Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist surprised when god answered his prayer
Atheist surprised when god answered his prayer
Except that god did not answer his prayer at all.

Quote:Clay Lein was a former atheist who needed substantive proof and logical reasoning before he would believe anything. So for most of his life, he did not believe in God.

"I had a very rational mind. It had to be logical. I needed proof. There had to be evidence. And if there wasn't proof then it was just something people made up," Lein told KHOU Channel 11 News.

And things were going pretty well with Lein - he had a successful career and a loving wife so he figured that there was no need to believe in God even though many others did.

But one day, his wife pleaded with him to go to church. He only agreed because he believed "church was a place nice people go." One thing led to another, and Lein even volunteered his services for a youth camp.

There, the disbelieving Lein was put on the spot and asked to pray publicly. Despite his inexperience, Lein did pretty well - so well, in fact, that he even prayed for each child there and he did not stop praying for a whole 15 minutes. And God answered his prayer, much to his surprise.

A young girl began crying right after because she was so moved by Lein's personal prayer for her.

"In between the sobs she begins to share that her uncle was abusing her," he recalled. "And that she hadn't been able to tell anybody else until that moment. That's when I think something clicked for me.

"God was relevant and He really wanted to do amazing things in my life," added Lein. "I became a Christian that day. And I heard a voice, and it wasn't Charleton Heston, it was more a thought that comes up and often times it sounds like Clay's voice but it was definitely God. And it said, 'Try me.'"

Lein tried God that day and he has not regretted his decision since. He even enrolled in seminary and was ordained an Episcopalian minister in 1996. Now, he is the rector of St John the Divine in Houston, and the church has over 4,000 members. Outside the church, they have a sign that reads: "Changing lives for God in Christ."

"I'm a poster child," said Lein. "If God can change me, He can change anybody."

God did not answer a prayer. What happened was the girl simply decided to finally speak up. No god involved. Nothing supernatural involved. And of course this former atheist got his fifteen minutes of fame.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/at.../49557.htm
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Atheist surprised when god answered his prayer
Lol thanks for posting this Big Grin
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(March 11, 2015 at 6:29 pm)Sionnach Wrote: Except that god did not answer his prayer at all.

Quote:Clay Lein was a former atheist who needed substantive proof and logical reasoning before he would believe anything. So for most of his life, he did not believe in God.

"I had a very rational mind. It had to be logical. I needed proof. There had to be evidence. And if there wasn't proof then it was just something people made up," Lein told KHOU Channel 11 News.

And things were going pretty well with Lein - he had a successful career and a loving wife so he figured that there was no need to believe in God even though many others did.

But one day, his wife pleaded with him to go to church. He only agreed because he believed "church was a place nice people go." One thing led to another, and Lein even volunteered his services for a youth camp.

There, the disbelieving Lein was put on the spot and asked to pray publicly. Despite his inexperience, Lein did pretty well - so well, in fact, that he even prayed for each child there and he did not stop praying for a whole 15 minutes. And God answered his prayer, much to his surprise.

A young girl began crying right after because she was so moved by Lein's personal prayer for her.

"In between the sobs she begins to share that her uncle was abusing her," he recalled. "And that she hadn't been able to tell anybody else until that moment. That's when I think something clicked for me.

"God was relevant and He really wanted to do amazing things in my life," added Lein. "I became a Christian that day. And I heard a voice, and it wasn't Charleton Heston, it was more a thought that comes up and often times it sounds like Clay's voice but it was definitely God. And it said, 'Try me.'"

Lein tried God that day and he has not regretted his decision since. He even enrolled in seminary and was ordained an Episcopalian minister in 1996. Now, he is the rector of St John the Divine in Houston, and the church has over 4,000 members. Outside the church, they have a sign that reads: "Changing lives for God in Christ."

"I'm a poster child," said Lein. "If God can change me, He can change anybody."

God did not answer a prayer. What happened was the girl simply decided to finally speak up. No god involved. Nothing supernatural involved. And of course this former atheist got his fifteen minutes of fame.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/at.../49557.htm

You can prove your statement , right. You can read their minds and know exactly what happened with each of them. Just think God may have you targeted to us in someones life. Never know, and you can't prove He doesn't.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
I think GC's hammered again.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
So instead of helping the girl, HE let her get abused, so that in future HE can have her speak up publicly and gain a follower(...and still nothing about actually stopping the abuse).....ClapClapClapClapWorshipWorship
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

"I had a very rational mind."

Emphasis on "had". But then I grilled my brain in the microwave, and suddenly God started to reach out to me! For example, the other day, it came out that this girl was abused in a horrible way, but all's well, because God found a way to make it all about me, and now I'm famous! Book out in shops near Christmas. Yay God! This religion is great, such pleasant surprises it provides!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 12, 2015 at 12:35 am)Godschild Wrote: You can prove your statement , right. You can read their minds and know exactly what happened with each of them. Just think God may have you targeted to us in someones life. Never know, and you can't prove He doesn't.

GC

I love how this obsession with evidence only appears when it suits you. Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Wow. It is amazing what little it takes to convince people of a whole bunch of nonsense fairy tales. Funny how it's always the nearest, most convenient religion that is responsible for these "miracles".
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Quote:"church was a place nice people go."

Right there, I knew the story was bullshit.
Along with the fact that he seems to be practically working for the Church for some time whilst apparently still an Atheist.

If God can convince someone who spends hours of their free time in a church to becomes a Christian, he must be very powerful indeed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cult leader encouraging his followers to starve to death. Rev. Rye 2 451 April 28, 2023 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Please help prayer to get maaried soon for my mom heath.! meboxem166 21 2683 April 1, 2023 at 5:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why doesn't God love his enemies? Fake Messiah 16 1304 November 30, 2022 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Rainbow (He/Him/His) No penis, identifies as a male Nihilist Virus 25 1810 April 17, 2021 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  The Catholic Church has a prayer app zebo-the-fat 5 623 January 21, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Jesus’ Failed Prophecy About His Return DoubtingHerFaith 107 14838 January 15, 2019 at 4:29 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Intercessory prayer is pointless RobbyPants 93 9914 October 27, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pope Fuckface Is Either Losing His Mind Or Remembered How The Church Traditionally Minimalist 12 2118 October 10, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Group prayer on Skype on behalf of our Christian members I_am_not_mafia 132 15970 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Can a Chrisitan lose his/her salvation? Jehanne 130 30705 July 26, 2017 at 10:25 am
Last Post: drfuzzy