Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
religious discrimination by the reigning majority religion of Christendom
religious discrimination by the reigning majority religion of Christendom
There is a proverbial ten ton gorilla in the proverbial room in America, an issue that sits right out in front of everyone that no one will talk about for fear, fear of harassment, fear of becoming a social pariah, even fear of intimidation and violence.

The issue is religious discrimination when it's perpetrated by the reigning majority religion of Christendom. Further at issue is the pubic media silence on the issue which is a direct result of said discrimination. News media and print outlets, aside from being largely staffed by members of the majority religion, fear reprisal from their Christian shareholders and backlash from religious lobbyist organizations who will strike furiously at any criticism of their own religion, even if that criticism is to condemn the mistreatment of everyone from gays to unbelievers that's taught by their sacred religious text and encouraged by more than a few modern day religious leaders.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/12/living/pew...index.html

Then there's this...

http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2015/09/2...itutional/

In this little piece of political and religious propaganda tripe, Ted Cruz state's the he's a constitiutionalist and swear that the religious majority in america is being persecuted for the sake of actions taken by those in the middle east. First, if I had a public comment option at my disposal, I would point out that it is those who do not maintain blind belief in a religion and its religious leaders who are being persecuted here and now, in this country, by Christians.

For example, the eternally unmentioned and consistently ignored by the press and public, legal inequity and open, public, discrimination practiced by Cruz's own state of Texas.

"Texas, Article 1, Section 4:
No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."

Obviously, requiring a person running for office to "acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being" IS a religious test for office. I SAY AGAIN, THE STATES CONSTITUTION VIOLATES THE AMERICAN CONSTITUTION BECAUSE REQUIRING THE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF ONE SUPREME BEING IS IN FACT A RELIGIOUS TEST FOR OFFICE. This Law is not an oxymoron, this law plainly mandates that the state will not discriminate against any religion as a test for office but will freely and openly discriminate against the minority that does not believe in religion itself. If the state of Texas were a public speaker in a packed auditorium, he would be saying "we're not discriminating against anyone, except that one guy standing in the corner".

Furthermore as too Cruz's claims of christian persecution, in this nation as opposed to some Muslim country halfway around the world, Christians perpetuate the vast majority of hate crimes, and are almost never the victims according to FBI hate crime statistics released and widely reported on just a few short months ago. http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/02/20/...news-lies/

Not reported in the above article, but also reveled by these statistics is that fact that not only are protestant Christians responsible for the vast majority of religious hate crimes in this country, but Christians in general are also responsible for the vast majority hate crimes based on sexual orientation.

So right there, for two different and valid reasons, Ted Cruz is a hypocrite and a liar. And while its frustrating enough that the press, with its vast majority of christian stockholders who fury at one word of criticism for their churches, ignores these inequities, it's even more maddening that you have removed the public comments section from these articles so that an average citizen does not have a venue to speak where they might stand a chance of actually being heard.

When I was a child, my parents called me a Jehovah's witness too the schools I attended including those in the deep south after we moved there, and I suffered for it every single day. In the fifth grade I said that I didn't really believe a word of it, and the other kids declared me an atheist and i suffered more for that, including numerous assaults, and acts of discrimination not just by other students but also by the teachers, and by other kids parents and siblings which finally culminated in a bottle being thrown from a car window by a local teenager and striking me in the side of the head to give me a sever concussion and frankly, nearly kill me. That happened when I was twelve, and the teenager who threw the bottle was never charged with anything, largely because the police force of Bremen Georgia, the town where the incident occurred, managed to somehow loose the bottle from their evidence locker in less than twelve hours. These are the type of hate crimes and injustices your religion and its followers hide and cover for while maintaining publicly that their religion and its followers are morally superior.

