Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A history text I was thinking attempting
A history text I was thinking attempting
I was thinking of attempting a history text on atheist/agnostics, murdered for disblief. I want to have a few thoughts from forums members on this idea.
- Is there any good texts on a similar subject.
- What some good examples of individuals
- What criteria for who gets accepted and rejected.
- Basically do you think it is a good idea or no?
Bear in mind I intend this to be a more popular type history book rather then academic, starting in the most ancient times and working to now. I still want accuracy as much as possible bear in mind.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: A history text I was think ing attempting
Martyred...for 'the cause' of atheism? Whut?
RE: A history text I was thinking attempting
(September 26, 2013 at 2:36 am)Captain Colostomy Wrote: Martyred...for 'the cause' of atheism? Whut?

I just fixed it, It's way too late for me now lol. anyway read it agian and it should make more sense.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
In Guns, Germs and Steel and in the early pages the kidnap of Atahualpa by Pizarro would be a case of many killed for their disbelief. Pizarro killed many of Atahualpa's men when Atahualpa (illiterate) threw Pizarro's bible on the ground. Pizarro was trying to make Incas Christians and serve Spain. They massacred many Incas that day.

What really struck me about that story was Pizarro's speech to Atahualpa before he handed him the bible. Basically something like, repent from your ways and worship Jesus the one true god blah blah blah. Christians' conversion techniques haven't changed for so damn long!

Edit: oh they weren't atheists, they thought Atahualpa was a god.
(September 26, 2013 at 2:30 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I was thinking of attempting a history text on atheist/agnostics, murdered for disblief. I want to have a few thoughts from forums members on this idea.
- Is there any good texts on a similar subject.
- What some good examples of individuals
- What criteria for who gets accepted and rejected.
- Basically do you think it is a good idea or no?
Bear in mind I intend this to be a more popular type history book rather then academic, starting in the most ancient times and working to now. I still want accuracy as much as possible bear in mind.

I'm not so sure about murder but Atheists were definately around in Elizabethan England and were among those fined for not attending church on Sundays. There are a number of academic books on the topic of atheism in Elizabethan England. Generally in history atheists were ignored, agnostics tended to suffer more.

Anyway... might be better to take a look at general social attitudes towards atheism rather than emulate the histrionics we would normally expect from the god-botherers. You can always slip a few murders in for flavour.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Quote:Edit: oh they weren't atheists, they thought Atahualpa was a god.

And Pizarro thought "jesus" was a god. They were all pretty dumb.

It sounds like an excellent idea for a book. However, I'd spend some time determining that it's not already been written, and realize that just because a book is good doesn't mean it's likely to be published. I'll let any actual authors on the forum speak to that latter question.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 26, 2013 at 3:10 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: What really struck me about that story was Pizarro's speech to Atahualpa before he handed him the bible. Basically something like, repent from your ways and worship Jesus the one true god blah blah blah. Christians' conversion techniques haven't changed for so damn long!

Demand that they convert, then torture and murder the dissenters? That sounds about right.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Well, speaking as an author, I find myself hoping the idea has enough legs to work as a book. The reason Richard Dawkins' or Christopher Hitchens' books are so accessible is they work more as a collection of short related subjects published under a single banner. Please don't let me put you off, particularly since I've yet to be published myself; if you can find the way to make it work and are passionate enough about the subject, really go for it. Write the book you've always wanted to read.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2260 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  History of abolishing God from the society Fake Messiah 42 2543 February 26, 2022 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  I was thinking... dyresand 22 4207 April 22, 2017 at 2:49 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Good Wikipedia article on the History of Atheism. Jehanne 6 1643 April 5, 2017 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  A History of Pious Fraud? Firefighter01 0 907 November 22, 2016 at 7:09 am
Last Post: Firefighter01
  Thinking of death dyresand 27 7293 February 23, 2015 at 3:40 pm
  On Unbelief: II. Thinking About Thinking Mudhammam 0 1108 December 14, 2014 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
Photo Atheism liberated me from pointless thinking,and made my life enjoyable. MountainsWinAgain 72 19409 October 30, 2014 at 10:54 am
  For the Thinking Man. Artur Axmann 101 24379 May 29, 2014 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
Rainbow Science vs Religion: A Brief History of Anger RageaholicsAnonymous 8 2666 October 2, 2013 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Cato