Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommend some sci-fi authors
Recommend some sci-fi authors
I am somewhat tired of reading fantasy and crime.  If you know of any good science fiction writers, please mention them here.

I read the first chapter of Alastair Reynolds' The Prefect, and it is rather entertaining.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Recommend some sci-fi authors
Roger Zelazny, in particular the Amber Series. Donnerjack and Lord of Demons are also read worthy.

Terry Pratchett. His Discworld stories are a total crack up.

If you like older sci-fi, try Asimov or Heinlein. Ted Sturgeon writes some strange stuff, which is pretty entertaining.

For harder sci-fi (more tech) probably can't beat Greg Benford.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Hard stuff: Arthur C. Clarke

Weird stuff: Harlan Ellison

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
L Ron Hubbard
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The Polish guy: Stanisław Lem.
I only read Solaris, but I hear that he keeps the theme throughout his other works.
(February 12, 2018 at 12:46 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: L Ron Hubbard

I kind of avoid him, you know, because of the whole Scientology thing.....
~ Erin Hunter
(February 12, 2018 at 1:15 pm)pocaracas Wrote: The Poloish guy: Stanisław Lem.
I only read Solaris, but I hear that he keeps the theme throughout his other works.
Hey, hey ... he's a great writer, so please, not "Poloish" ... but Polish guy 😜
Yeah, yeah ... I know everything because of the keyboard😛
But I agree that you should read something written by Stanisław Lem.... don't watch ...read!!!
"Alone is what I have. Alone protects me." 
“I may be on the side of the angels but don’t think for one second that I am one of them.”
“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day."
Thank you for the recommendations.

I am probably going to read something by Asimov. I have always wanted to read his works, but I never got around to it. I figure I will start with Nightfall and the Foundation series.
~ Erin Hunter
ohh I was reminded of one more Polish guy, Andrzej Sapkowski
he wrote a few nice books..and the basis is  "The Witcher"!!! Smile
..even a game and a movie was created based on this book
but the book is the best! Tongue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrzej_Sapkowski
"Alone is what I have. Alone protects me." 
“I may be on the side of the angels but don’t think for one second that I am one of them.”
“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day."
(February 12, 2018 at 11:23 am)Lutrinae Wrote: I am somewhat tired of reading fantasy and crime.  If you know of any good science fiction writers, please mention them here.

I read the first chapter of Alastair Reynolds' The Prefect, and it is rather entertaining.

Dominic Greens Ant and Cleo books.

Saucerers and Gondoliers (Ant and Cleo Book 1) Kindle Edition

99p in the kindle store

"Flying saucers do not land in country parks. They are not piloted by Englishmen. They do not bear nameplates saying "HAWKER SIDDELEY AVIATION." And they are never, ever filled with smuggled catering packs of Monster Munch.

Britain has had a top secret colony in space for decades. Unfortunately, the colony has grown tired of being run by the mother country - and the mother country has decided it's time to send in the troops. Between these two sides are Anthony Stevens and Cleopatra Shakespeare, abducted from England and hurled into a war between Britain, America, and the newly, fiercely independent United States of the Zodiac.

Where is the mysterious hidden colony of Gondolin? How did the United States of America come to have interstellar spacecraft in the 1950s? And who or what is Truman J. Slughound the Third? Find out in this book from Hugo-nominated author Dominic Green, guaranteed to contain colour-changing aliens, Godless communists from Altair, rednecks from Barnard's Star, space fighters, rocket pistols, death by ecstasy, very bad hair, and more explosions than you can shake a stick at."

My new favourirte author.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sci-fi/fantasy author criticizes book store for stocking dead guys Foxaèr 9 1111 April 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Sci-fi Azu 31 2275 August 23, 2018 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: fromdownunder
  Would you recommend his dark materials? snerie 16 5314 June 15, 2017 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: John V
  For Fantasy/Sci-Fiction Lovers: What Makes You Reada Book? Rhondazvous 51 5327 February 27, 2017 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Novels: what have you read recently, how did it affect you and do you recommend it? Whateverist 16 3567 July 14, 2016 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Fantasy and Sci-Fi movies thread ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 5 1469 July 22, 2015 at 8:34 am
Last Post: ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE
  Fans vs Authors BrokenQuill92 1 751 January 28, 2014 at 1:37 am
Last Post: PhillipEllis
  The most acurate predictions in a sci-fi novel ManMachine 23 6889 September 17, 2013 at 8:19 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  MUST see for Fantasy and Sci-Fi fans thesummerqueen 2 2050 February 9, 2012 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: passionatefool
  Best Sci-fi movies passionatefool 39 25906 January 6, 2012 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Zen Badger