Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Part 3
Part 3
This seems to be the fulcrum of Bart's lost faith, and the only real point he makes in all that I have read so far.

I did this one seperatly because it is not a bible contradiction.

Bart Wrote:the Babylonians. But his praise of God, and of his holy city, takes
a vicious turn at the end, when he plots his revenge on God’s enemies:
“Happy shall they be who take your [Babylonian] little ones,
and dash them against the rock.” Knocking the brains out of the
Babylonian babies in retaliation for what their father-soldiers did?
Is this in the Bible?
The God of vengeance is found not only in the Old Testament, as
some Christians have tried to claim. Even the New Testament God
is a God of judgment and wrath, as any reader of the book of Revelation
knows. The Lake of Fire is stoked up and ready for everyone
who is opposed to God. This will involve eternal burning—an everlasting
punishment, even for those who have sinned against God,
intermittently, say, for twenty years. Twenty trillion years of torment
in exchange for twenty years of wrong living; and that’s only the
beginning. Is this really worthy of God?

"Is this really worthy of God." the meat of the argument. To answer his question in a word.. Yes. It is Worthy of the God of the bible.

The problem is Bart. has destroyed the bible in his mind with empty and easily answer contradictions, and therefore can not build an accurate picture of God. Which creates a vacuum in His mind that he quickly replaces with a straw man version of God. One that most of you seem to ascribe to. It's this loving Omni-max god would will roll over when challenged on anything thing that bart shows is in contradiction to the God of the bible.

That is not My God and that is not the God of the bible. The God of the bible does indeed get angry, He does seek vengeance, He is wrathful ,and He is righteous, which means He will punish the wicked, and not be sorrowful or apologetic about doing it. How can a perfect God be these things? don't these negative emotion mean He is not perfect? No. Then why is it wrong for us to display these emotions. In short these emotions are reserved for God. They are reserved for one who can rightly and with out question or doubt discern who is righteous and who is not. the reason it is wrong for us to display these emotions, is because we do so out of a sense of selfrighteousness, and not out of a sense of absolute righteousness.

Again as we've discussed about the nature of sin. The act in of itself is not sinful it is where you are in relation of said act and what God said about it does sin occour. The same is true here. The act of vengeance in of itself is a Godly attribute, it is when we take this right of God and place ourselves in the position of authority to exact revenge does one sin.

That is why I say, Just because you have built a picture of what you think a 'perfect' God would look like, does not mean you nor Bart knows what he is talking about. God is described in the bible. and if your version of a 'perfect god' does not align itself with how God is described in the bible then, you are speaking of someother god you have accepted/contructed.

To say your version of god does not exist because he is a contradiction of how God is portrayed in the bible is an absolute no brainer! OF COURSE HE DOES NOT EXIST, YOU MADE HIM UP!!! The bible Proves You made Him Up!!! So then why oh Why does a 'smart man' like bart write a book about how the bible contradicts his strawman/strawgod if he know nothing the scripture says corobrates his creation?!?!?!

The only thing I can conclude from this point is this guy is just trying to sell books/Meet his publishing requirement for his staff position at princeton.

As far as the rest of this book goes it looks like bart cut and pasted the skeptics annodoated bible and added commentary to it. I can keep going if you like or if you have a specific contradiction you would liked answered but this guy's arguments are getting weaker as the book goes. the vast majority of his contradictions are based in a contextual omission. As such I can just provide a link to the Skeptic's annodated bible answered.
RE: Part 3
(September 14, 2013 at 2:32 pm)Drich Wrote: OF COURSE HE DOES NOT EXIST, YOU MADE HIM UP!!!

Well we think this of all versions of god.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(September 14, 2013 at 3:24 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(September 14, 2013 at 2:32 pm)Drich Wrote: OF COURSE HE DOES NOT EXIST, YOU MADE HIM UP!!!

Well we think this of all versions of god.

' my version has not been tested or ever examined if you are testing and examining your version.
Quote:Yes. It is Worthy of the God of the bible.

That's because you are a fuckhead who thinks that smashing babies against a wall is okay as long as your fucking sly-daddy does it. This is the very gist of your problem, Drippy. You make excuses for your "god" because he is "god" but he exists only in your own benighted little mind.

The problem is there are other fuckheads who think they'll give "god" a helping hand by killing a few babies for him.

Ehrman is correct. The whole bloody mess has to go in order for humanity to mature. A lot of us have outgrown your absurd need for a "god." Time for you to catch up.
(September 15, 2013 at 11:01 am)Drich Wrote:
(September 14, 2013 at 3:24 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Well we think this of all versions of god.

' my version has not been tested or ever examined if you are testing and examining your version.
Bullshit I did a demonstration of how the bible is bullshit on this forum.
http://atheistforums.org/thread-20609.html
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(September 15, 2013 at 12:40 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Yes. It is Worthy of the God of the bible.

That's because you are a fuckhead who thinks that smashing babies against a wall is okay as long as your fucking sly-daddy does it. This is the very gist of your problem, Drippy. You make excuses for your "god" because he is "god" but he exists only in your own benighted little mind.

The problem is there are other fuckheads who think they'll give "god" a helping hand by killing a few babies for him.

Ehrman is correct. The whole bloody mess has to go in order for humanity to mature. A lot of us have outgrown your absurd need for a "god." Time for you to catch up.

So, your defaulting to a anti Go philosophy rather than directly answer the points I just made. Why is that?

(September 15, 2013 at 1:30 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(September 15, 2013 at 11:01 am)Drich Wrote: ' my version has not been tested or ever examined if you are testing and examining your version.
Bullshit I did a demonstration of how the bible is bullshit on this forum.

Smile I noticed you hid your anti God thread in the safety of the atheist only section of the website, and now what? you want to see if I can put a dent in your arguements now that you have 5 pages of like minded people patting you on the backside? So what if I can? are you honest enough to admit your wrong, and will be willing to change how you think? Or will you like Minnie simply run from a verifiable fact driven discussion and default to a personal philosophy? (Will we be discussing your faith?)
(September 15, 2013 at 1:43 pm)Drich Wrote:
(September 15, 2013 at 12:40 pm)Minimalist Wrote: That's because you are a fuckhead who thinks that smashing babies against a wall is okay as long as your fucking sly-daddy does it. This is the very gist of your problem, Drippy. You make excuses for your "god" because he is "god" but he exists only in your own benighted little mind.

So, your defaulting to a anti Go philosophy rather than directly answer the points I just made. Why is that?

(September 15, 2013 at 1:30 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Bullshit I did a demonstration of how the bible is bullshit on this forum.

Smile I noticed you hid your anti God thread in the safety of the atheist only section of the website, and now what? you want to see if I can put a dent in your arguements now that you have 5 pages of like minded people patting you on the backside? So what if I can? are you honest enough to admit your wrong, and will be willing to change how you think? Or will you like Minnie simply run from a verifiable fact driven discussion and default to a personal philosophy? (Will we be discussing your faith?)

Well first let's clear up something. I have no faith at all in anything as st Paul defines faith. Now I a open minded person and I go where the evidence leads. So if you want to make me a christian then all you have to do is 3 simple things.
1. Prove there is a god.
2 prove it is the Christian god.
3. Prove the christian god worthy of worship.
Signifying nothing.
Drich, your god hypothesis hasn't been tested because it is impossible. And a hypothesis that can't be tested or falsified, is a shit hypothesis and no use to anyone.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Quote:Why is that?

Because you never make any points. You simply babble on about your vision of your fucking god as if you are some sort of expert. What you are is a believer in your own bullshit. You have no evidence to back up your absurd claims.

When you find some I will take you seriously but I sure as hell am not going to hold my breath.
(September 15, 2013 at 2:12 pm)Rationalman Wrote: Drich, your god hypothesis hasn't been tested because it is impossible. And a hypothesis that can't be tested or falsified, is a shit hypothesis and no use to anyone.

I beg to differ. The bible is the god hypotheses and it makes some easily falsified claims. Ex the prophecy against tyre, the plant created before the sun, and Noah's flood.
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88918 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Remember this part in the bible? Foxaèr 17 2937 June 20, 2017 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Rewriting the bible part 5 - duderonomy (Deuteronomy) dyresand 6 1704 March 23, 2016 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Alex K
  rewriting the bible part 2 - exodus dyresand 68 14435 March 21, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Rewriting the bible part 4 - Numbers dyresand 2 1028 March 15, 2016 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  rewriting the bible part 3 - Leviticus dyresand 11 3154 March 14, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Rewriting the bible part 1 - Genesis dyresand 4 1950 March 12, 2016 at 3:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A question for theists Part V - A new hope dyresand 12 3901 November 14, 2015 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  A question for theists Part III dyresand 4 1522 November 4, 2015 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  A question for theists Part II. dyresand 18 4680 October 29, 2015 at 3:10 am
Last Post: ignoramus