Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:47 pm

Poll: Do you "get" art
This poll is closed.
Yep
38.46%
10 38.46%
Nope
38.46%
10 38.46%
Kinda
23.08%
6 23.08%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't get art...
I don't get art...
Am I "uncultured" because I agree with this?

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/im-sick-o...t-get-art/

Quote:I'm like, 99% sure that nobody's ACTUALLY into art and it's just some exclusive club you can only join if you've got more money than interesting things to communicate to the rest of the human species.

Worth a read if you've got a spare minute or two.
RE: I don't get art...
I can "get" some art in that I understand what the artist intended to express sometimes. There are times when I don't bother because I don't think there's anything to understand. If an artist takes a 3 x 3 canvas and paints a small blue square in one of the corners, perhaps it speaks to his sense of isolation and depression in a white-dominated world. Or maybe he mindlessly squashed a gnat while he was mixing his paints, and decided that THIS MEANS SOMETHING.

I take the approach that art is to be enjoyed. Sometimes that means seeing the meaning in a work, sometimes that means not wanting to make the effort to try and figure out the meaning behind a work. It might also mean moving on to the next piece if the work in question isn't enjoyable to look at and doesn't make sense to me when it's explained.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I don't 'get' all tings considered art, but I am a fan of beautiful (and often classical) esthetics. Fortunately art is in the eye of the beholder, just because I like certain art, doesn't mean that I have to think that a neon sign spelling out 'My cunt is wet with fear' is edgy, thought provoking or beautiful. Makes me think of this scene in 'She's all that':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_MJrybDRKA

"My soul is an island, my car is a Ford."

Yeah, no thank you. I'll stick with Dalí and Picasso.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Yeah it does depend on the art in question. Now, a great painting from someone like Da Vinci, speaks more to me than a 'great' painting by someone like Picasso. Some art I appreciate and "get", but to be honest a lot of things considered art (especially in these ootie tootie art galleries) look to me like a 5 year old with a paint straw could do.
Trust me it isn't difficult to "get" art.

A lot of art is nothing more than a bunch of pretentious talentless hipsters who can't draw, illustrate, sculpt or do anything that requires skill, creativity or imagination,
so instead they trash a bedroom, make a mess on the floor or just do something vulgar and attention seeking.

There's an overpriced hipster restaurant near me that has plenty of art like this, I went upstairs in there last time and saw the floor covered in dust and cardboard boxes and it looked like people had just tried to make a mess, that was the art.

It's basically what I consider to be shit boring art, I think most other people do because of the 3 floors of "art" in that building there was 2 women there and I think they worked for the place.
Same thing in the "art" gallery near me, it's full of things like a picture of a man wearing a wedding dress, trying to be controversial or something, no one ever goes there and again it's just wasted space.

I do love some imaginative and thought provoking art though, like the guy who used dead bodies and the one who displayed a shark cut in half, I would actually pay to go and see that it sounds amazing.
And there's some amazingly talented artists on deviant art, I used to go on there but I admit I'm not that talented at that type of art, I consider myself to be more musical, and I view music in the same way, sometimes when people try and be too thought provoking and alternative and hipsterish they tend to loose focus on actually making catchy banging music.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I didn't "get" or like anything in that link but there is plenty of other art that I can appreciate.
I don't "get" art at all. I can appreciate it. I can say, "wow that guy was talented." But art doesn't interest me in the slightest. Last time I went to an art museum I was tempted to knock over one of the marble statues onto my skull.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

(August 29, 2013 at 9:15 am)Napoléon Wrote: Yeah it does depend on the art in question. Now, a great painting from someone like Da Vinci, speaks more to me than a 'great' painting by someone like Picasso. Some art I appreciate and "get", but to be honest a lot of things considered art (especially in these ootie tootie art galleries) look to me like a 5 year old with a paint straw could do.
Agree, the same goes with "fashion". When I see models wearing some of clothes on I wonder why their makers aren't locked in mental health facilities.

[Image: 35361wl.jpg]
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

I don't 'get' art at all, which is not good considering I'm in an art history class this semester. I thought it was a film class! The horror!
I knew a guy named "Art." He was a real asshole.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Art in the Home FrustratedFool 17 1297 October 25, 2023 at 6:59 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  "Impossible" Art LinuxGal 12 1238 September 9, 2023 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is art deranged? MarcusA 29 2158 September 3, 2023 at 7:34 am
  What is Art? MarcusA 15 1077 September 3, 2023 at 2:17 am
Last Post: MarcusA
  Art in decadence? Macoleco 53 5584 December 4, 2022 at 5:43 pm
  Of neon and art deco...... Brian37 7 534 September 2, 2020 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  April fool. This is indeed a work of art. Succubus#2 1 354 April 1, 2020 at 6:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  'demonic' art project at school Fake Messiah 1 505 October 23, 2019 at 12:16 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Censored Art Photos Foxaèr 5 577 April 27, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Your Thoughts On Art Alan V 86 6459 April 16, 2019 at 6:35 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir