Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discrimination agianst atheists.
Discrimination agianst atheists.
If you are a atheist and have been disrciminated agianst, please share your story here.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: Discrimination agianst atheists.
Is this an AA meeting? I've never been discriminated against, not even in the local church. But keep in mind I do currently live in New York, which is rather liberal.

My family has been divided over the years between Catholics and atheists, but that's about all the trouble I've had.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

I've not been discriminated against by christians.
Only annoyed by them.
But I live in England which seems to be, overall, a more tolerant place than much of the US.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

The closest thing I've ever experienced is my wife not wanting me to tell her father that I don't believe in god, but I don't exactly go around waving a banner that screams "ATHEIST!"

Outside of this forum, I don't really identify myself as an atheist.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I have no qualms informing people I am an atheist, but I have never experienced any discrimination due to being outspoken about it. People I have encountered seem fine with it, and that may be because I have been careful to steer clear of the fundamentalists.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Nope, no discrimination. But like FNM, I don't particularly advertise that I am IRL. If someone asks, I'm honest with them, but it's not a topic that matters much in my life, besides the forums, that is. I would probably be kicked out of my lodge if they knew that I don't believe in any gods, but since we have a policy of no religious discussions, I'm pretty sure the matter will never come up Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Let's see. I've been denied employment, been denied housing (although I was able negate that one by being sneaky), I've had rocks thown through my windows, and had my motorcycle vandalised.

I'm reasonably sure that the above all count as 'discrimination'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Holy shit, Boru. Mind to talk more about the background of these situations?
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

From what I can tell, Boru either lives in Saudi Arabia or Mississippi.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I run a small business in a small religious town, and I'm sure that if my atheism ever became common knowledge then I'd lose almost all my business. I'm not too certain I wouldn't have a rock or two thrown through my windows or my car or truck vandalized. So while I've not been discriminated against, I don't advertise it either.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How should an atheist react to discrimination? Der/die AtheistIn 21 2718 March 26, 2019 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2200 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Discrimination against Atheists? Spooky 24 4371 October 27, 2015 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Jaxxie1181
  religious discrimination by the reigning majority religion of Christendom Deepthunk 32 10213 October 19, 2015 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Deepthunk
  Discrimination of atheists Dystopia 32 6248 June 30, 2014 at 2:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Petition the BSA to change its policy of discrimination kopper 15 5577 April 24, 2011 at 1:31 am
Last Post: reverendjeremiah