Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your favorite novel?
What is your favorite novel?
What's your favorite book? Doesn't have to be a classic or masterpiece, I'm just wondering. I've been looking to read something new.

My favorite novel is, without a doubt, Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

RE: What is your favorite novel?
The Bible. In spite of being poorly written it is a marvelous piece of fiction.
ohh boy this is hard.

The Blinding by Ellias Cannetti or Ulysses by James Joyce
Either the Brothers Karamazov (in the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation) or The Catcher in the Rye.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(March 12, 2013 at 7:46 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: What's your favorite book? Doesn't have to be a classic or masterpiece, I'm just wondering. I've been looking to read something new.

My favorite novel is, without a doubt, Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow.

Possibly IT by stephen king but the ending is so shite in my opinion because of predictability.

Stephen king endings that are good are Pet semetary and Thinner.

One ultra ultra physiologically disgusting book is skag boys by irvine welsh, the guy who wrote the book trainspotting. The whole trainspotting book series is amazing to read because it actually is shocking, at least i think so.
But it is all written in a scottish accent but i still found it readable, if you're american you might have trouble i don't know.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I don't read fiction, generally, so there's not much to choose from.

by Iris Murdoch

[Image: nuns-bk.jpg]

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson

(I've read the first two cycles, but have yet to read the third.)

[Image: Lord%20Foul%27s%20Bane.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(March 12, 2013 at 7:58 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Ulysses by James Joyce

I hear that that is amazing. It's worth my time, then?
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

I thought it was a great exercise in craft but utterly forgettable as a narrative. I have to be continually reminded that it's the "greatest blah blah blah" or I forget that I ever read it.......but opinions are alot like assholes.
(I've been told that the author was actually going for this specifically - that's what makes it so great, modernism.....I really don't care, I still think it was boring and a waste of clear talent-tell me an interesting stry or I won't feed you, no matter how beautifully your boring story is told, tell me an interesting story in a horrid way and you'll still get your dinner, we can get wasted later and talk about how t "cough" embellish the narrative.)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman (and both terrific authors in their own right).

Basically a comedy about the christian armageddon.

Some of the choice quotes;

Quote:"I don't see what's so t'riffic about creating people as people and then gettin' upset 'cos they act like people," said Adam severely. "Anyway, if you stopped tellin' people it's all sorted out after they're dead, they might try sorting it all out while they're alive."

Quote:"All the higher life forms scythed away, just like that."
"Terrible."
"Nothing but dust and fundamentalists."
"That was nasty."
"Sorry. Couldn't resist it."

Quote:"You're Hell's Angels. . . What chapter are you from, then?"
REVELATIONS . . . CHAPTER SIX.

Everyone elses choices seems so much more cultured Tongue
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
American Gods, also Gaiman. Egyptian gods running a funeral parlor...slavic gods wasting away in Chicago, Odin as a conman....lol.
(I loved the two angels in good omens...lol)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Your Favorite Religious Movie ? The Architect Of Fate 25 2412 November 24, 2022 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Uberpod
  Your favorite Star Trek Universe Alien Foxaèr 27 1007 November 28, 2020 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Your favorite fictional pub? Gawdzilla Sama 63 3219 May 7, 2020 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Your favorite October/Halloween re-watches Foxaèr 6 635 October 12, 2018 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Post your Favorite Short Stories vulcanlogician 42 7386 June 3, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Post your favorite blues song. vulcanlogician 29 3341 March 27, 2018 at 6:25 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Finished writing my novel Foxaèr 7 583 February 13, 2018 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Favorite Scenes from Favorite Fiims chimp3 46 3378 February 10, 2018 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Athene
  What Is Your Favorite Music Album Of All Time? Edwardo Piet 30 3550 December 5, 2017 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Your favorite tv shows NOW vs. your favorite tv shows of all time Casca 14 1705 January 15, 2017 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus