Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About fucking time, Saudi Arabia...
About fucking time, Saudi Arabia...
Saudi Arabia has finally passed its first law against domestic violence.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast...19559.html

Quote:Saudi Arabia has adopted a law that criminalises domestic violence, usually targeting women and children, in a decision hailed by activists.

We are always in favour of an explicit law that does not need interpretations or personal judgment

Khaled al-Fakher,
National Society for Human Rights

The "Protection from Abuse" law, approved by the cabinet on Monday, is aimed at protecting people from "all forms of abuse" and offering them shelter as well as "social, psychological, and medical aid," according to its text.

The law, approved during a cabinet meeting on August 26, came several months after a local charity launched a nationwide campaign to combat violence against women.

Saudi Arabia has often faced international criticism for lacking laws that protect women and domestic workers against abuse.

Under the 17-article bill, those found guilty of committing psychological or physical abuse could face prison sentences of up to one year and up to $13,300 in fines.

Women are the main victims of domestic violence with "98 percent of physical violence committed by men against women," it said.

Saudi Arabia, which applies a strict version of Islamic law, imposes many restrictions on women, based on laws and traditions that empower male guardians.

'Good law'

The legislation was hailed by Saudi human rights activists who said they were waiting to see it implemented.
Inside Story- Is Saudi Arabia really opening up?

"This is a good law that serves major segments of the society in the kingdom, including women, children, domestic workers and non-domestic workers," Khaled al-Fakher, secretary-general of the National Society for Human Rights, a government-licensed body, told the Reuters news agency.

"We are always in favour of an explicit law that does not need interpretations or personal judgment," said Fakher, whose organisation helped draft the law.

The United Nations urged the kingdom to create laws to protect women as early as 2008.

The King Khalid Foundation in April launched an unprecedented campaign to raise awareness about violence against women. The campaign's main poster, which featured a woman wearing a veil that showed one of her eyes blackened, was widely circulated on the Internet.
Legislation was hailed by Saudi human rights activists who said they were waiting to see it implemented [AFP]

Underneath the picture, a caption read: "Some things can't be covered - fighting women's abuse together."

Fakher said one reason domestic violence was rampant in Saudi Arabia was because tribal traditions prevented women from reporting abuse for fear of social stigma.

"Women think what the community would say about her if she filed a complaint," he said.

There has also been an increase in reports of cases of domestic abuse in which families mistreat their maids, sometimes resulting in them turning on the children of their employers.

The law gives those who report abuse the right to remain anonymous, as well as immunity from litigation should abuse fail to be proven in a court. It also urges witnesses to report abuse without having to disclose their identity, which Fakher said was a significant part of the law.

Rights activist Waleed Abu al-Khair said the new law gave women some independence.

"Women were required to bring in a male relative if they showed up at a police station to file a complaint," Abu al-Khair said. This will not now be necessary, he said.

The law could be a step towards changing current regulations which require women to get approval of male guardians - fathers, husbands or sons - to carry out business, apply for jobs or travel outside the country, Abu al-Khair said.

Any thoughts?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
RE: About fucking time, Saudi Arabia...
Let's see if it's worth the paper it's written on before getting too excited about it.
My only question is, will rape victims be stoned to death before or after they testify?
Any progress is good for a theocracy like this.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
(August 30, 2013 at 6:33 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Let's see if it's worth the paper it's written on before getting too excited about it.

The 20 in my wallet says it ain't gonna do shit.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Well, it's a step in the right direction. But still, they seem to completely forget that men can (and are) abused by wives too. Kinda shows you what kind of culture it is, what still needs to be worked on.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

They'll just leave the enforcement up to Allah.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
They seem to be getting there on the rights thing quite slowly. I feel so bad for the people who live there right now, but it is kinda comforting to know that things are moving forward so that life will be easier for future generations there. They need a revolution really.
(September 2, 2013 at 3:05 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote: They seem to be getting there on the rights thing quite slowly. I feel so bad for the people who live there right now, but it is kinda comforting to know that things are moving forward so that life will be easier for future generations there. They need a revolution really.

Yeah that works out well everytime.Angel Cloud

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(August 30, 2013 at 7:47 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote: Any progress is good for a theocracy like this.

It is only progress if it is enforced. Short of that it is useless words on pages.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saudi Arabia executes 81 human beings in one day. Jehanne 56 7207 March 24, 2022 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Some Music History For Saudi Stooges ReptilianPeon 0 382 September 25, 2018 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  BREAKING: Cold War-era Wahhabism used as tool against Soviets. Saudi Arabia Admits WinterHold 23 4304 September 14, 2018 at 5:29 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Saudi Arabia: Snapchat and the Wahhabi defeat WinterHold 10 3321 March 16, 2018 at 8:26 pm
  Saudi Arabia: a story of pure darkness WinterHold 18 4541 December 12, 2017 at 7:18 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Saudi cleric says women too stupid to drive zebo-the-fat 38 7024 September 30, 2017 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Mystic
  Women allowed to dive in Saudi Arabia; more talk WinterHold 2 1276 September 28, 2017 at 2:50 am
  Were I A Muslim I'd Stop Going To Those Fucking Mosques. Minimalist 11 3288 June 26, 2017 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Saudi Arabia Law lugal ki en 17 2733 September 28, 2016 at 3:21 am
Last Post: lugal ki en
  These people are fucking nuts! Jehanne 25 5458 August 25, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: RobertE