Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where did you come from?
where did you come from?
I am just curious what kinds of religious background you came from, if any. I came from a christian background, I was raised presbyterian and then later became involved with prentecostalism. Some non denominational churches and then lastly the assemblies of god. it was there at the a/g church that i became my slow walk away from religion.
"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man" --Thomas Jefferson
RE: where did you come from?
I was raised Roman Catholic in a very liberal household, so my parents don't hold on to some of the crazier beliefs like abstinence only, no birth control. I was the first female altar server at my church, I attended catholic school from 4th grade to 12th. It got interesting when I became an atheist around my sophomore year. When it was time to get confirmed, I refused. I was doubting, so I knew I shouldn't. My mom tried to force me to church but soon realized it wouldn't help. Once I graduated I never went back to church and my mother has given up with the religion thing. I have straight up asked her if she thinks I'm going to hell and she says she think God knows I'm a good person and doesn't believe I will.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Catholic but no one really gave two shits about it.
I was raised in a Christian family, with Christian friends, and general permeating Christian influence. I'm not sure about when I stopped believing... or even if I ever believed in the first place. The question with me though... is where do I draw the line of being raised/no longer being raised...? Thinking
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I wasn't raised in a religious home. My mom believes in god and we went to church together when I was 9 through till 15 but she was never strictly religious. In fact, my mother was the first of us to actually step out of church.
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
None, I went to a catholic school but the whole notion of religion and belief in God was beyond me.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
My Mum's always been an atheist and my Dad was too. They did send me to sunday school for a short time which I rebelled against. In my teens I adopted an atheist worldview and discovered Christianity in my mid 20's and converted. I was a Salvationist & got married to one. I then moved to an AOG Church and made a decision not to believe in my mid 30's. Mid way through a discussion with atheists 3 years ago I became a Christian again.
And if the wind shifts direction, he may become an atheist again.
Oh, to answer the OP question;

See my avatar. I AM God.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Brought up in a dysfunctional- bog-Irish-working-class-Catholic extended family..

Irish Catholicism is arguably the most pig ignorant, primitive, bigoted,hateful, and superstitious form of Catholicism on the planet.(but downright New Age compared with some of the literalist morons we get here)
(October 7, 2009 at 8:06 am)padraic Wrote: Irish Catholicism is arguably the most pig ignorant, primitive, bigoted,hateful, and superstitious form of Catholicism on the planet.(but downright New Age compared with some of the literalist morons we get here)

Not in Boston, where the majority of Catholics are Irish, many of my priests had Irish accents. I guess they managed to shake off the superstitions.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1098 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 458 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Did you know? Ryn 2 323 July 4, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: weaponoffreedom
  What did you get for Christmas? arewethereyet 13 723 December 29, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What Hobbies Did You Have As A Kid? BrianSoddingBoru4 51 2352 November 11, 2021 at 7:45 am
Last Post: brewer
  What did you learn to do because of the pandemic? arewethereyet 31 2186 June 27, 2021 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What job(s) did you have as a kid? arewethereyet 25 2138 April 25, 2021 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Sal
  Where do these idiots come from? onlinebiker 23 2651 April 22, 2020 at 5:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Did you "spring forward"? Gawdzilla Sama 44 2775 November 5, 2018 at 10:19 am
  I did it and you should too. Brian37 41 4094 August 25, 2018 at 7:24 pm