Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe
Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe

TL;DW An interesting talk about a Christian missionary who tried to convert an Amazonian tribe to Christianity but instead ended up becoming an atheist, essentially because the cultural and linguistic differences of the tribe were such that they required evidence for any new information given to them, meaning they didn't buy into the concept of Christianity. This made him to rethink his former beliefs and eventually he became an atheist and an anthropologist.

Good quote from the video:

Quote:I'm a failure as a missionary. I'm a mediocre scientist. But I have learned a tremendous amount through the eyes of the Piraha...
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
RE: Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe
"Oh Lord, protect me from new knowledge!"
(September 25, 2019 at 7:20 am)EgoDeath Wrote:
Quote:But I have learned a tremendous amount through the eyes of the Piraha...

A wise man!

Always good to respect and listen to the "other side." Always good to admit we may be wrong. Always good to resist the ego-defenses of a challenge. 

Difficult to do, but apparently he did it.
(September 25, 2019 at 7:27 am)Belaqua Wrote: A wise man!

Always good to respect and listen to the "other side." Always good to admit we may be wrong. Always good to resist the ego-defenses of a challenge. 

Depends on what you mean by respect. But sure, I always try to consider that someone I'm talking to might know something I don't, or might be able to teach me something. Only if everyone tried their best to live by that rule. Only if...
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.

No it's not. Nice display limited thinking.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 25, 2019 at 9:01 am)wyzas Wrote:

Another disingenuous attempt by Bel to dirty the waters. Hey, if we should always listen to the other side, then the Christians have a point. If the Christians have a point, they're probably right about some things. If they're right about some things, then they know just as much as the atheists. It's a wash!
(September 25, 2019 at 9:42 am)EgoDeath Wrote: dirty the waters

I thought the point of the story was that we should listen to others as we never know where we'll learn something important. Open-mindedness and all that. 

You said a moment ago:

Quote:I always try to consider that someone I'm talking to might know something I don't, or might be able to teach me something.

But is it muddying the waters for me to say that everybody should listen to everybody? Surely you don't intend to say that Christians have to listen but atheists don't? Because that would be a wildly egotistical thing to say.
(September 25, 2019 at 11:25 am)Belaqua Wrote:
(September 25, 2019 at 9:42 am)EgoDeath Wrote: dirty the waters

I thought the point of the story was that we should listen to others as we never know where we'll learn something important. Open-mindedness and all that. 

You said a moment ago:

Quote:I always try to consider that someone I'm talking to might know something I don't, or might be able to teach me something.

But is it muddying the waters for me to say that everybody should listen to everybody? Surely you don't intend to say that Christians have to listen but atheists don't? Because that would be a wildly egotistical thing to say.

Yes, it's a poor attempt to muddy the waters.

Sure, I will try to consider that someone I'm talking to knows something I don't. That doesn't mean I will, blindly, without discretion, just listen to anyone and respect their beliefs because they're "on the other side."
He was lucky. Remember the guy that went to convert a protected tribe near India ? (Cant recall their name)

He dead.
(September 25, 2019 at 9:01 am)wyzas Wrote:

Sure, it is-as a starting point. Once they've spoken and you've listened, then it's okay to say "Fuck those dumbasses."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1641 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1437 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Backlash after celebrities sing "Imagine" GGG 21 1979 June 22, 2020 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Christian Post rejoices that atheist Lawrence Krauss is guilty of sexual misconduct Alexmahone 11 2155 August 12, 2018 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Explaining What Happens After Death ArtVandelay 36 6677 April 1, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  After An Atheist Dies Der/die AtheistIn 85 27875 July 31, 2017 at 1:09 am
Last Post: Dropship
  Trying to Apply the Ontological Argument in Real Life YahwehIsTheWay 21 4774 April 13, 2017 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Lek
  How important is it to you to convert theists to atheism? Whateverist 50 4873 November 21, 2016 at 1:23 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  A Muslim, a Jew, a Christian, and an atheist walk into a coffee shop... Mudhammam 57 12069 November 3, 2016 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  When it becomes a fact? _Velvet_ 14 2690 October 10, 2016 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger