Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Changing OS
[split] Changing OS
By no means should you feel forced into using Linux, but it is provably a far better OS to use. Latest releases of Ubuntu are arguably easier to use than Windows. The main problem comes down to a paradigm shift. You are used to installing programs by double clicking an executable file, when in Linux you don't have to since you can install it through the package manager. Same for my MacBook, to install most programs all I need to do is drag the program to my applications folder and it installs itself.

Sure, it takes some getting used to, but it isn't a reason to give up. 90% of the problems people suffer when switching to Linux are down to a poor distro choice. The point of Linux is that it comes in all different flavours for all manner of people. Advanced users have certain distros, whilst beginners have things like Ubuntu.

Kyu was complaining to me the other day about how his Suse install wasn't connecting to his wireless network. I told him he probably had to configure the wireless himself, cue a short rant about Linux not working. Fact is, I told him that if he didn't want to do the hard work, he should use a distro like Ubuntu which holds your hand and tries to do everything for you.
RE: Piracy...your take?
I do tend to see much reluctance to switch from one OS to another, not only from Windows to Linux but also from Windows to Windows. Because the steps are gradual people don't realize it as much but your Windows 7 is vastly different from your Windows 2000 or Windows 98. And people bitch and complain every time they have to learn something new. But once they get the hang of it they seldom want to turn back.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: [split] Changing OS
Since both replies are not about piracy I split them off.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I'm running Vista on my gaming rig now, and just installed Windows 7 on my crap laptop to see how it is. It's nice, but there are some new features that are just annoying...
"The finality of death is the coldest truth one must face. Religion makes the perfect distraction." - Anonymous
I'd love to get used to Ubuntu if I had someone to sit there and teach me how to use it. I've had Windows 95/98/ and XP. lol I'm holding out for Windows 7 when I can save up the money to potentially by myself a new processor or just a new tower in general.

I feel like such a newb with that OS. >.< lol
There are a load of Ubuntu tutorials out there. If you want I'd be happy to be in IM with you as you went through them Tongue
If I can even get that messenger to work correctly in Ubuntu. >.> lol So confusing.
Pidgin? It's self explanatory. Soon as you start it, it asks you to add an account. Simply add MSN or Windows Live Messenger, enter your details, and you're off Big Grin

Course the easiest way to learn is to run Ubuntu off the Live CD. It doesn't install to your system, so nothing is mucked up. It just runs off the CD (or DVD) and you can use it as a real OS. Great for getting to know the system without installing it.
Sounds easy enough. I tried to install Pidgin on Kubuntu once...and I was so damn confused on how to do that. Might be easier in Ubuntu.
I prefer aMSN on linux over Pidgin.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 6883 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [user split] Further Peanut Gallery Commentary on the Staff Log of Bannings and such. Angrboda 8 1408 September 29, 2018 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Banana split. Gawdzilla Sama 7 750 July 18, 2018 at 2:41 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  [split] AF Hall of Shame, various discussion including Denmark & bible contradiction Edwardo Piet 181 12946 March 1, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  [split] I Think I May Have Come Close to Dying Friday Night Jesster 229 28248 July 17, 2017 at 2:22 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  [split] The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures) Edwardo Piet 93 10140 December 12, 2016 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  [split] Warm Greetings - The Not Welcome-y Stuff BrianSoddingBoru4 74 7770 May 24, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Changing names is fun! Iroscato 102 9597 October 27, 2015 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Losty
  [split] FSTDT Fundie Of The Year Awards 2015 Rev. Rye 173 38871 February 3, 2015 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Shooting clubs [split from Abiogenesis is impossible] DramaQueen 27 3982 August 19, 2014 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger