Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparing atheist writiers to christian writers
Comparing atheist writiers to christian writers
I kind of came across this earlier, and it struck me. The number of influencial atheist writer is staggering when compared to a similiar list of christian writers. So while they have C.S lewis we ahve Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov and John W. Campell, ernest hemmingway and aristophanes. I like to hear more on this and see if my first reaction is founded.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: Comparing atheist writiers to christian writers
Eh...ask a Christian this, and they will likely spew hundreds of influential religious writers. It's all relative to the individual.
(September 2, 2013 at 2:29 am)Captain Colostomy Wrote: Eh...ask a Christian this, and they will likely spew hundreds of influential religious writers. It's all relative to the individual.

True enough, but I was referring to people that write mostly non religious topics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atheist_authors
compared to this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chr...on_authors

Now I feel the second may relate to how a musician that is a christian may be a christian musician.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
I guess it's too early for me here. I'm not quite following you. Are you wondering at the perceived disparity in influence atheist authors have, or their sheer numbers, or...?

Wasn't Papa Hemingway the one who said something like all thinking (wo)men are atheists? Using that as a guide, it's easy to imagine why writers in general skew towards atheism. Assuming an audience with the same mindset, and Voila!...more published books.
Those two lists aren't related. The "Christian authors" are really authors who write Christian novels, not authors who identify as Christians.

Also, it'll be more accurate to compare not just Christians vs. atheists, but religious vs. atheists since the atheist list consists of authors from many countries and Christianity isn't the only religion in these places, nor is it always the dominant one.

Personally, I'd expect the ratio to be similar to the ratio of religious vs nonreligious in the general population. Religion doesn't seem to affect people's abilities to perform in their jobs, especially since these days most religious people are moderates and barely practice their beliefs.
A big lexicon and the ability to string elaborate tripe into a book does not make invisible sky daddies real. It merely means the writer has a huge lexicon and vivid imagination. As soon as you make the naked assertion that an invisible super hero exists, you have lost the argument, and no big words will save it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 2008 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe EgoDeath 40 4921 November 19, 2019 at 2:07 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Christian Post rejoices that atheist Lawrence Krauss is guilty of sexual misconduct Alexmahone 11 2179 August 12, 2018 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  A Muslim, a Jew, a Christian, and an atheist walk into a coffee shop... Mudhammam 57 12182 November 3, 2016 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Ugh, how come I, an atheist, have the ability to ACT more "Christian" than...... maestroanth 7 1786 April 9, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheist DESTROYS Christian bussta33 6 2242 February 2, 2016 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  Comparing Religion to Fairy Tales and Myths Equal Atheism ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 13 4639 July 22, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: robvalue
Photo Charlie Hebdo responds to the 145 writers who protested their PEN award TheMessiah 1 898 May 3, 2015 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Is it selfish of me to marry a Christian instead of atheist? superAtheistnut 23 5887 April 20, 2015 at 7:12 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  I am better off being a christian than an atheist ZeldaAdmirer 13 4396 November 17, 2014 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72