Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Groups
Atheist Groups
I'm curious if anyone has any knowledge/experience in starting a local atheist group. I don't know of any in Boston, MA and when Is search under Boston Atheist I'm taken to a website that says under construction till Jan. 2008....

I'm thinking about possibly forming a group here to have some sort of meetings and events and I have some experience in running events given I'm an executive staff member of Anime Boston but that's in an already established organization. So I would like to get some info on starting something like this.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Atheist Groups
(October 7, 2008 at 12:08 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote: I'm curious if anyone has any knowledge/experience in starting a local atheist group. I don't know of any in Boston, MA and when Is search under Boston Atheist I'm taken to a website that says under construction till Jan. 2008....

I'm thinking about possibly forming a group here to have some sort of meetings and events and I have some experience in running events given I'm an executive staff member of Anime Boston but that's in an already established organization. So I would like to get some info on starting something like this.
Bit far for me to attend your meeting!! Just looked up American atheist organisations mentioned in The God Delusion and can't see anything for where you are but you might try contacting one or some of them for help.See the Appendix section.
Good luck.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Try going to meetup.com and look for local atheist groups in your area.
I've actually found that already. I'm a crazy mixture of shy and outgoing so I feel trepidation about going to a meetup without people I already know. ><

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Do it anyway. There's also bound to be atheist groups for activities you like. For example, there's an atheist boardgaming group in my area. Those types of things tend to be really tame. Live a little!
Yeah, I guess for me I have a hard time breaking the ice when it comes to new situations and new people, but once I do I acclimate very quickly. Big Grin

I think that it would be pretty interesting to have goups of participants to this forum grouped according to common views about the problems we are debating.
It would give to some of us a feeling of togetherness ,of supporting each others opinion in the same group,and reduce a little bit the fierce spirit of attack one against the other which characterises all forums.
Of course that the administrators/moderators would have the mission of organizing such groups which coud be pretty dificult.
Don't take this suggestion too seriously.
I don't think that would be too possible, considering that everyone's opinions are their own, so to try to micromanage different groups under the atheist label might be hard. You could, in theory, but I don't think it's practical. I myself hate labels because they say so little about a person yet people rely too heavily on them.

(October 7, 2008 at 12:08 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote: I'm curious if anyone has any knowledge/experience in starting a local atheist group. I don't know of any in Boston, MA and when Is search under Boston Atheist I'm taken to a website that says under construction till Jan. 2008....

So being at the throat or at the hair one to the other is preferable?
That's what is just happening a part of time the other part being funny.

The real problem is if someone has the slightest idea of the purpose of the forum except then arguing at Olympyan heights of philosophy.
Would the forum have a common platform it could be published some day
But that is also mere utopia so let things be as they are.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is There an Atheist Groups Powerful Enough to Counter Fox and Protect Gay Rights Rhondazvous 6 1736 September 14, 2015 at 3:03 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Both groups feel the other side is dishonest? Mystic 27 10823 July 18, 2012 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Should there be Atheist groups? Brick-top 59 40244 September 29, 2008 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet