Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rest in Peace meaning
Rest in Peace meaning
When someone dies, people usually say "Rest in Peace" but what does it really mean?
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

RE: Rest in Peace meaning
That their struggles in life are no longer an issue.
It also conveys the fact that you are thinking about them.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I don't care, "Rest in Pieces" is always funny.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
It means they think they are "resting" and not fucking dead.
(September 23, 2013 at 2:13 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It means they think they are "resting" and not fucking dead.

It does sound odd, but 'rot into pieces' is a little too callous. The bereaved often aren't looking for science lessons on decomposition at a funeral.
RIP in peace.

It means that no matter what: you do not want them to get back up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjMiDZIY1bM

Zambers, y'know?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(September 23, 2013 at 10:59 am)wwjs Wrote: When someone dies, people usually say "Rest in Peace" but what does it really mean?

It's from the Catholic latin mass. Believed to have been appropriated from a Biblical verse in Isaiah which roughly translates as,

' ...when he is tired of the evil that surrounds him he will come and rest in peace.'

This is found on Hebrew headstones from 1 century BC.

Catholics stole it, chopped the long bit off the front, everyone now uses it.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Thanks MM [Image: 255o0f6.jpg]
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the metaethical meaning of 'should'? Disagreeable 1 367 February 26, 2022 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Ahriman
  [Serious] Meaning in Life Gnomey 14 856 July 18, 2020 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  The Super-Meaning of Romantic Relationships InquiringMind 45 6781 September 29, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Let's Say I Achieve "Meaning." What Do I Do Next? InquiringMind 51 8019 September 25, 2016 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The Meaninglessness of Meaning Mudhammam 42 13702 August 13, 2015 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  The meaning of it all...? Baqal 12 3141 August 30, 2014 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  "What is the meaning of life?"... Sejanus 48 11164 August 5, 2014 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Meaning of the Universe - Maybe Beta Ray Bill 19 6465 June 4, 2014 at 5:20 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Survival of Fittest ? Why not Survival of brotherhood and Peace ? Khansins 23 3644 March 21, 2014 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: tor
Lightbulb In the universe there is no meaning nor is it meaningless FractalEternalWheel 5 2749 January 18, 2014 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Faith No More