Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most acurate predictions in a sci-fi novel
The most acurate predictions in a sci-fi novel
Here's one I thought would be fun to throw out there...

Which sci-fi novel do you think has most accurately predicted the future? Explain why you think this and defend your choice.

My choice is Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.

Here's a better summation than I could present in the form of a comparison with Orwell's 1984...

[Image: raw]

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
RE: The most acurate predictions in a sci-fi novel
I think a lot of what Orwell wrote about is relevant to today's world. The church tries to control people in a very similar way to what Orwell wrote, especially the part about sexual repression.
It not just religion it is in every aspect. Crowd psychology is a remarkable tool they use. I think they are both right in some ways, in honesty the only means of real oppression is give the false sense of freedom. We have that now, two party system which is fake, marked by endless distractions to control the masses. If i was not at work I would love to explain the details of subliminals and other propaganda tactics.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
It's true. That's why we have people who are more interested in voting for American Idol contestants than they are voting for their elected leaders. People don't want to be bothered with learning the issues and then thinking about them, they want to be told what to think or not think at all.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Both Huxley and Orwell were right.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Wait a minute. If a science fiction novel has had more revelations come true than the bible .. does that mean it must be divinely inspired? Is Huxley the true prophet? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear ...
No, that only worked with L. Ron Hubbard.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(September 12, 2013 at 5:54 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: No, that only worked with L. Ron Hubbard.

And Gerald Gardner.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I'm not sure that either of those qualify as science fiction.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 12, 2013 at 6:05 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I'm not sure that either of those qualify as science fiction.

Boru

Especially Huxley's, since it was written as social commentary, and is used in sociology classes everywhere.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sci-fi/fantasy author criticizes book store for stocking dead guys Foxaèr 9 1120 April 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Sci-fi Azu 31 2292 August 23, 2018 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: fromdownunder
  Recommend some sci-fi authors Foxaèr 26 2225 March 29, 2018 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Finished writing my novel Foxaèr 7 596 February 13, 2018 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  For Fantasy/Sci-Fiction Lovers: What Makes You Reada Book? Rhondazvous 51 5366 February 27, 2017 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Been working on a new novel. Foxaèr 34 2759 May 24, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Fantasy and Sci-Fi movies thread ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 5 1473 July 22, 2015 at 8:34 am
Last Post: ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE
  War of the Dead: A CoH zombie fiction novel concept Creed of Heresy 2 1203 March 29, 2013 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  What is your favorite novel? CleanShavenJesus 13 3990 March 13, 2013 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  MUST see for Fantasy and Sci-Fi fans thesummerqueen 2 2050 February 9, 2012 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: passionatefool