Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need an argument answered
Need an argument answered
I go to Halden high school and when we had religion for the very first time, the lecturer at the end of the class very subtly shared the gospel with all of us and this is not even a private school, it's a state school. I figured I need to challenge this guy so I anonymously sent him an e-mail asking him how he knows that the Bible is true and he said because of Ivan Panin's discovery of the heptadic structure. I never heard about this before but smells like BS nevertheless I need an answer
RE: Need an argument answered
Erm yeah, it's total BS.

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/panin1.htm

It's numerology. You can find whatever patterns you like if you're willing to be totally flexible with the rules, given a large enough document. It would work just as well with any old crap. It proves absolutely nothing.

Ultimately it's an argument from incredulity anyway. How could the authors have known all this crap? How could they have inserted these codes? They didn't, but even if they did, we don't know how or why.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Ugh...numerology.  Tell him that given enough mathematical gymnastics you can find similar patterns and "hidden messages" in any significantly large text.  For instance, Muslims claim the same thing about the Quran. But I'll bet he thinks that's nonsensical garbage, right?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I seem to recall reading that someone applied this same rigorous methodology to Moby Dick with interesting results, though I don't care enough to find a link for it. Your teacher sounds like a real genius.
It's funny how there's so much evidence, when all that is required is faith, huh. Make your mind up much?
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(August 29, 2016 at 10:31 am)robvalue Wrote: Erm yeah, it's total BS.

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/panin1.htm

It's numerology. You can find whatever patterns you like if you're willing to be totally flexible with the rules, given a large enough document. It would work just as well with any old crap. It proves absolutely nothing.

Ultimately it's an argument from incredulity anyway. How could the authors have known all this crap? How could they have inserted these codes? They didn't, but even if they did, we don't know how or why.

telling him "it's numerology, end of story" would be equivalent to me stating I have no idea I give up -- got any analysis of another book that shows the same?Quran would be the best lol, cause that would blow his little bubble and make him consider Allah, or any way I can demonstrate that it's only him giving pure chance a divine conclusion? I'm not looking to give PROOF that he's wrong, not only say it's numerology you are wrong, he would write me off
Ah, numerology. It's about as legit as astrology, which means it's a complete fantasy. It's also yet another example of confirmation bias.

People see patterns in everything. We're very good at inventing them. You can do the same thing with Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
Oh, look, they found the same crap in Moby Dick.

ETA: As now see Crossless1 mentioned.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 29, 2016 at 10:27 am)GTR-1 Wrote: I go to Halden high school and when we had religion for the very first time, the lecturer at the end of the class very subtly shared the gospel with all of us and this is not even a private school, it's a state school. I figured I need to challenge this guy so I anonymously sent him an e-mail asking him how he knows that the Bible is true and he said because of Ivan Panin's discovery of the heptadic structure. I never heard about this before but smells like BS nevertheless I need an answer

Just curious: how exactly did your teacher share the "Good News"?
Quran code

Also, the fact that the conclusion isn't what he thinks it is, is relevant. As I said, it's an argument from incredulity.

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Creationist answered 10 questions . . . drfuzzy 26 7765 December 11, 2015 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Fallacies in an "Answered Prayer" explanation? Clueless Morgan 33 7452 April 26, 2015 at 1:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheist surprised when god answered his prayer Foxaèr 74 14654 March 16, 2015 at 11:11 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  Answered prayer Drich 91 17556 February 20, 2014 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Drich
  "The bible test" Answered. Drich 193 43415 December 21, 2013 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Jesus interupted/answered part 2 Drich 0 763 September 14, 2013 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Answered Questions BrianSoddingBoru4 35 17183 August 15, 2013 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Bad Writer
  Answered Prayers as Proof of God FadingW 91 23038 February 8, 2011 at 8:00 am
Last Post: bjhulk