Finally, the press and politicians in this country are bent on sweeping these attitudes and behaviors under the rug while claiming openly that the christian majority is not only infallible and blameless, but claiming falsely that the religious majority is being persecuted by the incredibly small religious minorities around them, minorities who are in reality being largely victimized by them. Not only is that propaganda nearly identical to the propaganda the nazi's spread about their victims, but the practice of preventing victims from speaking publicly and refusing to allow the facts about who's victimizing who to be stated publicly is nearly identical to their pre-holocaust agenda as well.

But the fact that every single nazi was a christian because the nazi required them to be christian to join their party, and the fact that every group of people, from the Jewish people to atheists, homosexuals and even Jehovah's witnesses, were a group people that was openly hated in the catholic church at that time, have also been swept under the proverbial rug for seventy years.

I suppose those of us who refuse to obey their plainly fictitious religion, will never see justice or equality because your religious leaders gain money and power from followers and have every interest in oppressing and forcing as many people as possible into their churches. and they plainly demonstrate that those religious leaders have bought injustice and prejudice from every single elected official in this country.
[Image: jha7gg.jpg]
RE: religious discrimination by the reigning majority religion of Christendom
(September 22, 2015 at 2:16 pm)Deepthunk Wrote:

That's a great essay. I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. 

I would love to reply, but I now have a headache from the strobing colors in your signature.

Please change that! (You can leave the colors, just not the flashing.)
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Sorry about what happened to you from the loving christians. In this case, I realize it's more of a bullying thing in school. If there's a group of people, and someone is alone and on the outside, they pick on them relentlessly.

Still, I wish they all would listen to Carlin.. Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
The thing to remember about Cruz and the rest of the fuckheads is that the constitution they "like" exists only in their heads.  They have an imaginary version where xtians get to rule the country. 

In effect you are simply dealing with a xtian bigot with no legal support for his position.
(September 23, 2015 at 12:23 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: That's a great essay. I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. 

I would love to reply, but I now have a headache from the strobing colors in your signature.

Oh, sorry about that, I designed it that way to draw attention to what he said, but I've been meaning to change it anyway. I have it made with other graphics and other sigs I could toss in there, I'll see what I can do.

On a side note, if flashing colored lights give you headaches you should actually get that checked out, it could be a sign of epilepsy, ( for real, i'm not being sarcastic, if your not just joking you should check with a neurologist, that is a symptom of epilepsy).
(September 24, 2015 at 11:24 am)Deepthunk Wrote:
(September 23, 2015 at 12:23 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: That's a great essay. I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. 

Oh, sorry about that, I designed it that way to draw attention to what he said, but I've been meaning to change it anyway. I have it made with other graphics and other sigs I could toss in there, I'll see what I can do.

On a side note, if flashing colored lights give you headaches you should actually get that checked out, it could be a sign of epilepsy, ( for real, i'm not being sarcastic, if your not just joking you should check with a neurologist, that is a symptom of epilepsy).

I was joking. I already had a headache, at the time (I build custom motorcycles, so I spend a lot my my day looking at the flare of a TIG welder, which is still really bright through the lens), hammering and grinding loudly on metal sheets, and in general trying to give myself a headache. But the flashing did hurt my eyes, because of the headache, and made it worse.

It's just so distracting that it made it hard to focus on what you said in your post, which is, I think, counter to your purpose in making it flash. If it's so annoying that someone doesn't even want to look at it, then they're less likely to read either your post or our signature. That I did is just a reflection on the fact that I'm roughly as curious as the proverbial cat.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(September 23, 2015 at 12:42 pm)Salacious B. Crumb Wrote: Sorry about what happened to you from the loving christians. In this case, I realize it's more of a bullying thing in school. If there's a group of people, and someone is alone and on the outside, they pick on them relentlessly.

Still, I wish they all would listen to Carlin.. Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

That's the thing, it wasn't typical schoolyard bullying, there's a list of stuff my teachers said and did that I didn't list there because it would have run too long.

And the teenager that threw the bottle was someone I had never met, even though the person driving the car he was riding in was the older sister of a kid from my fifth grade class, and the bremen police "losing" the bottle with the guys fingerprints on it right out of the evidence locker in the nine or ten hours between the time the bottle was handed to them and us going to the county courthouse to have a warrant sworn out for the thrower wasn't typical bullying either.

It was all, i suspect, a direct result of a number of ministers in that town having giving more than one sermon about the atheist's in their schools supposedly trying to convert their children to atheism, satanism, and of course, homosexuality. Because no one can be any one thing a southern minister hates, they have to be all things that anybody anywhere hates or the preachers just isn't satisfied.
You have to keep in mind that America is about the only Western country at least partially bordering on a christian theocracy. These things are virtually unknown in post war Europe.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(September 24, 2015 at 11:29 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote:
(September 24, 2015 at 11:24 am)Deepthunk Wrote: Oh, sorry about that, I designed it that way to draw attention to what he said, but I've been meaning to change it anyway. I have it made with other graphics and other sigs I could toss in there, I'll see what I can do.

I was joking. I already had a headache, at the time (I build custom motorcycles, so I spend a lot my my day looking at the flare of a TIG welder, which is still really bright through the lens), hammering and grinding loudly on metal sheets, and in general trying to give myself a headache. But the flashing did hurt my eyes, because of the headache, and made it worse.

It's just so distracting that it made it hard to focus on what you said in your post, which is, I think, counter to your purpose in making it flash. If it's so annoying that someone doesn't even want to look at it, then they're less likely to read either your post or our signature. That I did is just a reflection on the fact that I'm roughly as curious as the proverbial cat.

well, that fixes the flashing, I'll leave that one for now and come up with something better to put there later

(September 24, 2015 at 11:48 am)abaris Wrote: You have to keep in mind that America is about the only Western country at least partially bordering on a christian theocracy. These things are virtually unknown in post war Europe.

I was starting to think I was the only person in the country that noticed that. The press tells us over and over that were a free and democratic nation, but both of the two reigning political parties are militantly religious and the religious demographics of our elected officials in washington don't even come close to matching the religious demographics of the populace. twenty percent of the country is religiously "unaffiliated" (which actually means agnostic, but most people don't know that), but there's only one token member of congress and no senators that are unaffiliated which is a fraction of one percent, and the political parties unilaterally choose which candidates will be viable and which wount.

I think what we have in this country is more closely akin to a theocratic autocracy than a democratic republic.
(September 23, 2015 at 12:52 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The thing to remember about Cruz and the rest of the fuckheads is that the constitution they "like" exists only in their heads.  They have an imaginary version where xtians get to rule the country. 

In effect you are simply dealing with a xtian bigot with no legal support for his position.

Lol, sorry I overlooked that post the first time through.

I have noted those who call themselves constitutionalist (which is not actually a word according to spellchecker) are often only fond of the constitution when it works to their benefit, such as pretending it's free speech when Phil Robertson attempt's to incite Christians to violence by suggesting it's right to rape, torture and murder an atheist's family if he disproves their religion, but want to wipe their butt's with the first amendment if that atheist points out that its bigoted religious extremism for Christians to say and so such.

They just have a universal double standard, one where they're always right and your always wrong. And in this case they like to threaten rape and torture for the sake of their supposed "rightness".

I guess that's why their the source of all "goodness", and if you say their not they tear your lungs out and show them to you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4029 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  How should an atheist react to discrimination? Der/die AtheistIn 21 2649 March 26, 2019 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Discrimination against Atheists? Spooky 24 4345 October 27, 2015 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Jaxxie1181
  A Religion for the Non Religious Catholic_Lady 75 15533 July 20, 2015 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12707 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  When will the Middle East become majority Atheist? TheMessiah 99 20005 April 5, 2015 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheists/Non-Religious What was your Craziest Belief while in your Religion? Eel_LahjicK 27 8600 August 17, 2014 at 12:24 pm
  Discrimination of atheists Dystopia 32 6153 June 30, 2014 at 2:09 am
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16351 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism
  Discrimination agianst atheists. Lemonvariable72 18 4140 September 8, 2013 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72