Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Exactly Does the Holy Spirit Do?
What Exactly Does the Holy Spirit Do?
What does the Holy Spirit do? When I was a Christian, I had a vague idea that H.S was the method that god and Jesus used to interact with living Christians but I have heard the term used in a variety of ways that are confusing.

For instance..."I am filled with the Holy Spirit" typically means that someone is in a very good mood. Some people use the word Holy Spirit as a synonym for their ability to determine right or wrong. They might claim that they are less inclined to do wrong because of the presence of the Holy Spirit in their lives.

Because Christians are no worse or better than non Christians, what proof do those of you who are religious  have that something like the H.S really exists? What is the H.S and how do you believe it interacts with humans? Do you think that H.S makes Christians less inclined to do wrong than non Christians?
RE: What Exactly Does the Holy Spirit Do?
When I was younger, I was under the impression that the holy spirit was the omnipresent part of god. He was the part that was everywhere at once, and communicated to the Lord proper. Yahweh is the all knowing part, and Jesus is the all powerful part. With their powers combined, they are the One True God.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(May 29, 2015 at 8:33 am)Chad32 Wrote: When I was younger, I was under the impression that the holy spirit was the omnipresent part of god. He was the part that was everywhere at once, and communicated to the Lord proper. Yahweh is the all knowing part, and Jesus is the all powerful part. With their powers combined, they are the One True God.

That is a much better explanation than I ever received when I was a Christian. 
I give 'em one thing. The Christers' are good at making shit up as they go!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 29, 2015 at 8:33 am)Chad32 Wrote: When I was younger, I was under the impression that the holy spirit was the omnipresent part of god. He was the part that was everywhere at once, and communicated to the Lord proper. Yahweh is the all knowing part, and Jesus is the all powerful part. With their powers combined, they are the One True God.

That would explain how God can be benevolent, omnipotent and omnipresent all at once and the world still be as fucked up as it is. Genius. The benevolent part is neither omnipresent nor omnipotent, and the omnipresent part is neither benevolent nor omnipotent, and the omnipotent part who could really fix things, well, he's neither benevolent nor omnipresent. It explains everything. I feel compelled to write a novel on that theme.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

"That little voice in the back of your head telling you not to rape, pillage and burn? That's the holy spirit talking."

That's about how I heard it. Now I realize I can not murder people all on my own.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
I always thought it was the useless part of the trinity its there and it doesn't do shit for anyone.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
What does the Holy Spirit do? 

That is like asking "What does Thor do?" Nothing, it is a product of human imagination.
(May 29, 2015 at 9:35 am)Brian37 Wrote: What does the Holy Spirit do? 

That is like asking "What does Thor do?" Nothing, it is a product of human imagination.

Come on, play the game. We know exactly what Thor does. Trying to boink Natalie Portman. And who wouldn't...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 29, 2015 at 9:36 am)Alex K Wrote:
(May 29, 2015 at 9:35 am)Brian37 Wrote: What does the Holy Spirit do? 

Come on, play the game. We know exactly what Thor does. Trying to boink Natalie Portman. And who wouldn't...

Yea yea yea, I get it. I am a killjoy. It is just after 14 years of seeing the same Yellow Brick Road arguments from all religions, you simply get to the point of being blunt about it. Have at it guys, it is needed, but my personality is cut to the chase. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UCKG: Church tells boy 'evil spirit' hides in him zebo-the-fat 1 356 December 11, 2023 at 4:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Holy War Johanabrahams 105 8514 July 17, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: brewer
  Is the Holy Spirit Misleading You? Rhondazvous 251 82801 July 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  The Holy Bible - fact or fiction? val5662 101 13224 March 28, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why did god only make exactly the number of talking animals that he needed? godlessheatheness 41 8544 March 26, 2017 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  What Exactly Are Sins? Nope 146 20416 July 27, 2015 at 2:06 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Holy Tree QuarkDriven 28 6853 July 23, 2015 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Holy Stupid Cinjin 14 4575 April 27, 2015 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Fish must be very holy Boris Karloff 99 24156 March 25, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  How often does the holy spirit talk to you? TubbyTubby 54 14658 March 20, 2015 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam