserves. So which is it? Is your deity merciful or just? And if he's merciful, why does he allow children to get cancer? Or cerebral palsy? Or muscular dystrophy? Or be born blind, missing limbs, or with Down's Syndrome?
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need an argument answered GTR-1 21 3276 August 30, 2016 at 4:20 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A Creationist answered 10 questions . . . drfuzzy 26 7805 December 11, 2015 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Fallacies in an "Answered Prayer" explanation? Clueless Morgan 33 7490 April 26, 2015 at 1:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheist surprised when god answered his prayer Foxaèr 74 14741 March 16, 2015 at 11:11 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  Answered prayer Drich 91 17642 February 20, 2014 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Drich
  "The bible test" Answered. Drich 193 43505 December 21, 2013 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Jesus interupted/answered part 2 Drich 0 768 September 14, 2013 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Answered Prayers as Proof of God FadingW 91 23079 February 8, 2011 at 8:00 am
Last Post: bjhulk