Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expanding On The Inherent Sexism in The Holy Bible
Expanding On The Inherent Sexism in The Holy Bible
Many of you are probably aware of all the sexism contained in the Holy Bible. It instructs women to be silent in church, as well as many other prejudicial statements.

But I was reading through Genesis today and, during the snafu in the Garden of Eden where Adam and Eve eat the forbidden fruit, these particular words stood out to me:

And to Adam he said,

Because you have listened to the voice of your wife and have eaten of the tree of which I have commanded you, 'You shall not eat of it', cursed is the ground because of you; in pain you shall eat of it all the days of your life;

He ate the fruit and disobeyed God because he....listened to his wife? That is the most flagrantly sexist remark I have heard in a long time. Oh, Adam would have been fine if he had just not listened to his stupid bitch wife, Eve who is a woman and therefore inherently makes bad decisions.

I also wonder why God is a man in the Holy Bible. Since no one can prove the existence of God, God is therefore a figment of the imagination. That may sound a bit ignorant, but it's actually logical. Standard College Dictionary defines imagination as "The process of forming mental images of the objects of perception or thought in the absence of the concrete external stimuli." In other words, if it does not have manifesting measurable qualities (exists in the material world) then it exists only in one's imagination. God(s) is(are) the perfect example of that. There is no documented evidence of any God in the material world, so therefore he/she/it/they do/does not exist in the material world. So the authors of the Holy Bible, which is a book of almost pure fiction, have chosen to say God is a man because of the male dominance in their society. Women were not even allowed to vote in the U.S. until 1919, and men undoubtedly saw them as subordinate to men in antiquity. I would argue that is why the Holy Bible's authors made the Christian God a man.

Then there are the biblical passages about men and lust. Why is it not all right for men to look at women lustfully, but it doesn't say whether it is okay for women to look at men lustfully. Let us let Darrel and Matt answer that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3VrFFjp0...7&index=19

Don't listen to the Holy Bible. It's crap.
RE: Expanding On The Inherent Sexism in The Holy Bible
Quote:I also wonder why God is a man in the Holy Bible.

Because men wrote that shit.

Makes sense to me.
Why do religions think sex is bad? The monotheistic ones do. I'm not too sure about Buddhism or Hinduism. The first doesn't say anything about premarital sex I don't think, but I don't know too much about that. Hinduism has the kama sutra, are they restrictive about sex? I'm gonna look this up.
(September 1, 2013 at 9:35 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Why do religions think sex is bad? The monotheistic ones do. I'm not too sure about Buddhism or Hinduism.

I was privileged to have world religion as a course instead of just christian religion in 1 of my grades so I can help to a degree. BE WARNED. My memory is holey. Fuck, for all I care, my memory is holy. Buddhism is not anti-sex by any bit. Buddhism however is enlightenment-centric and finds sex to be a distraction in reaching enlightenment (enlightenment being a clearing of one's mind from all distractions, professedly stating that this will grant wisdom and the ability to reincarnate into a baby who will host that spirit and become the person who mastered buddhism. They reincarnate into new life to teach others the way of enlightenment for as long as they choose. There is a term for this type of person but I forget the word).

In hinduism, sex is never wrong. Sex in hinduism is only provocative if it interferes with dharma, which is the order of all things. For example, a hobo (no offense) wants to sleep with a noblewoman, or any other woman of wealth. This is against the dharma of life because in the caste system, the homeless (even those deemed untouchable) are meant to deal only with other homeless. They are considered lowly beings, less than a working man for example. The actions of a person determine their standing with karma. Good karma promotes an upgrade in their next life. For instance, when a homeless man dies with many good deeds in his name, He will be born a working class man or even a religious head in his next life. If for instance a rich religious man deeply offends hinduism and maybe kills various innocents, He will be demoted in karma and will be born into an untouchable or maybe even a rat or a fly in his next life. This order is the caste system dictated by the dharma (the cosmic order of all things).
Quote:Buddhism however is enlightenment-centric and finds sex to be a distraction in reaching enlightenment

It sure as hell distracts me. But then, I'm easily distracted.
(September 1, 2013 at 10:44 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Buddhism however is enlightenment-centric and finds sex to be a distraction in reaching enlightenment

It sure as hell distracts me. But then, I'm easily distracted.

I agree. Myself as well.

...What were We just talking about? I totally just lost my train of thought.
Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die, and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!
Fucking, I think.
(September 1, 2013 at 11:09 pm)Walking Void Wrote:
(September 1, 2013 at 10:44 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It sure as hell distracts me. But then, I'm easily distracted.

I agree. Myself as well.

...What were We just talking about? I totally just lost my train of thought.

Religion promotes sexism. Fight against it by promoting sex!
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
THe problem with genesis is that most xtian sects have already labelled that as legend and myth - as well as being too old to apply anymore.

Instead - read 1 Timothy - for a similar statement =- this time from the christ - Saying the he will not allow a woman to have authority over a man - because of EVE's sin - and also instructs that women should be quiet - and submissive to men.

The inherent sexism in the bible started from the idea that procreation was not what we understand it to be today - but one of a seed planted in the ground. THe seed contained ALL of the "stuff" needed for a progeny to develop - none came from the ground - even then they knew that the progeny did not mix blood with the woman for example.

So - the man supplied the seed - and all the woman was - was the dirt the seed was planted in. And the woman was no more worthy than "dirt" as well.

Later - it was thought that the woman provided the female seed - while the man supplied the male seed. In those times - a man was needed to take care of the animals and work the farm - women were less able to do those things. SO a male was preferable - to the point that in some OTHER religions - the female progeny were often killed off when there were too many.

ANd it is that basic sexism - in religions today - especially other religions where woman are treated even worse that xtianity - that will doom religion.
(September 2, 2013 at 7:56 pm)ThomM Wrote: THe problem with genesis is that most xtian sects have already labelled that as legend and myth - as well as being too old to apply anymore.

That's not exactly solving this issue at hand, that is, that the entire Bible is a load of crock.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44087 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  The Holy War Johanabrahams 105 8510 July 17, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: brewer
  Is the Holy Spirit Misleading You? Rhondazvous 251 82787 July 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  The Holy Bible - fact or fiction? val5662 101 13221 March 28, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Holy Tree QuarkDriven 28 6842 July 23, 2015 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  What Exactly Does the Holy Spirit Do? Nope 92 16324 June 3, 2015 at 11:52 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Holy Stupid Cinjin 14 4574 April 27, 2015 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Jimmy Carter leaves Southern Baptists to stew in their own sexism. Whateverist 28 5721 April 24, 2015 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Fish must be very holy Boris Karloff 99 24139 March 25, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  How often does the holy spirit talk to you? TubbyTubby 54 14656 March 20, 2015 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam